Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Got average programming skilz? Can you help out?  (Read 3100 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
Got average programming skilz? Can you help out?
« on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:41 pm »
Hey folks, I thought I'd reach out to this excellent community and in particular any programming Guru's amongst you.  I have a challenge for which I'm missing suitable skills.  I'm working on a project which is ultimately linked to the hobby (once complete).  Part of it requires Google Earth content as video.  I need to be able to control the GE camera in terms of Geo location, height, position etc beyond what the GE interface provides.  I have a partial solution which is a third party app which can control the camera from keyboard controls (using WASD keys, mouse, shift keys etc) but it's not quite flexible enough for quality video capture.  I also have the Java open source code for that app.  What I really need is an app to modify a KML file in real time and update GE using the network link function.  This will allow me to do a frame by frame capture of a flight path, take those frames and post produce to suitable high quality video.  Note the ordinary tools in GE are NOT good enough for my purpose.

This can be a paid gig for anyone interested or a skills swap I'll provide something in return. Sooo do you understand KML files, have VB or Java or other skills, please let me know!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:19:18 am by Ond »

Ond

• Offline Offline
Re: Got mad programming skilz? Can you help me plz?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 03:51:13 am »
I guess I made this sound harder than it is.  Oh well, no interest from here, not to worry there's always a Plan B.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:10:02 pm »
I see one problem in your request here:

https://www.google.com/intl/en-US_US/help/terms_maps.html
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 05:21:23 pm »
I'm not sure which T&C would be infringed? 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 11:23:36 pm »
I'd help you but Im a functionally retarded coder. I really do wish I could help but Im only good at bondo work, pretty pictures, and faking an Australian accent while sitting next to a bonafide Australian  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 12:17:40 am »
I'd help you but Im a functionally retarded coder. I really do wish I could help but Im only good at bondo work, pretty pictures, and faking an Australian accent while sitting next to a bonafide Australian  :cheers:

Wait, you were faking that? DAMN.  Hmph, in fact I know you're a very clever bluey and if you put your mind to it you could actually help out a poor down-under skilz challenged aussie bro.  Any possible illegalities aside, I think I've pitched this 'opportunity' all wrong.  I'll re-work it to attract suitable interest.  Firstly this small effort is part of something that is going to be very VERY friggin cool.  Contributing dudes WILL be credited.  It will be seen by MANY.  Final product is related to this forum and it's activities.  It's not some unrelated thang.

Anyway - my challenge just amounts to this:

I need code to iterate and update the below values within a looped function:

<LookAt>
         <longitude>144.6101778045799</longitude>
         <latitude>-35.85671270308441</latitude>
         <altitude>0</altitude>
         <heading>-6.008462489790193</heading>
         <tilt>0</tilt>
         <range>41727.33232795569</range>
         <gx:altitudeMode>relativeToSeaFloor</gx:altitudeMode>
      </LookAt>

Preferably in VB script, see? not that hard.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Got average programming skilz? Can you help out?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 03:15:36 pm »
So are you wanting an app or a web interface?  Do you want the values to be auto-generated, or do you want to enter values yourself for each frame?  I'm still not exactly clear what you want to do.  The fact that GE tends to hang might make reliable video capture impossible.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 05:06:23 pm »
So are you wanting an app or a web interface?  Do you want the values to be auto-generated, or do you want to enter values yourself for each frame?  I'm still not exactly clear what you want to do.  The fact that GE tends to hang might make reliable video capture impossible.

I'ts an app I'm after.  As you probably know GE can reference a KML file containing coordinates and camera position for a given view of the earth. A KML file can be updated in real time (overwritten) and checked by GE using a network link function.  Any changes in the values for the <lookAt> function in the KML file will reposition the camera.  I agree GE is not stable and glitches and hangs.  That's why using the standard controls to capture continuous video of say a flight path is very unreliable.  I've tried it many times and the video is often jerky or has frame errors.  BUT if you do frame by frame capture by moving the camera and then screen capturing google earth, the assembled frames result in perfectly smooth video (and at the frame rate you want - say 60fps).  You can allow GE to settle itself before capturing each frame.  A few hundred milliseconds is usually fine.

In Windows you can use the Windows & PrintScreen keys togther to capture a numbered frame sequence just fine.  To answer you question Howard, I'd need to be able to input initial values for the camera (the starting position) and then choose an amount to increment each value by for a given number of repeated times.  As an example:  At it's most basic you could just increment the <altitude> value from near ground level and the GE view would rise steadily in height above the earth in the assembled video.  A more sophisticated app could allow incrementing the values with more control to produce a more interesting flight path.  To be honest the video I want does not have to be complex just fly up above a given location to about 90'000 feet with maybe some small panning and tilting of the camera and some lateral movement.  The app needs to increment the KML file by overwriting and saving it, and on each increment get windows to screen capture GE i.e. implement the Windows & PrintScrn function.  GE would be setup to update it's view by referencing the KML file every few seconds.

If I could figure out how to increment and overwrite values in a file using VB or something I'd do this myself, I just don't have the skill. I could try and teach myself the basics I guess, and go from there.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 05:17:58 pm »
It's probably doable, but it really depends on if that kml file is write protected or not.  Some applications allow you to muck with their files just fine while others either can't tolerate it, or won't update even if you change it. 

I'll take a look tonight if you want. 

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 05:45:46 pm »
It's probably doable, but it really depends on if that kml file is write protected or not.  Some applications allow you to muck with their files just fine while others either can't tolerate it, or won't update even if you change it. 

I'll take a look tonight if you want.

That would be awesome Howard, thankyou!  KML files are not write protected.  GE users share them around to share Placemark locations.  You can generate one in Google Earth in the menu under 'Add' click on Placemark.  Position it any where on the earth and save it as a KML file to your prefered location - on the desktop as an example.  I've attached one here as an example (a place we camped at). I had to rename the file to a text file to attach it. The <LookAt> section of the file is what controls the GE camera.  Also, if you do end up helping out, I will tell you (via pm) the full purpose of this exercise and how it fits in to a larger video project.  I'm happy to pay for your time via good old paypal if that suits.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:25:42 pm by Ond »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 10:30:30 pm »
Thanks for the PM Howard,  I've attached an edited KML file (it's near my old place) for you to check out.  Also it varies from the other by using the <Camera> function instead of the <LookAt> function.  Both are very similar but I think the <Camera> one is better to use.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:24:56 pm by Ond »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 03:29:27 pm »
Thanks for helping me out with this Howard. Just so other BYOACers know, Howard was kind enough to provide me with what I needed. Much appreciated.  :cheers:

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 05:08:26 pm »
I can configure mame controls!