Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Switch to connect/disconnect USB accessory?  (Read 1546 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
Switch to connect/disconnect USB accessory?
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:35:21 am »
I have a proprietary Bluetooth adapter accessory connected to the USB port on the Onkyo surround sound receiver in my living room.
Recently I added a USB extension cable to get the Bluetooth adapter up higher for better range and it's working great throughout the house.

The only other problem is that the phone connects to it even when the receiver is turned off.
So I have to plug it in when I want to use it and unplug it when I'm done.

I'd like to install a switch inline with the USB extension cable to turn it on and off instead of having to unplug it.
Is it safe just to install a switch on the power wire?

The only on/off switches I see are for raspberry pi and that connection is only being used for power.
Does a product for my specific purpose of disconnecting USB devices exist?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
Re: Switch to connect/disconnect USB accessory?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:17:31 pm »
Alternatively, are there powered USB hubs that absolutely will not work until powered?
The receiver triggers a smart power strip which could in turn power a wall wart for the hub.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 01:26:38 pm »
If your hub is powered couldn't you just clip the +5V on the cable to the hub (or pull out the pin)?  Then when you power on the hub it would apply power to the device.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 01:48:49 pm »
Yeah a simple switch to 5v (on the hub's power or the port's power) will work just fine.  I've done it on more than a few projects, especially for car chargers, ect.