Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting started need advice for older equipment  (Read 3002 times)

Putz2k1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2023, 02:26:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Getting started need advice for older equipment
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:07:25 pm »
Hi guys, long time peeper now making my presence known. I'm just starting my first build and would like to run groovymame / crtemu driver 2.0 for all its custom glory. For better or worse here is my equipment I've accumulated and wish to put into action:

Dell p1130 crt VGA display (120hz capable)
Lenovo Think Centre with an E8400 core2duo and 1GB ddr3
Asus Radeon HD 3450 silent edition with 512MB

My big concern is this: is the3450 going to be strong enough?  Also, can I get by with the 1gb of ram.

Also if someone had a recommendation for a specific groovymame release for this level of equipment (even a range). I'd greatly appreciate it.  I have no issue with doing the trial and error myself but the sense of community I have seen here is second to none and I thought someone might just have some past knowledge to share.

Also, been thinking of adding a homemade scanline generator to this setup for my Dreamcast on the 2nd VGA in on the monitor. Has anyone used one along with crtemu driver resolutions for console based games running on other emulators?  Would love to accurately as possible recreate some of my Amiga favourites on occasion.

Kind of a mess of a post I apologize. Please go easy on me and point me in the right direction if some of these questions are better asked elsewhere.

Cheers

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
Re: Getting started need advice for older equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:15:33 am »
Since you remark that your monitor is 120-Hz-capable you're most likely already aware that you can get 240-P modes by way of MAME's black-frame insertion feature (already discussed and explained here; never tried it myself). For the systems where MAME's emulation won't do, Retro Arch may help, since it also contemplates the feature (not sure about Amiga series emulation, though), so a black line generator is rarely necessary for emulators with a monitor like yours. I tried one of those with a DC and some low-res games and didn't like the way it looks at all (Compaq P-1220), but it's a matter of how used your eyes are to 15-kHz displays, I guess.

I wouldn't worry of which version of GM fits better for your specs more than of which games you want to emulate with those. If you're facing all the troubles of configuring a system for advanced emulation, you'll regret to not have spent some extra cash for a little more RAM or a better graphic card.

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »
Also, can I get by with the 1gb of ram.

To squeeze the most performance out of that CPU, you should run a 64-bit operating system with a 64-bit version of MAME.

For Windows 7 Microsoft recommends 1GB for 32-bit or 2GB for 64-bit.

If I were you, I'd try to get my hands on at least 2GB if possible.  4GB would be better.

Doing a quick search for DDR3 memory, I found a 4GB kit (2x2GB) on Newegg for $31...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Not sure if it's compatible with your computer, but it gives you a ballpark for what it might cost.

If you posted the exact model number of your computer, I can try to find something that is compatible.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:18:40 pm »
My big concern is this: is the3450 going to be strong enough?  Also, can I get by with the 1gb of ram.

Also if someone had a recommendation for a specific groovymame release for this level of equipment (even a range).

The card will be strong enough... but for Windows 7 I'd recommend using HD 5000+ cards, to avoid some issues that have extensively been explained in other threads (the card will work fine enough anyway).

With regards to which GM release, always use the latest. Otherwise you'll be suffering bugs that have already been fixed.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Putz2k1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:00:53 pm »
Well based on the advice here I have ordered some new equipment.  An MSI 1GB 6450 as well as a Mushkin 2 x2GB dual channel ram kit.  My board runs DDR3 @ 1066 so that's what i bought.  I looked up the specs on the lenovo website.  My board can take 2GB and smaller modules and apparently a BIOS upgrade will allow some 4GB modules but I didn't want to risk it.

I appreciate all the advice thus far.  I'm assuming this will bring the system up to snuff.  I understand that Windows 7 64 bit is the way to go but is there a specific level of win7 that's best?  Would Starter be better than Professional?  And Im guessin CRTemudrviver 2.0 in this case.

Thanks Calamity, krick, and Recapnation

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:31:39 pm »
I don't think the particular version of Win 7 x64 will make any difference. And 8GB for that setup would've been overkill. Faster RAM wouldn't have hurt, your motherboard can just run it at a slower speed if it has to.

Yes, you'll be using crt_emudriver 2.0, as the earlier version won't work with your card. The installation guide is the one for the 5000 (and up) series cards - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewforum.php?id=2

Putz2k1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 01:19:38 am »
So a little update:

I got my ram but it doesnt work...3 bios beeps.  Apparently my system can only use "low density ram".  Oh well, will stick with my 2GB for now.

I got my radeon 6450 refurb from newegg. $35 seemed worth it.  Installed the latest crtemudriver and ran video mode maker and all seemed well.  I then loaded groovymame and got the familiar mame gui.  played a game (tried NFL Blitz 1.2 which ran a bit slow on the system but was playable) then exited and get a black screen when I start groovymame by double clicking the icon.  I can fix this by running videomode maker again but thats not really a solution.  Is this normal? do i just need a front end?  where do i go from here.  Im okay with doing lots of/more reading but kinda need a push in the right direction.

Thanks

Putz2k1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 01:51:53 am »
\\\\\my appologies I seem to be running an old groovymame version with latest crt emu driver.  that may explain some of my issues.  will try to test the theory tommoorow

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51:42 am »
What's the exact model of your Lenovo Think Centre?
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Putz2k1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 04:31:54 pm »
Sorry guys. I appreciate the effort put forward to aid me but a series of events has temporarily suspended this project. Namely having to replace all plumbing beneath the basement floor, a death of a family member and now a leaking roof that will be getting replaced (with me doing the job). So a lot of funds have eroded and and time has especially. I hope to get back to this stuff soon.

I appreciate your efforts and may call upon you guys again sometime down the road

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 10:39:19 pm »
Hope everything works out for the best.