Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which of the 4 types of Illustrator CS6 "Combine Objects" should I use?  (Read 3430 times)

80sarcadegames

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 09:03:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I want to make a "collage" of console and original arcade art work. (see images below as an example).

Which function of Adobe Illustrator CS6 would you say is best for this?

As you can see, in the images below, each character/art has been able to keep its edges and shape in tact (ie they overlap each other).

Here is the link to Adobe's website where they define the 4 different types of combing:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/combining-objects.html#compound_shapes

Methods of combining objects

You can combine vector objects to create shapes in a variety of ways in Illustrator. The resulting paths or shapes differ depending on the method you use to combine the objects.

Pathfinder effects

Pathfinder effects let you combine multiple objects using interaction modes. When you use Pathfinder effects, you can’t edit the interactions between objects. See Combine objects using Pathfinder effects.

Compound shapes

Compound shapes let you combine multiple objects and specify how you want each object to interact with the other objects. Compound shapes are more versatile than compound paths because they provide four kinds of interactions: add, subtract, intersect, and exclude. In addition, the underlying objects aren't changed, so you can select each object within a compound shape to edit it or change its interaction mode. See Combine objects using compound shapes.

Compound paths

Compound paths let you use an object to cut a hole in another object. For example, you can create a doughnut shape from two nested circles. Once you create a compound path, the paths act as grouped objects. You can select and manipulate the objects separately using the Direct Selection tool or Group Selection tool; or you can select and edit the combined path. See Combine objects using compound paths.
Note: You can also add to an object by using the Blob Brush tool. When you use this brush, paths you paint are added to adjacent paths that use identical fill attributes. See Draw and merge paths with the Blob Brush tool and Building new shapes using the Shape Builder tool.

-----------

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:55:25 pm by 80sarcadegames »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Why Illustrator? Are all your assets vectors?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Shekel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2018, 05:17:51 am
Re: Which of the 4 types of Illustrator CS6 "Combine Objects" should I use?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 05:33:22 am »
Yeah, I thought about reading all of that and noticed your assets were all raster images (and not very clean ones). Illustrator is not for combining images.

80sarcadegames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 09:03:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:35:51 am »
I can't combine images in Adobe Illustrator??    :dizzy:

Those attached images are just random "collage" images of examples of side art that I want to produce to show you what I want the end result to be.  :cheers:

Here is a link to a guy that shows you how to cut out art work to combine them all using PAINT.NET.  :)

Is this guy's videos below covering the "vectorization" factor???   :dizzy:

Here is Frostillicus's Vector Tutorial where he describes how to use Illustrator to "cut out" images but instructions are for Vector usage (ie you can enlarge them without
losing the sharpness/resolution of each image).

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/files/Miscellaneous/VectorTutorial_v1_3.zip

Which tutorial is better for what I want to do?  (I want to create a "collage" of vector images)

nintendoid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2024, 03:49:20 pm
    • Nintendoid
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:50:16 am »
Hey... not sure you understanding of art files..

What you want to do is possible in illustrator (vector) but you will need to have either a vector format of each image or the fun of drawing them all individually yourself in illustrator.

Your best option if you cant use illustrator is to find high resolution images and then put them together in photoshop, but they wont be much better than the examples you have shown. Unless you get very good images and handy with photoshop tools.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:55:54 am »
Needs more characters on it.  Too much empty space.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Needs more characters on it.  Too much empty space.
Can never have too many art styles.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 02:15:14 pm »
Illustrator is for creating or editing vector objects. 2 different shaped vector objects can be combined with a number of different pathfinder combine options depending on what you need. What you are asking is not a feature of any combine function in illustrator.

If you are not working with vector artwork you need to look into/learn how to use clipping masks in photoshop or illustrator. The quick and dirty answer is that clipping masks can be drawn around each object to "hide" the rough edges or background of each asset allowing you to overlap them.

Good luck.