Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MDF Sealer or primer  (Read 7216 times)

RumblePuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2020, 11:06:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MDF Sealer or primer
« on: January 25, 2017, 04:53:38 am »
Hello all.
Doing some research in advance of painting my cabinet and wondering if anyone uses MDF Sealer before using primer or if it's even necessary. I'm looking to have a very polished and shinny finish to my cabinet when done.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: MDF Sealer or primer
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:58:05 am »
I just use primer.
Coat or 2 of primer then paint.
Then depending on the finish you are going for maybe a laquer/clear coat etc of some kind.

RumblePuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 08:49:14 am »
Thanks for the reply.
I'm aiming for a painted finish similar to what you'd get on a new car.
I don't have spray painting equipment so will be using cans of spray and then using wax or some other finishing product used on a new car paint job.

RobodocX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 05:22:54 pm
  • Looking to help with woodworking questions.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:15:51 pm »
MDF takes paint quite well and is relatively homogeneous so using a sealer is not usually needed. Primer plus paint should do it. Keep in mind that getting the kind of glossy appearance that you are referencing from car paint jobs is mostly dependent on what you put on OVER the paint. if you want a car-type finish, you will need primer then paint and then a couple coats of a topcoat such as lacquer to get the depth of finish and shine.
Richard

Woodworker and computer builder.
Traditional, digital design, CNC and laser techniques. Always happy to help if I can.

RumblePuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:44:49 am »
MDF takes paint quite well and is relatively homogeneous so using a sealer is not usually needed. Primer plus paint should do it. Keep in mind that getting the kind of glossy appearance that you are referencing from car paint jobs is mostly dependent on what you put on OVER the paint. if you want a car-type finish, you will need primer then paint and then a couple coats of a topcoat such as lacquer to get the depth of finish and shine.

Thanks for the info.
I've had a look around for different clear coat products and there's loads.
I'm going to have a practice run on some spare MDF with some different colours and products to see what results I get.

Cheers

Qawsed11

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2017, 12:32:01 pm
  • Bartop maker and arcade restorer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:19:42 pm »
My friends uses primer, rustoleum roll on, multiple coats and wet sanding then buffed with wax and it looks like glass. There is a website about painting cars with rolling on rustoleum and he basically used that process,on his machine.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?40341-My-quot-rustoleum-50-roll-on-paint-job-quot#fmOZv67MYuOJRhm8.97

Here's a pic of his cab.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 01:43:43 pm »
I was overwhelmed by the amount of primers available. I went to Home Depot and my head nearly popped off.

What kind is best to use on MDF? Rustoleum? Which one? Kilz? Kilz2? Something else?

Qawsed11

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 04:31:05 pm »
I was taught to always buy the same kind of primer as your paint. I.e. Enamel primer if enamel paint. Etc. etc. I know that's not always the case, but this makes it super easy. if I'm using rattle cans I stay with the exact same brand because when spraying they can wrinkle so easily if the primer and paint don't like each other. If your rolling it doesn't matter brands so much. I have used Kilz as a great sealer/primer with rustoluem paint but it is very very thin. If spraying I recommend a high build primer that is sandable which helps fill in scratch marks.

Qawsed11

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 04:35:07 pm »
One more thing, I love using rattle cans for small paint jobs and bartops but for an entire full size cab I did not have good luck getting even coats and it took ALOT of cans. I would recommend rolling it, but I probably just suck at spraying.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 08:04:02 pm »
Has anyone found a black sealer/primer/paint all in one? Or is that asking for miracles?  :lol

Hurrakkett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2017, 10:03:53 am
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 10:02:04 am »
Great tips! Thank you!   :afro: