Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Couple things I learned about Japanese driving games...  (Read 2030 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Couple things I learned about Japanese driving games...
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:42:50 pm »
So I live in Massachusetts and recently discovered the Round 1 arcade in Taunton mass. Its really a treat to have this close to where I live. This is the only largish arcade in my area. Anyway they have a good amount of newer Japanese games (racing and non racing) I've gone 2 weekends in a row and I had a great time each time.

So I had the opportunity to try out Initial D Arcade stage 8 and Wangan Midnight 3DX plus. First thing i noticed was that there are no seat sliders on most Japanese racing cabinets. I was quite scrunched into them. I'm guessing it has to do with the average height in japan or something. One game Tank Tank Tank (not really a car driving game but it has a wheel and pedals) they had both the american version and the Japanese version and as expected the american version had adjustable seats and the Japanese did not. 

Just thought that was interesting.

Also of note Force Feedback on the Japanese machines seems to be much much lighter than what I am accustomed to on US machines.

After playing both Initial D and Wangan Midnight I have to say I'm not sure what the draw of those games is. Maybe a fan of those franchises can enlighten me. Both games felt like very light driving sims with pretty floaty drifting. I played one round of Initial D and drifted around each corner with no problem and didn't find there was much going on in terms of gameplay.

Anyway the board has been light on content lately so I thought I'd throw this out there for discussion.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
Re: Couple things I learned about Japanese driving games...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:05:35 pm »
I've been playing some RTR Alcatraz lately and I set the feedback to light whenever I remember. I love the driving games.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 01:11:16 pm »
Yeah, i'm actually not a big FFB fan, its neat but not really realistic.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 04:14:25 am »
I've been playing some RTR Alcatraz lately and I set the feedback to light whenever I remember. I love the driving games.

Rush the Rock? May I ask which version you are playing, that delivers force feedback?