Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells-Gardner calibration issues  (Read 623 times)

skanndelus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wells-Gardner calibration issues
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:20:49 pm »
Hoping an expert on here can help me.

A few times since I bought it used 3 years ago, I'd power it on and the calibration would be wrong, and the image mostly green.

I'd go in the back and fix it on the control board, but now the image that shows up with the sliders to calibrate the image doesn't show up at all.

This is what the control board looks like

And this is how calibration is supposed to look, but instead it's just a black box

I've looked and looked online for the part number to replace the board but I have a feeling an expert on here might know just what to do!

Thank you

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
Re: Wells-Gardner calibration issues
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:44:46 pm »
Wells-Gardner made hundreds of different monitor models.

What is the model number?

skanndelus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:44:56 pm »

Is there a reliable way to find out?

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 06:17:57 am »
try adjusting the screen volts up a fraction on the flyback,i would also suggest once this is done you enter factory settings and set up colour gains and background as it sounds like the eeprom has taken a zap

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:16:14 pm »

Is there a reliable way to find out?

Look for the paper label with the model number on it.

Or if the label is missing/defaced then visit the monitor picture identification websites such as:

http://homearcade.org/BBBB/monitor.html

skanndelus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 07:14:28 pm »
try adjusting the screen volts up a fraction on the flyback,i would also suggest once this is done you enter factory settings and set up colour gains and background as it sounds like the eeprom has taken a zap

I appreciate the advice. I am a novice, which knob on the flyback do I fiddle with?

skanndelus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:30:56 am »

I found to enter factory settings you hold SEL and DOWN.

I'll keep scouring the web to see if I can make sense of this flyback.

FYI the controls are mounted to the metal frame. Maybe it should be moved off of a metal surface to cut down on the chance of it getting hit with any more zaps?

skanndelus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 02:32:06 am »

Pretty sure it's the D9200

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 03:43:18 am »
the flyback is the transformer with the controls for focus and screen volts-it is the large plastic component that has the fat red cable from the anode going to it

the screen volts is a pre brightness control,if you eeprom got a zap then loads of settings will be corrupted-upping the screen volts a little will help you see the menu options and then using factory settings you can adjust everything to the correct level

skanndelus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 10:19:27 pm »
the flyback is the transformer with the controls for focus and screen volts-it is the large plastic component that has the fat red cable from the anode going to it

the screen volts is a pre brightness control,if you eeprom got a zap then loads of settings will be corrupted-upping the screen volts a little will help you see the menu options and then using factory settings you can adjust everything to the correct level

Perfect. Is it adjusted with the unit turned off and after it's been de-charged?

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 03:19:01 am »
no,the chassis needs to be connected and running,just have a mirror in place so you can see what is happening on the screen as you adjust the screen volts,like i said screen volts is a pre brightness control and not to be confused with b+ adjustment
it is the bottom pot on the flyback,just google flyback transformer image and then you will see exactly what i mean

skanndelus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 10:49:36 pm »
no,the chassis needs to be connected and running,just have a mirror in place so you can see what is happening on the screen as you adjust the screen volts,like i said screen volts is a pre brightness control and not to be confused with b+ adjustment
it is the bottom pot on the flyback,just google flyback transformer image and then you will see exactly what i mean

This worked VERY well. If you have PayPal I would love to buy you a beer for your troubles.

For some reason the screen knob had been super glued in place. Can you think of a reason why that would be?

Also, since fixing it, the screen now shows a "No Signal" image when booting up/shutting down, moves up halfway, and doesn't seem to shut off with the smart power strip anymore. Are these some factory settings I restored that need to be disabled?

ed12

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Offline Offline
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 10:57:36 pm »
the screen knob is normaly gluded in place by the factory to stop it from shifting..
but this dose not reflect real world >tubes gunning down or super good<
so the factory will as a rule set it to a normal range
btw there is a voltage chart they go by for screen voltage/foucs voltage
but u need a high voltage probe to see it proper

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

robocrash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 04:49:06 pm »
We're you able to get past the "No Signal" message?  I've got that problem right now and I don't know how to fix.

skanndelus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 06:07:55 pm »
We're you able to get past the "No Signal" message?  I've got that problem right now and I don't know how to fix.

It only shows up when booting up and shutting down. Once the PC sends a signal it goes away and shows the correct image.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31