Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone else using Recalbox?  (Read 6301 times)

MaseMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 08:49:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Anyone else using Recalbox?
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:16:50 pm »
So I recently pulled the trigger and bought a Raspberry Pi 3 kit, and have it hooked up to my living room TV. So far so good. I downloaded Recalbox, and install was pretty simple.

Overall I like the setup, but I'm having a couple issues.

1) NES games are cropped a bit on the edges, for some reason. I can't find any setting to fix this.

2) I tried using a PS3 controller at first. Connecting via a Bluetooth dongle worked fine, but I experienced noticeable input lag with both NES and SNES games. Bad enough that platform games are unplayable. I switched to an old USB controller I had lying around, and no input lag at all. It seems like there should be a way to use wireless controllers with this setup, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else is using Recalbox and if there are solutions to the issues above.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:30 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Anyone else using Recalbox?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:53 pm »
So I recently pulled the trigger and bought a Raspberry Pi 3 kit, and have it hooked up to my living room TV. So far so good. I downloaded Recalbox, and install was pretty simple.

1) NES games are cropped a bit on the edges, for some reason. I can't find any setting to fix this.

2) I tried using a PS3 controller at first. Connecting via a Bluetooth dongle worked fine, but I experienced noticeable input lag with both NES and SNES games. Bad enough that platform games are unplayable. I switched to an old USB controller I had lying around, and no input lag at all. It seems like there should be a way to use wireless controllers with this setup, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else is using Recalbox and if there are solutions to the issues above.

Pi3's has built in Bluetooth, have you tried to use the on board blutooth instead? Usually its the other way around meaning the onboard has lag but you should at least give it a shot.

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 08:49:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:21:48 pm »

Pi3's has built in Bluetooth, have you tried to use the on board blutooth instead? Usually its the other way around meaning the onboard has lag but you should at least give it a shot.
I thought the on board Bluetooth doesn't work with Recalbox? If it does, I can give it a shot.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:30 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 08:00:18 pm »
Im not sure it it will work or not. You can also try using retropi instead. I never had issues with cropping or input lag.

CptnToxic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2017, 05:51:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 04:22:03 pm »
I've got Recalbox working great with IPAC Ultimate. 2 joysticks, a bunch of arcade buttons and a trackball. Only issue I have run into is problems with arcade games that run on libretro.  I cannot figure out how to change button mapping.  I need to use a USB keyboard "shift" button to insert a coin and "return" for player one start. Can anyone help an old guy out?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 02:52:23 am »
Only issue I have run into is problems with arcade games that run on libretro.

You mean on libretro versions of MAME? If so... standard TAB configuration would be all you'd need to do. Am I missing something?
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

CptnToxic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2017, 05:51:48 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 04:19:33 pm »
Only issue I have run into is problems with arcade games that run on libretro.

You mean on libretro versions of MAME? If so... standard TAB configuration would be all you'd need to do. Am I missing something?

Sorry, it has been a while since I checked this.  TAB does not work with libretro games.  Has anyone else had this problem with mapping arcade button controls?

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 05:00:59 am »
You can find some general settings while in the recalbox ui under game settings. To get into the menu of the actual emulator you are using its usually the hotkey+ another button (I forget what it is).

I love revalbox and have recommended here many times.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:57:15 am »
Ive never used recalbox. Wasnt really sure what it was until I read this complete thread.
Have you tried Attract Mode? I like it very much and havent had problems running any mame games that I have.
The TAB key works on my Mame setup in Attract Mode.
Attract Mode also has Kodi included, however I havent gotten very far playing around with it.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 02:04:14 pm »
I used recalbox. There was also lag with me using PS3 controller wireless. If you are using an LCD, not only are you lame - but you can add more lag. I'd like to package my own distro with attractmode and mame 0.182, but lame rpi firmware doesn't support 240p out of composite. Until they fix this in an update, the rpi is useless for retro gaming in my opinion. I'm not doing the whole bunch of converters crap. Even my expensive radio shack hdmi to composite unit has issues that drive me nuts. I'll sell my rpi unit if anyone wants it.