Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Monitor or PVM?  (Read 2768 times)

jmcginley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2023, 12:23:40 pm
Arcade Monitor or PVM?
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »
Sorry if this isn't posted in the right location. I'm just trying to understand what I need to do to get the best picture I can.

If I'm going to use an emulation PC to run NES, SNES, Genesis, etc (the systems that were meant for CRT TVs) -- is there a benefit of using a PVM over just a standard res arcade monitor with some kind of adapter?

I'm sure either of these options would look better than just a regular CRT TV with component or S-Video, right?

I'm asking because I have a few 27" standard res monitors I'm not using, and PVMs are expensive as hell.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:41:10 pm by jmcginley »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Arcade Monitor or PVM?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 03:18:28 pm »
Well the old game consoles are 240p (or less) so I don't see any real reason why they wouldn't work on an arcade monitor... assuming you can adapt them in.  That's the thing... the Nes, Master system and consoles before them outputted composite at best.  You need to research a solution to get composite onto an arcade monitor.  PVMs are great, but as you said, they are expensive and you have arcade monitors at hand, so I think you answered your own question.

jmcginley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2023, 12:23:40 pm
Re: Arcade Monitor or PVM?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 04:13:25 pm »

Ok got it. So in theory it would work and have a similar appearance to PVMs. The struggle would be adapting it to a signal the arcade monitor can accept. Thanks for the info!

Well the old game consoles are 240p (or less) so I don't see any real reason why they wouldn't work on an arcade monitor... assuming you can adapt them in.  That's the thing... the Nes, Master system and consoles before them outputted composite at best.  You need to research a solution to get composite onto an arcade monitor.  PVMs are great, but as you said, they are expensive and you have arcade monitors at hand, so I think you answered your own question.