Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe TI-1 wiring  (Read 5685 times)

hman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2019, 01:36:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rowe TI-1 wiring
« on: January 21, 2017, 01:15:07 pm »
I just purchased the TI-1 and trying to get it working. The spindle rotates but will not stop on any selection. I found a wire harness on the right side which is not plugged in anywhere and I can't find where it should be connected to. Can anyone help? Thanks.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
Re: Rowe TI-1 wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:23:34 am »
You will find a number of harnesses not used, that one you have found looks as if it might be associated with a bonus relay, the auxilliary or coin mechanism.

It will not prevent selection as such.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:12:19 am »
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that was the cause of the records not loading but that would have been too easy. Got a record to load and play but can't get it to return to spindle after. I'm new at this and it's been pretty interesting to see how these things work. Thanks again.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:40:17 pm »
in your pictures u refernce the carsol ( to the left) it hold all the records
well on the back of that is what is called a index plate (pins come out to tell the carsol where it is)
they as a rule (pins get sticky) and will not come out or stay stuck out.
if u are a newbie to these units purchase a service manual FIRST then go through it (ami-man) may have it ?
now it need not be specific to your model.? as u are really olny interesed in the carsol and it operation

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 08:10:43 am »
Hi Hman,

As ED12 says get a manual, I suggest that you 0purchase a TI-1 manual because this will give you the internal wiring diagram of your jukebox, as ed12 says any other 1100 manual is ok for the mechanical adjustments.

You need to run through a squence of operation.

Credit established
Latch bar solenoid engaged so the keyboard buttons lock in place prior to selection
Search Unit wipers revolve and S1 & S2 solenoids operate
Pin pushed out on the seach unit (check it is the correct pin)
Mechanism basket revolves & the stop plate assembly locates the pushed out pin
The mechanism transfer begins and the search unit pin is pushed back by the stop plate assembly
The gripper bow pulls out the correct record and places it on the turntable
The record plays and is rejected at the end by the cut off switch (reed switch)
The transfer motor put the record back into the basket
The mechanism/carousel revolves about 1.3 turns if no other selection is made and the mechanism comes to rest.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 10:37:45 pm »
Thanks Alan. I got the manual and trying to use the troubleshooting guide in it. Your sequence guide is helpful. I'm up to search unit wipers revolve and S1 and S2 solenoids operate. The problem is in the next step. No pin is being pushed out on the search unit. The wipers just continually spin. Any advice on what to check next? Thanks.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:42:30 pm »
there is a fuse in that circuit
chk it out , they blow when there is a jam
replace with EXACT same size fuse
if it is open ?
if not then time for a meter chk.

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:56:45 am »
Hello Hman,

Ok using copy or note paper make a paper taper that you can pull through the contact on the open relays S1 & S2 on the search unit to clean the tips of the contacts, inspect the contact mechanically by operating the relays manually. Do not use any kind spay or sand paper etc.
You can also do this on the open contact relays on the keyboard which are R1 & R5.

If you are still having problems with the search unit not finding the hotspot check the printed circuitboard board for any cracks in the tracks, if yiu find any outside the circle where the wipers go then you can repair them by bridging the tracks with soldered links (remember to do both sides of the board).

You can also check the pin pusher coil at the wiper contacts for continuity.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 05:29:33 pm »
While checking the things you said to check, I found a belt that is cracked in several places and needs to be changed. It is on the search unit. My question is, is there another belt underneath that one that is missing? I have a parts catalog on order but didn't want to wait on it. Once again, I am very new to this and I do appreciate the help.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 06:57:16 pm »
is that not the 50/60 hz pully ?

ed

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 06:01:47 am »
While checking the things you said to check, I found a belt that is cracked in several places and needs to be changed. It is on the search unit. My question is, is there another belt underneath that one that is missing? I have a parts catalog on order but didn't want to wait on it. Once again, I am very new to this and I do appreciate the help.

Hi Hman,

Yes there should be 2 Search Unit motor drive belts.

We do sell them on Ebay also the the large pulley (called gear & hub part number 200-14264) and the gear that drives (gear assembly , idler part number 201-11838) and the wheel assembly, sprag (part number 401-05011. All these parts are new old stock other than the belts which have been made.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 04:23:27 pm »
Got the manual but I'm not very good at reading schematics. Also got the new belts and put on. Once again, after making the selection,the selection buttons stay in and the search unit spins but does not push out any pins. If I push a pin in by hand, the stop plate assembly seems to hesitate at the pushed pin but it moves enough to go over the pushed pin and keep spinning. Tried checking the solenoids themselves and they seem to have continuity. Any other ideas? I'm at a loss here.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 09:16:00 am »
It sounds if you have two faults there, write in and read out.

You need to sort out the search unit issue first, did you clean all the open relays on the keyboard and search unit as I suggested?

The search unit has to stop and push out a pin, this in effect is the write in of the jukebox, if it does that then the mechanism is instructed to start scanning for the pushed out pin, at the same time the keyboard buttons are released.

Now you have the manual might I suggest that you read it from cover to cover several times so you can understand how the jukebox is suposed to operate that way at least you can tell when somthing is wrong.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 07:06:25 pm »
Yes Alan, I cleaned the relays just like you posted. Can you tell me what the resistance should be on R1, R5, S1 and S2? I have the schematics but I can't figure this out. I have a multimeter but I use the internet to even figure out how to use it. Needless to say, really a rookie on this stuff.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 06:37:52 am »
Hello Hman,

The impedences of the relays is as follows:-

R1 & R5 are 193 ohm
S1 is 80 ohm
S2 is 23 ohm

you can test these out of circuit by applying 30 volts DC (use the 30 volt dc supply from the junction box if you do not have a bench supply.

Personally I think you are looking in the wrong area.
Start by checking that R1 & R5 are pulling in on the keyboard and that the switches do open & break correctly and have continuity when closed.

Make sure that there is no broken wires into the long edge connector on the search unit, that the plug is fully in line with all the tracks on the board, there some leeway in the plug so check the top & bottom for aglinement.

Check that all the tracks are intact on the PCB on both sides (you can get airline cracks) repair as needed or obtain a replacement.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 12:03:59 pm »
I checked R1 and R5. They do open and break and have continuity. I also don't see any cracks in the board. I did check for continuity throughout the board from where the wire harnesses connect the end of the board. I don't know if this is an accurate test. My one question on the wire harness though is if you look at the top wire (red/black), it doesn't connect to anything on the board. Further down, there are also a couple of other wire connections that don't look they connect to anything. Does this look right?

Just for info, I did check those impedences on R1, R5, S1 and S2 and they are all pretty close to what you said.

Thanks for all the help Alan.

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:59 am »
I found some pictures online of the wire harness going into the search unit and it looks fine. So I'm back to checking if the search unit wipers revolve and S1 & S2 solenoids operate. The search wipers do revolve but nothing happens with S1 and S2. I've also changed the mechanism control relay.

According to the manuals explanation of the sequence of operation, after the letter and numbers are locked in, the search unit wiper (front of the  commutator board) runs into segment 8, a circuit is completed to energize sprag relay S1. First of all, where is segment 8 and how do I check to see if S1 is getting any power?  I've already adjusted S1 and S2 according to the manual but no luck. Still the same, no pins being pushed out.

Manual troubleshooting guide also said to check wiring from push buttons to search unit printed board. Being a newbie at this stuff, I have no idea how to check all of these wires.

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 12:32:45 pm »
After a lot of work and luck, I have the jukebox playing as it should (sometimes). My current problem is if I pick a selection near the top of the magazine assembly, it will go to that record and play fine.  If I pick a selection that is not near the top, the magazine rotates a short distance and just stops. In other words, if the magazine has to rotate very far, it just stops and doesn't load a record. It won't go around one complete rotation. Any ideas would be appreciated.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 01:38:07 pm »
what happens when u go to service and ask it to rotate fully ?

ed

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 11:27:09 pm »
It will keep rotating as long as I have it on scan.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 12:14:59 am »
thats what i needed to know
did u clean the wafer pin's and lube them so they work right ----in/out/in/out?

ed

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 09:49:17 pm »
Pins are working fine. When I make a selection, the correct pin is pushed out. If the magazine has to rotate any distance, the magazine just stops. The stop pin never makes it far enough to hit the pin. If I then make another selection, the stop pin will hit that pin that is already pushed out from my first selection. Hope this makes sense. Once again, if the magazine has to travel a short distance, the correct record is played and returned to the magazine with no problem. If the magazine has to rotate any distance, it will rotate shortly and then just stop with nothing happening.

hman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 01:27:54 pm »
Figured it out. Had to make adjustments to the scan wheel. Did this a few times but apparently I got it right this time. Jukebox is doing everything it's supposed to now. Working great. Thanks Ed and Alan for helping this newbie out.