Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Centipede Bartop with Raspberry Pi 3 and Attract Mode Completed! (Lots of pics)  (Read 20620 times)

Vidiot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
I recently finished building a Centipede themed bartop. First time ever building a cab for someone else. This one was built to be given as a gift to a friend. Her favorite game was Centipede so the theme was obvious. I used a Raspberry Pi 3 with Retropie / Attract Mode and I'm really happy with the results. The cab boots straight into Centipede then pressing the menu button goes to the main game selection menu. I kept the controls fairly simple with a joystick, 2 action buttons, and of course a trackball. The trackball is the 2 1/4" Happ USB model. Lucian045 here on the BYOAC forum printed all my artwork for me and it turned out fantastic. I created an Attract Mode theme based off of the Centipede arcade bezel and I really like how it turned out.

I was moving along at a pretty good clip on this one and I didn't take the time to make a thread when I started and post progress updates. I decided to just make this thread after the build was done this time.

Started with this idea:

Cut out a template shape using hardboard:

Transferred the shape to the white melamine board I'm using for the sides:

Cut out the shape leaving a little extra so I can router it down to the template for a smooth edge:

Got the base cut. Had to router out a recess in the base so the trackball had the depth it needed:

Went with a metal control panel this time. Bought a piece of 16ga steel at Lowes, cut it down with a metal cutting blade on the jigsaw and bent the steel until I had the shape I wanted:

Got the holes drilled out and used small screws to attach a small piano hinge:

Painted the control panel and sanded it smooth:

Once I got the artwork applied I immediately populated it with controls:

Continuing the build:

Finally, the completed bartop:

Power on and off with the power socket switch. Volume knob.

I think I'm going with MDF from now on instead of melamine board. The melamine chips a lot and scratches easily and so I end up sanding and painting it anyway. I wanna give a shout out to Lucian045 for the awesome artwork printing. I went with the reverse printed marquee this time and I love how it turned out. I'm going to upgrade my Dream Machine marquee soon!

Youtube video is up!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:36:05 pm by Vidiot »

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:14:35 pm
Excellent work  :applaud:

no intake or exhaust fans ? know monitors can generate quite a bit of heat.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
One of the nicer bartops we've seen around here. 

:cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Quality work. Super nice.

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
That turned out great, nice work! The art, fit and finish are all superb and the little details like the top speaker grill, serial plate and power/volume on the back really make it look polished. :cheers:

I like the idea of transferring the template to hardboard, hadn't thought of that.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Thanks for the compliments guys.  :cheers:

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
Hah, is that a Kade in there, did you interface T-ball with the Kade?

Did they work out the bugs for the t-ball tracking, is it more fluid?

Vidiot

• Offline Offline

Yeah I used a KADE for the joystick and buttons but the trackball is just a USB HAPP ball connected directly to the Pi as a mouse. Works great!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Very nice.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
Beautiful bartop. How did you manage to bend that steel. I'm working with an old karate champ cab and I'd love to be able to make a replacement metal control panel. Anything I make out of wood for it doesn't quite do it justice.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
Very nice bartop!  :applaud:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Quality work!

Question:  How did you get the square pegs for the bolts on the CP to look so damn near perfect?  What did you use to make them?  I see that the previous photos have round holes drilled but then in the next photo they are square and painted.  It's almost as if you swapped yours out for a professionally made one.  Looks legit! :applaud:

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Beautiful bartop. How did you manage to bend that steel. I'm working with an old karate champ cab and I'd love to be able to make a replacement metal control panel. Anything I make out of wood for it doesn't quite do it justice.

Thanks! I actually had a friend help me with that part. Basically we heated the metal up with heat gun and clamped it down to a piece of steel beam that had rounded corners, then used a dead-blow hammer to bend the metal over the beam to get the larger curve shape. For the back side that has the tight bend he used a metal brake to make the bend. I wish I had some photos of that process but we didn't take any then. I want to get one of those metal brakes. I see Harbor Freight sells one that isn't too expensive. It would be great for smaller projects like a bartop CP.

Quality work!

Question:  How did you get the square pegs for the bolts on the CP to look so damn near perfect?  What did you use to make them?  I see that the previous photos have round holes drilled but then in the next photo they are square and painted.  It's almost as if you swapped yours out for a professionally made one.  Looks legit! :applaud:

DeL

Thanks man. I just used a small file to file out the corners until they were square. If you go slow and take your time you can get a pretty nice result. Also, I never explained the screws holding down the hinge. Originally I wanted to have the hinge welded to the CP but the hinge is made out of aluminum and couldn't be welded so I marked the holes and drilled them out and used a tap & die to thread the holes. After the screws were screwed in they were grinded off on the outside. Once painted and sanded they practically disappear and the surface was smooth so you can't tell under the CP artwork.

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
  • i'd buy that for a dollar
Very nice build!

where is the speaker I might have missed it? Mono I'm guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Very nice build!

Thanks! I ment to include this photo with the others. I must have forgot.

deepblue

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2018, 07:39:28 pm
  • Billy vs. Steve
Beautiful work. I am making a Pi based bartop also - how tough is it to modify the attract mode theme? The base theme I have seen is just a basic list of emulators, would be nice to jazz it up.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Lots of hard work and it paid off! Well done.

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
  • i'd buy that for a dollar
Very nice build!

Thanks! I ment to include this photo with the others. I must have forgot.

That's very clean !

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I wish I had some photos of that process but we didn't take any then.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Beautiful work. I am making a Pi based bartop also - how tough is it to modify the attract mode theme? The base theme I have seen is just a basic list of emulators, would be nice to jazz it up.

Thanks. It's actually not that bad. It's similar to making a theme in Mala. Actually, like Mala, Attract Mode doesn't call them themes. They are called layouts. This becomes important when you start looking for the folder they go in. It's a layouts folder. It's located here:  /usr/local/share/attract/layouts

I started with my background image of the Centipede bezel and edited it how I wanted it to look and sized it to 1024x768 for my 4:3 monitor. Then you make the areas where you want the gamelist, marquee, video or snap transparent. That background image is saved as a png file which supports the transparencies. The layout consists of the background image and a layout .nut file. The .nut file has all the config information for the layout and this is where you have to put the coordinates for the gamelist, snap, marquee, and any other info you want to show on your layout.

This is a link to the reference for making layouts:
http://attractmode.org/docs/Layouts.html

Here is a link for the main readme for Attract Mode:
http://attractmode.org/docs/Readme.html

Hopefully that will get you started.  :cheers:

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm

Thanks. It's actually not that bad. It's similar to making a theme in Mala. Actually, like Mala, Attract Mode doesn't call them themes. They are called layouts. This becomes important when you start looking for the folder they go in. It's a layouts folder. It's located here:  /usr/local/share/attract/layouts

I started with my background image of the Centipede bezel and edited it how I wanted it to look and sized it to 1024x768 for my 4:3 monitor. Then you make the areas where you want the gamelist, marquee, video or snap transparent. That background image is saved as a png file which supports the transparencies. The layout consists of the background image and a layout .nut file. The .nut file has all the config information for the layout and this is where you have to put the coordinates for the gamelist, snap, marquee, and any other info you want to show on your layout.

This is a link to the reference for making layouts:
http://attractmode.org/docs/Layouts.html

Here is a link for the main readme for Attract Mode:
http://attractmode.org/docs/Readme.html

Hopefully that will get you started.  :cheers:

Also, I don't know about the Pi build but the pc build of Attract Mode works with Mala themes directly. You can use the Mala layout editor and just move those files into the layouts folder.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation

Yeah I used a KADE for the joystick and buttons but the trackball is just a USB HAPP ball connected directly to the Pi as a mouse. Works great!

Why did you go with the Kade, doesnt the pi have enough outputs to do what you needed to do?

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Why did you go with the Kade, doesnt the pi have enough outputs to do what you needed to do?

I never could figure out how to use the GPIO pins for controls and I already had the KADE I bought a long time ago and hadn't used yet..

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2021, 02:37:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Awesome work, makes me cringe about my feeble attempts!!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Nice looking bartop.  Very professional looking. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Awesome and very well done.   :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
That's one awesome looking build!  :cheers: The only thing that I would change is to mount that joystick deeper. Easy to do in your case, just add four nuts between the panel and the mounting plate. Unless you have very large hands.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Thanks guys.

That's one awesome looking build!  :cheers: The only thing that I would change is to mount that joystick deeper. Easy to do in your case, just add four nuts between the panel and the mounting plate. Unless you have very large hands.

Thanks man. I didn't really think about going with a shorter shaft or lowering it. Good idea.  :cheers:

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Well done  :applaud:
Now I have no excuse anymore not building a trackball cabinet. What is the exact model and brand of trackball you are using?
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Well done  :applaud:
Now I have no excuse anymore not building a trackball cabinet. What is the exact model and brand of trackball you are using?

Thanks. I got this HAPP 2 1/4" USB trackball from Twistedquarter on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120427304073?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
This looks great! Love the metal control panel and the clean lines you (and your friend!) were able to achieve with the radiused front. Very nice!

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
This looks great! Love the metal control panel and the clean lines you (and your friend!) were able to achieve with the radiused front. Very nice!

Thanks. I appreciate that.

I updated the original post with this youtube link.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Your sisters friend huh? Good luck - she sounds cute.  ;)

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Metal CP? ---fudgesicle--- yeah! Oh, and bitches love Centipede.
%Bartop