Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Does the Ultrastik 360 work with a Pi?  (Read 459 times)

ugleymatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Does the Ultrastik 360 work with a Pi?
« on: January 17, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »
Hiya,

Newbie alert.

I'm in the planning stages of a Pi Powered 2 player bartop and looking at control options. I want to use leaf controls to keep the noise to a minimum and like the idea of the ultrastik 360 for the auto switching. Question is though, does this work correctly with Retropie?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Back from the dead.
Re: Does the Ultrastik 360 work with a Pi?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:49:29 am »
It works great out of the box, and the button harness works great too. HOWEVER, it's a bit of a pain to set up auto-switching. There is some software out there that will do it on linux, but I've yet to get it to work automatically when running  out of attract mode. Though it works in a straight up command-line operation, when run from a front end, I'm having no luck yet. I believe the software is called ultrastikcmd. If you have any problem getting it, or getting it installed, I can give you links. When using the info I have saved, it's pretty simple to install via command-line on the pi. 

That said, I'm personally working on auto-switching from time to time. It's a key component of my future plans, so sooner or later it will be done. If I have to, I'll write my own utility in python. It would probably end up being easier than messing around with ultrastikcmd... sigh.

In the short run though, I think your success with the auto-switching will be hit or miss.
Formerly known for the (apparently now defunct) arcadeartlibrary

ugleymatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:07:40 am »
Hmmm thats annoying as the auto switching is a main draw.

So in terms of wiring up buttons etc, do you just do it to the sticks and bypass using the GPIO connectors?

If so then i guess that is a good reason to still consider them.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Back from the dead.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:19 am »
I'm not a huge fan of the GPIO when a joystick or keyboard encoder works so well, and the joystick encoders are really cheap these days ($11 or so) And the Ultrastik comes with enough to wire up like... 8 buttons I think. Something like that. More than enough for my simple setups.

But yeah, the dynamic thing is a bit annoying. But I'll get it figured out yet. The hardest part is that I can't find a good way to get an error log related to failures with the process so that's made it difficult to sort out the problems. I think I'm almost there. It's getting more traction with other devs now too, so I'm optimistic.

ugleymatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:59 am »
Well as long as its activitly being worked on thats great. Hopefully if i do go down that route i can contribute in some way.

ugleymatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:19:40 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of the GPIO when a joystick or keyboard encoder works so well, and the joystick encoders are really cheap these days ($11 or so) And the Ultrastik comes with enough to wire up like... 8 buttons I think. Something like that. More than enough for my simple setups.

But yeah, the dynamic thing is a bit annoying. But I'll get it figured out yet. The hardest part is that I can't find a good way to get an error log related to failures with the process so that's made it difficult to sort out the problems. I think I'm almost there. It's getting more traction with other devs now too, so I'm optimistic.

Has there been any progress on this? About to pull the trigger on getting the u360 sticks...

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Back from the dead.
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:56:11 am »
Why YES there has!  Gijsbrecht added the feature to RGBcommander .4. I did lots of testing and it works great!

Download it here: http://users.telenet.be/rgbcommander/

Basically that software will try to auto switch between 8 and 4 way. But you can change the joystick mode on a per-rom basis. So I have qbert and Congo bong and zaxxon sinistar... all set up to use diagonals or full analog or whatever. Works awesome

ugleymatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:09:01 am »
Why YES there has!  Gijsbrecht added the feature to RGBcommander .4. I did lots of testing and it works great!

Download it here: http://users.telenet.be/rgbcommander/

Basically that software will try to auto switch between 8 and 4 way. But you can change the joystick mode on a per-rom basis. So I have qbert and Congo bong and zaxxon sinistar... all set up to use diagonals or full analog or whatever. Works awesome

Awesome news!!!

Off to ultimarc i go to place my order for sticks, buttons and work out what else i need to buy to connect it all together.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31