Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Noob about to start my cabinet , questions  (Read 3993 times)

Vincefaro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Noob about to start my cabinet , questions
« on: August 27, 2016, 12:16:27 pm »
So I am about to start construction on my Cabinet and I have my pattern I a going to ready to put on the 3/4 inch finished plywood . My question is I cutout the pattern with a jigsaw leaving 1/4 to 1/8 of inch outside the lines and then finish off with a router to get it exactly on the measurements ?

theAEoN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2020, 11:13:15 am
Re: Noob about to start my cabinet , questions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:56:51 am »
Use a circular saw for the long cuts and a jigsaw to finish off the corners and edges. Remember the rounded edges on the corners (and more importantly, leave material for the inside corners to be rounded around the monitor!) for the t-molding.

bdn103

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:29:59 pm
    • Classic Arcade Cabinets - FREE arcade cabinet build plans, printable PDFs and CNC plans
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:37:29 pm »
Use a table saw or circular saw for your long cuts. Use the jig saw to cut out the side panel 100%. Sand the edges to round off any rough cuts wit the jigsaw.  Us the router with a tracing bit to cut the second side to the cabinet, they will match perfectly. If you aren't going for 100% authenticity, I would worry more about a smooth line then staying firm to the line. If you need some printable templates and cabinet measurements, you can download them here.....

www.classicarcadecabinets.com

Thanks
Brian 

RobodocX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 05:22:54 pm
  • Looking to help with woodworking questions.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:57:23 pm »
Steps:

1. Mark out your pattern on first side of cabinet.
2. Cut the straight segments using a circular saw with a straight edge guide (best) or a jigsaw.
3. Use the jigsaw to complete the curved or radius areas.
4. Sand the edges until you are happy and things are smooth.
5. Use the first side to mark out the second side as a template.
6. Cut out the second side staying slightly outside the lines (jigsaw is fine here).
7. Attach the two sides together using clamps or screws. Use a "pattern flush trim bit" with a router the flush the second side to the first side and make them identical. A flush trim bit is just a straight or spiral router bit with a bearing that is exactly the same diameter as the cutter, allowing you to use another piece as a template.
8. Separate the two sides and move on to the rest of the cabinet. Rinse and repeat for duplicate parts.

Rick
Richard

Woodworker and computer builder.
Traditional, digital design, CNC and laser techniques. Always happy to help if I can.