Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Artwork for Bartop -  (Read 7872 times)

NBAworm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2022, 11:12:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Artwork for Bartop -
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:03:51 am »
Going for a retro/minimal look for a RPi3 Bartop setup.  I have white balltop Seimitsu sticks and translucent Seimitsu buttons.  Any suggestions?

Next issue is finding where to print...  I know there are some people on the board that print, so now I just need to finalize everything before I pull the trigger!

Also, I can't decide what color T molding would look best with this.  I like black, but grey or white seem like they might not stick out as much. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Artwork for Bartop -
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:07:22 am »
Printing depends where you are.

T moulding I think I would go dark Grey to match the "Replay" in your Marquee as the "Retro" and most of the cab is white.

But as a side note your buttons\stick layout looks awfully close to each other.

NBAworm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 04:54:22 pm »
I got my samples today, so I'll know if dark grey, light grey, or black look better with this.

Yeah, the layout is a bit pinched, but I figure for a bartop it won't be used as a two player often, and I'd rather have it than not be able to do 2player...  I guess I could go wider with the layout, but again it seems like a lot of work for how often it will be used for 2p.

I may hit up some of the board members (stpcore, lucien) for printing, I just need to track down emails and get all my measurements in order.  I would go with GoG, but even for a barcade my measurements seem to be an "upgrade price" in every category. :(

Getting antsy to put it all together, I'll try to take pics and post a final product.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 02:23:03 pm »
I dig the artwork but if you are looking for suggestions I would lose the forward arrows in the word replay. They just don't add anything to me. Also, retro would be back in time so I would consider reversing the arrow in the "o". Otherwise, nice job.  :applaud:

NBAworm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 11:01:42 am »
It’s been a while, but found some finished pics... I’ll post more later.  Biggest disappointment is volume- I need a small amp instead of passive mini jack speakers.  Need a current pic, as I brushed the chrome t-mold for more of an aluminum look to match marquee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:05:21 am »
Looks pretty good. I have a Lowboy I am building and coming up with a nice subdued side art is tricky... I think you pulled it off pretty well ;) I like the textured part on the marquee, breaks up the monotony of the white and gives some dimension. Makes me want to put a little more effort into my own. Congrats.

Try a 3116 amp or something off eBay. 12v will get you plenty of volume.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 05:57:12 pm »
"Less is more" sometimes and this turned out nice.
Though I'm not a fan of the shaded circles around the joysticks. At first glance I was thinking they were large clear dust covers, because they're not in alignment with the arrows. I would have done something different with those.  In any case, this minimalist art is working well for that bartop.  I think bartops should have simpler art applied to them, given the nature of their design.  A lot of people bombard you with imagery on a small bartop, trying to fit everything and the kitchen sink in there. Keeping it simple is key to the size and design balance of a bartop cabinet, IMO.  :cheers:

djlunchbox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:07:54 am
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 04:01:45 pm »
That is cool Simple, clean and definitely that 70's vide.  :applaud:

OsQuadrados

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2018, 02:06:11 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 02:05:05 pm »
Hello!

This layout is amazing.
Is there any chance you can share it?

Thanks!