Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cosmotrons: From Passion Project to Production (own game in own cab)  (Read 12765 times)

OldSkoolFool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2018, 08:07:39 pm
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
I am no longer updating this post.  Cosmotrons is now a full on arcade product that is in arcades from the West Coast to East Coast.  Our beautiful Delux-o-Tron cabinet is made out of fiberglass, has touches of stainless steel, and etc.

For recent updates visit our website and or facebook:

www.CosmotronsGame.com
www.facebook.com/cosmotronsgame

Old Info Below:

The prototype cabinet has been completed and turned out beautiful.  We had it at the Midwest Gaming Classic where it was very well received.  We are now actually considering releasing some sort of arcade version due to all the interest.

We released and updated Alpha build which has 6 ship types, 3 charge shots, 8 maps, single player, VS multiplayer, and team multiplayer:  https://arcadeaholics.itch.io/cosmotrons

For continued updates and more info, go to our website:  www.CosmotronsGame.com

-------------------------Old stuff below---------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

I have “lurked” on the forum before and now finally am posting.  It is so great to see the creativity in people’s builds.  So much high quality stuff here and so many great ideas, well executed/documented too.  I am excited to share with all of you a project my friend and I have taken on and am interested in hearing your feedback.

My friend and I are developing a multiplayer retro space battle video game and have designed a custom arcade cabinet for the game to go into.  This started out with me wanting to create a specific type of game I wanted to play but could not find to purchase as it did not seem to exist.  I have a collection of classic machines (ex:  Food Fight, Discs of Tron, Donkey Kong, Tapper, etc.) so in addition to just wanting to play that “new” game, I wanted to create a custom unique arcade cabinet for the game to be played in that which would look great lined up with the other machines. 

The game is called:  Cosmotrons.  We expect to have a downloadable demo released very soon.  The demo is available for download now!  A downloadable demo will be posted at some point in spring.  Posted below in the second post is a more detailed description of the game and its features and at the bottom of this post some screenshots and gameplay.  One of our goals was to create a game that when playing local multiplayer, would get players yelling at each other, celebrating, felt heavily involving, challenging, and exciting.  With our multiplayer tests so far the game has been well received.  We still have plenty of work to do on it.  The prospect of having our own video game we developed in our own cabinet we designed is quite exciting!

I had many ideas for the cabinet and really struggled.  My original thought was to just do a wider version of a classic cabinet.  That and other ideas proved difficult with the constraints of using a monitor that is 36” wide and 21” tall (40” 4k LCD monitor), having a control panel wide enough for four players, for it to not look ugly, AND for it to actually fit through my front door! 

After some more idea generating I headed down a path I was happier with.  Being a big Star Wars and Aliens fan I tried to create something that might be found in some of those 70’s-80’s retro futuristic sci-fi movies.  This cabinet look and feel like a control station for players’ ships (according to our story right now the ships are actually drones and the player controls the drones).  See below…. THE ARC CABINET!

It’s about 75” tall, 50” wide, and 24” deep.  The monitor would sit further back in the cabinet covered by tinted glass which would sit flush with the front of the cabinet.  A 3” radiused edge goes all around the cabinet, arced at the top.  The control panel is about 40” up and would flip forward.  I have nice Klipsch speakers/subwoofer to go in the cabinet.  For controls, I will most likely be using Ultimarc gold leaf push buttons:  two on the left for rotating the ship and two on the right for shoot and thrust.  The buttons will coincide with the color of the ship it controls (blue, red, yellow, white).  The arced panel under the control panel will most likely be straight but angled instead of curved.  My father is a retired automotive painter (we’ve restored a few cars together) and we would plan to primer the cab, sand it smooth, and spray it with a metallic/pearlescent white covered with clearcoat.

My original intention was to build this cab with the assistance of some friends/family but I am finding the development of our Cosmotrons game is more of a priority and taking up any time that I would have to build a cabinet.  Not to mention, I do not have the skills to make that arced top.  So, I have met with a couple different potential builders that I would have build the cabinet but then my father and I would do the paint work to finish it off.  We will see what happens!  ***Update:  D&D Milwork of Ixonia, WI have taken on the challenge of building the arcade cabinet for us! 

The video game we intend to try to get released on Steam and then hopefully other platforms as well. As stated, the demo should be available soon.  The concept demo is available now!  We are looking forward to more people getting to play the game, enjoy it, and also give us feedback on how to make it even better.

Stay tuned for more updates about our Cosmotrons game and arcade cabinet.  I will post some updates here.  Check out our facebook page for more frequent updates and info:  https://www.facebook.com/CosmotronsGame/

Regards,
Shane

Gameplay video:
-New ship type, the "Trainer" added and Dave and I try it out for the first time:
-2 player battle on "Volcano" map:
-2 player battle on the "Mole Tunnels" map:
-Single player mode with commentary on "8Track" map:
-Four player battle on "Tower" map:
-Reverse gravity four player battle:
-Bonus rounds added.  Four players on Cave Race: 

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:47:54 pm by OldSkoolFool »
Our custom arcade project has turned into an actual arcade product now in arcades from the West Coast to the East Coast.  Check it out at:  www.CosmotronsGame.com

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
Re: Cosmotrons: Making Our Own Video Game and Custom Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:54:55 pm »
Here is a written description of the video game, some of its features, and goals:

"In this multiplayer and single player retro arcade style space shooter, one to four players yell and celebrate as they skillfully pilot a fragile spaceship in battle against gravity and each other throughout dangerous terrains. In multiplayer mode space pilots participate in intense aerial dogfighting with the goal of having the last surviving spaceship. In single player mode space pilots can explore territories, practice flight and shooting skills, and participate in timed speed runs.

There are 20+ dangerous territories for you to explore and battle in including lunar surfaces, underground alien structures, active volcanic hot spots, caverns with falling stalactites, black holes, and more. Gravity is just as dangerous as your enemies as it always tries to pull you towards impending doom, on some terrains not always in the same direction. Skillful piloting is necessary to survive.

Piloting of your spaceship requires fuel. Either defeat all your enemies in a territory before your fuel depletes or choose to find and collect fuel resources throughout the territories during battle. But be careful, collecting fuel resources is dangerous and often leaves you vulnerable!

In Cosmotrons, the piloting of your spaceship itself is fun and very rewarding. Control is tight, allowing for trick aerial maneuvers and pixel perfect ship placement in dangerous areas. Planning ahead of where you want your spaceship to go is necessary as you account for gravity and inertia. Up to four players can battle on screen at the same time. Precise aiming of the cosmotron blasters is needed as shots are low in quantity. One hit from a spaceship’s blaster will destroy the ship into tiny fragments and feels oh so satisfying.

Cosmotrons is currently in development. A demo for PC is expected to be released in early 2017. We have the goal of getting the game released on Steam later in 2017 and will consider other options after."
Our custom arcade project has turned into an actual arcade product now in arcades from the West Coast to the East Coast.  Check it out at:  www.CosmotronsGame.com

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 03:56:45 pm »
Oh... and I forgot to mention about the cabinet:  Instead of doing a traditional marquee I am more leaning towards something like a topper on a pinball machine.  I expect it to mount on the back of the cab, maybe be plasma cut steel back lit with glowing plexi.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 09:22:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 04:01:19 pm »
This is going to be cool.   :applaud:

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:58:47 am »
We are still on track for having an early "concept demo" released for you all to try VERY soon!

We just added bonus rounds to the multiplayer progression.  Check out a four player bonus round battle on the Cave Race map: 

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »
Multiplayer Gravitar, eh?

Looks fun.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »
I'm very interested in how this proceeds.  I also have an idea for a matched cabinet and video game.  This is the next step in the evolution of the hobby, creating NEW games with dedicated cabinets.  Great stuff!

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:08:46 pm »

Exciting news  ;D  We expect to have the concept demo available for everyone to download and play this Friday 1/27/2017.  Right now it is sitting in this flash drive ready to be uploaded.  Make an excuse to get some friends together, try it out, enjoy it, and let us know what you think/how to improve.

Multiplayer Gravitar, eh?

Looks fun.

Hey Laythe.  Thanks for checking Cosmotrons out.  Dave, I, and many others definitely think it is fun!  I hope you try out the demo and feel the same.

I'm very interested in how this proceeds.  I also have an idea for a matched cabinet and video game.  This is the next step in the evolution of the hobby, creating NEW games with dedicated cabinets.  Great stuff!

Ond, thanks for checking out the game.  I agree.  This is an exciting time in the hobby where making one's own game for one's own cabinet is more of a possibility and I am excited to see what others brew up.

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
Hey everyone.  We have some significant updates.  I edited a bit on our first post and here below is some of that info:

-The concept demo is available to be downloaded right now!  Download it directly with this link:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_dBgrKIjDWET19lU3dFX3NvNmM

-We have produced and posted our first gameplay trailer titled "The Dangers of Space": 

-D&D Milwork in Ixonia, WI is in charge of building our custom arcade cabinet!  Below is a photo of Dean, the man in charge, and I (being a big dork).  We finalized some design details.[/li][/list]

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons

Have some fun completing some challenges.  More difficult ones will be posted as time goes on.  Many challenges will result in a free copy of the final version of the game when it releases.  I have created a spreadsheet to record those that have completed challenges and that we need to send copies of the game to.

Challenge #1: The next person on here to download and install the demo AND either post here or PM me that they did so gets two free full final release versions of Cosmotrons   :)

Challenge #2: Actually play Cosmotrons for at least 15 minutes.  First person to do so and post about it will get two full final versions of the game when it releases. ***WP34 receives this challenge

Challenge #3: Snap a picture and show successful completion of ANY single player map. That means all targets destroyed and all beacons collected. A screenshot, selfie by the screen, cellphone picture of the computer screen, whatever will do. Try to show "You Win" in the background. Post the pic on the forum, message us, or email us. First person to do so also gets two full final versions of the game when it releases.  ***Completed by JDFan

Challenge #4: Play the "Lunar Surface" map in single player and have the fastest completion time.  Cut off time to post is extended to Sunday 2/5/2017 at 11:59!    Snap a picture of successful completion which shows your time and that "you won".  That means all targets destroyed and all beacons collected. A screenshot, selfie by the screen, cellphone picture of the computer screen, whatever will do.  Post the pic on the forum, message us, or email us. Person with the fastest time by Monday at 11:59 gets a free copy of Cosmotrons when it releases.  Persons that have completed other challenges prior can still receive this one. ***Right now best time is JDFan at 1:46!

Challenge #5: Snap a picture and somehow show that two players were playing.  A double selfie by the screen, cellphone picture of the computer screen with four arms in it, whatever will do.  Post the pic on the forum, message us, or email us. First person to do so also gets two full final versions of the game when it releases.

Challenge #6: Post your best times for completing "8 Track" in single player mode (destroying all targets and collecting all beacons).  Just for fun.  Just type the numbers or post a screen shot.
  ***JDFan in the lead at 1:26!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:53:21 pm by OldSkoolFool »

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Interesting and pretty challenging game !

Barely finished the level - hit the last target just as it hit the ground as fuel ran out !

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
Interesting and pretty challenging game !

Barely finished the level - hit the last target just as it hit the ground as fuel ran out !

Thank you so much for trying out the game JDFan.  Congrats on completing the "Lunar Surface" level in single player.  Were you able to do that on your first try?  If so, that would be quite impressive.  Thanks a bunch for posting the pic.  Challenge #3 completed.  We will send you two free copies of the game when the final version releases!

A couple more challenges were just added.  1 & 2 are still available.  How about a little competition for times on single player on Lunar Surface and 8 Track?  Right now JDFan is in the lead at 1:46!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
Was the second time through -- first try was spent trying to figure out the controls a bit. and like I said I just barely pulled off the finish as I was out of fuel shot for the last target and hit the surface just as the last target got hit - wasn't sure at first if the ship or the target blew up first ! Will give it some more practice over the next couple days.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
This is pretty fun.  Like Lunar Lander meets Asteroids.

01:42.60 on 8-Track

JDFan

• Offline Offline

You can do better than that !!

01:26.77 !

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
This is pretty fun.  Like Lunar Lander meets Asteroids.

Woah.... only 95 fuel points left!  Just in the nick of time.  Thanks a bunch for trying out Cosmotrons WP34!

JDFan is in the lead right now on Lunar Surface (challenge for receiving two game copies extended to Sunday 2/5) and 8Track!  A tip on 8Track is to warp through the side and top pending your strategy.  And.... if you really want to go fast both ships do fit through those vertical slots in the circles but it is tough to get through there!

Keep the fast times coming folks   :cheers:

Anyone try multiplayer yet? 

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
Re: Cosmotrons: Demo & New Trailer Out Now! Our Own Game in a Custom Arcade Cab
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 06:19:21 pm »
JDFan is still in the lead for single player for 8Track and Lunar Surface.  Will any surpass his times?

Dave and I are making some progress.  We have created two more ship types and are currently play testing them.  I am not ready yet to reveal details about them though but they are fun ones.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 08:59:59 pm »
Couple quick notes for you :
 - the intro screen for the levels is not aligning correctly on my 4:3 monitor @ 1600x1200 resolution
( see pic attached ) the target and beacon symbols are center screen and not lined up with the text and the large text for the level is pulled right and goes off screen (not sure if you know this already or not but figured I'd mention it just in case )

- The level selection is not always consistent (pressing 1, 2, 3, 4 selects a level but it is not always the same level seems to cycle through them but not sure how it decides which is which so makes it hard to try and play a certain level  (again knowing this is Beta it might be something you know about already)

Other than that the games seem to work well and it is quite fun trying to get faster without losing control  :cheers:

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:38 pm »
Hey JDFan!  Thanks a bunch for the info.  That is helpful.  We did not know about the issue with 4:3 monitors and alignment of the target/info on the transition screen.  That is good to know and something we will look into.  In terms of the level progression for single player and multiplayer, the maps are on a list and the game chooses randomly from that list.  For single player, it is any map.  For multiplayer there are two "easier" maps (Lunar Surface and 8Track) which it starts out with for two rounds, then bonus, then there are two "more difficult maps" (Upside down gravity Lunar Surface and Cosmotron Cave).  The progression ends when someone wins two rounds total.  We will plan on having a level select for single player so players can choose which map to play.  Is that something you would want to see?

Thanks a bunch again for continuing to play.  The feedback and issue finding is helpful.  Let us know more thoughts if you have em.

In terms of updates... we have a few more ship types made that we are currently playtesting and balancing   ;D 

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 11:48:36 pm »
Also.... to anyone that plays the demo.... we could use some feedback/ideas on how to make the menu system throughout the game more user friendly.  And... we are wondering if we should have some sort of tutorial to introduce players to some of the basics of how to play/control the ships.  Thoughts?  Feedback?

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 08:36:25 pm »

Our four player arcade cabinet design for Cosmotrons is coming to life! Our builders D & D Millwork have made some great progress. I am stopping out there tomorrow with the coin doors, the Klipsch speakers/sub-woofer, and control panel mock-up. In the mail from the UK is our interface and gold leaf buttons for that old school feel.

We have continued development of the software and right now have 6 ships functioning. They are pretty balanced but we are doing more development on them. A few other big and fun changes in the works as well! More info to come soon.

The Ultimarc interface will allow 96 LEDs.  Any thoughts (besides general illumination) on how we could use LEDs to make the user experience with the cabinet even more fun?  We have a couple ideas but I would be interested in hearing what you all have for ideas.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »
Hope you got a fork lift. That sumbitch looks heavy.

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 09:53:49 pm »
Haha.  Yea... we'll see just how heavy.  Hopefully not ridiculously heavy. The plan will be to use furniture dolly/carts for moving it around and it will definitely be at the very least a two person moving/lifting ordeal.  More weight to be added with monitor, speakers, glass (which will be huge!), computer, etc.  It size wise will fit through my front door... but I might have to make a ramp to make for easy entrance/removal.

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons

Hey Everyone.  Dave and I have been continuing to make progress on Cosmotrons. In exciting news we have received the build of the custom arcade cabinet we designed. Check out a tour of the cabinet here:

The game now has six unique ship types, each with their own characteristics. Check out an explanation of the "Squid":

Some other updates I will mention but won't go into depth yet include:
-Charge shots/abilities
-Team mode

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons

Our Cosmotrons arcade cabinet prototype has been completed.  We took it to the Midwest Gaming Classic 2017 as its first public outing and it was very well received.  We are strongly considering releasing some sort of dedicated exclusive arcade version due to the interest we have received.  We will see what happens.  I will probably post some more images along of the whole build process at some point but just too much going on right now.  I took some video, time lapse photos, and etc. of us working on it but just can't devote the time to properly editing that stuff right now.  I am in the midst of trying to design a more cost friendly cabinet for production.  Lots of sanding to get the finish right on the prototype.  Thick primer sanded smooth, sealer, base coat white, pearlescent, multiple coats of clear, all Dupont stuff, then wetsanded with 2000 grit and buffed and polished.

Try playing it!  The most recent alpha build can be downloaded here:  https://arcadeaholics.itch.io/cosmotrons      1,2,3, or 4 player.  6 unique ship types, 3 charge shots, 8 maps, VS mode, team mode, single player modes.

To continue following this project, follow us at:  www.facebook.com/cosmotronsgame
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:33:40 pm by OldSkoolFool »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Cute game, you should let us remap the controls.  Also not sure why anyone that would design a spaceship that only shoots out of its butt.

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
Cute game, you should let us remap the controls.  Also not sure why anyone that would design a spaceship that only shoots out of its butt.

PBJ, thanks a bunch for trying it out.  Next time you get some buds together make sure to try multiplayer.  Remapping controls definitely is on our "to do" list.  This build is missing many of those PC friendly things (remap controls, windowed mode, adjust resolution, etc.).  We still have work to do!  One of the big things for the PC/console version we would like to do is online multiplier.

Do NOT underestimate the powers of THE SQUID!   >:D  It works quite well in team mode capturing flags shooting down as others can only shoot up   ;)

Wyo

• Offline Offline
Turned out Gorgeous! Congrats on the awards too! What's next for cosmotrons? Another show?

Feel good to get it done?

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
Turned out Gorgeous! Congrats on the awards too! What's next for cosmotrons? Another show?

Hey Sam,  Thanks!  Definitely feels great to have it "done".  Very happy with how it turned out.  Definitely a lot of work!  It is great to be able to focus on other aspects of the game now, even though a large part of that is now looking into manufacturing a more inexpensive cabinet.  I will have more pics/vids to show at some point and will make sure to get them your way.

We actually do have some events lined up as the Cosmotrons prototype has been requested to be at some different events!  We are very excited to be bringing the machine to Combo Breaker in St. Charles, IL on May 26, 27, 28!  The prototype will be in the arcade section.  A big thanks to Combo Breaker and ParadiseArcadeShop.com for inviting us!   ;D

Wyo

• Offline Offline
You should have made it with trailer wheels for all the transporting you'll neeed to be doing. Haha. It'd be cool to see it at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown. That thing must be a beast to transport I'd imagine!

Congrats again, super happy for you and will be follimg on facebook!

Hey Sam,  Thanks!  Definitely feels great to have it "done".  Very happy with how it turned out.  Definitely a lot of work!  It is great to be able to focus on other aspects of the game now, even though a large part of that is now looking into manufacturing a more inexpensive cabinet.  I will have more pics/vids to show at some point and will make sure to get them your way.

We actually do have some events lined up as the Cosmotrons prototype has been requested to be at some different events!  We are very excited to be bringing the machine to Combo Breaker in St. Charles, IL on May 26, 27, 28!  The prototype will be in the arcade section.  A big thanks to Combo Breaker and ParadiseArcadeShop.com for inviting us!   ;D

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
Congrats! The cab looks great!  :applaud:

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
Thanks fellas.

Yea, not the easiest thing to move around although once it is on a dolly it is not too bad.  I have  a car hauler we put the cab in and strap it from the front and back with car style straps.  I have not brought it in my house yet and am afraid to do so as getting it back out will be a pain!

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
Is there still a way to try it,
I see development going on.

But missed out on the initial run.

Would be interesting to integrate spinner control into it.

later

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
Where are you located Negative1?  There is a good chance there is a Cosmotrons arcade machine at a public arcade near you that you can play on.

We considered using a spinner.  One issue with those is it would raise the bill of materials by about $480 to use four high quality spinners.  Also, with the use of the spinner it could potentially reduce the feel of the difference among the ships.

Thanks for checking it out.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
Re: Cosmotrons: From Passion Project to Production (own game in own cab)
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 08:31:11 am »
I've been seeing this develop over a period and have to finally chime in and say congrats. This not only looks great but the game itself looks super fun. Good mix of classic vibes and modern ability to customize ships etc makes this a nice piece I'd love to own.

Without knowing much about it and the gameplay, this looks like the kind of game that would totally sell me on a Nintendo Switch. Would a game like this be able to be ported to switch or are there limitations based on control/hardware limits? Games like yours are so fun and feel like that system is made for fun games. Or needs more fun games ;)

Again... Congrats. Things a beauty. Bring it to Canada!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 09:34:55 am »
I have played the game several times. It is really fun. I would nix the gravity though. In my opinion it hinders the hunt and kill mayhem of the game. The game would speed up dramatically if everyone wasn't fighting gravity all of the time.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 02:03:14 pm »
Played it at a local arcade... had a ton of fun with it. Very cool!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

OldSkoolFool

• Offline Offline
    • CosmotronsGame.com
    • Cosmotrons
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2018, 06:55:09 pm »
Morton:  Thanks for keeping an eye on the project.  We do not have any cabinets out of country yet!  Let your local arcade/arcade bar know they need one!  We are not too far from the Canadian boarder here in Wisconsin.  Many others have mentioned as well that this would be a perfect game for the Switch.  We do plan to do a home release at some point.  When that will be, we are not 100% sure but need to enjoy the arcade exclusivity for some time, and lots of work to do get it ready for a home port.

Mike A:  Thanks for playing!  Where did you play?  In terms of the gravity, that is the main mechanic of the game!  The gravity strength can be reduced though with operator settings to the point that it is really light.  Bullet quantity, and ship turning speed can also be increased which all together can aid in a more frantic mayhem type feel.  I'd be interested to see if you'd prefer those settings.  If you played it awhile back when we were on tour we reduced the gravity significantly since then.  We have tried a level without gravity and it still was fun, but I am not sure if we'll ever have it available to be played in-game.  We'll see what happens.   

Ian:  Thanks for playing!  Where did you do so?

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2018, 07:02:28 pm »
Ian:  Thanks for playing!  Where did you do so?

I thought I played it at UpdownMKE but I was mistaken. I played it at Bounce Milwaukee.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.