Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [17-09-22] RatRefresh 0.14 - refresh rate switcher, stops LCD tearing  (Read 43949 times)

tonyt76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 10:06:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi everyone. Has anyone created a batch file to do the following:

Run the batch
Type in the rom name
Ratrefesh sets the custom res
MAME launches the same "rom" that you typed in?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:27:36 am by tonyt76 »

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2023, 08:26:53 am
Tony, I will help you out, and we will post the final .bat here for reference for other people. Rest will be through PM to not clutter the forum. Also fixed the initial posts' images. Sorry for not responding earlier, never got the notifications. Changed my email address now, this one gets them. Probably a spam issue.

Note there's still no improvements in RatRefresh. However, I'm going to do a new version with better usability and hopefully detection of the display device. However, the main issue will still be there, which is restarting of the display driver. So far I've been unable to find a solution, or any third-party tool that can apply new EDID overrides without restarting the video driver.
Again, please prove me wrong :-)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:03:30 am by Rataplan626 »

mortalkombatfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2019, 04:38:59 pm
My Attract Mode emulator cfg

!Code!
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.5.1
#
executable           run.bat
args                 "[romfilename]"
workdir              emulators\MAME
rompath              roms\
romext               .zip;.7z
system               Arcade
info_source          listxml
import_extras        nplayers.ini;catver.ini
artwork    marquee         
artwork    snap
   !Code!

This is my batch file (run.bat) in the mame folder with nircmd.exe and ratrefresh configured as per instructions. I use nircmd.exe as attract mode loses focus when relaunched and does not terminate well.   

!Code!
nircmd.exe killprocess attract.exe

ratrefresh.exe /edidfile edid.txt /file refreshrates.txt /get %~n1;mame

devconx64.exe disable =display
devconx64.exe enable =display

mame64.exe %1

ratrefresh.exe -edidfile edid.txt -refresh 60

devconx64.exe disable =display
devconx64.exe enable =display

nircmd.exe exec2 max "D:\Attract Mode" "D:\Attract Mode\attract.exe"
   !Code!

I use groovymame which would only launch after i added an additional display driver restart, as switchres did not agree.

In groovymame mame.ini
   !Code!
monitor      lcd
lcd_range   50.00-75.00
   !Code!

Putting this altogether you select a game refresh rate is chosen, attract mode terminated, mame launched when you exit mame the display is switched back to 60hz. Attract mode relaunched, Select another game.

I use groovymame with d3d9ex for low latency.

Bojak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2020, 11:31:31 pm
Unable to download your files, GDrive keep saying it's infected with virus, both 0.1 and 0.11 version.  :'(

Rhyader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2022, 09:43:17 am
Hi, how can I download RatRefresh? It seems I need an autorization...

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
Hi. I'm really sorry for not replying to anything, I never got any notification working on this forum. It seems those Google Drive links aren't good anymore for public access. I acknowledged the request I got today, which is why I actually got noticed.

While I still use 0.11 on my own cab with great success, it could still do with some better usability. The response to the tool has been quite a bit less than I anticipated though. For me it was the holy grail when used with a LCD based cab, I thought more people had tearing issues and such. But anyway, I'll try to update the links soon, and find some ways to make RatRefresh better to use.

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
I've changed the link to RatRefresh in the opening post, so it should be available without authotization again. 5 years after it's release, it seems more people are picking it up. So I'm tempted to improve it's usability, even if I have very, very little time on my hands the last few years.

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
Re: RatRefresh - Automated EDID updater for MAME and others - no more LCD tearing
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2022, 04:24:22 am »
Hi, I found that the Google Drive link again didn't work without a google account. I've fixed that now. Also I removed the link to version 0.1 completely, as that had some bugs anyway. I'm currently finally working on the tool a bit again, I'm trying to get the display-detection in properly, so you don't have to fiddle around in registry anymore. So far no luck in that but I made some progress.

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
Hi, I've been working on the tool the last couple of days, and I think the usability has improved quite a lot. I've updated the opening post. All comments, issues, questions, requests or remarks are welcome.

Cisek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2023, 07:35:14 am
Re: [17-09-22] RatRefresh 0.14 - refresh rate switcher, stops LCD tearing
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2022, 04:57:12 am »
Rataplan  :notworthy:

I was waiting years for this. Technicaly gsync/freesync solve the issue, however for classic 4:3 aspect ratio lcd, or 16:9 lacking gsync/freesync it is gamechanger!
Will it work on pc crt monitors as well?

Do you think it would be possible to implement it for the linux systems, like batocera?

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2022, 03:25:24 am »
Rataplan  :notworthy:

I was waiting years for this. Technicaly gsync/freesync solve the issue, however for classic 4:3 aspect ratio lcd, or 16:9 lacking gsync/freesync it is gamechanger!
Will it work on pc crt monitors as well?

Do you think it would be possible to implement it for the linux systems, like batocera?

Well, I use linux (ubuntu / debian based) at work, but never wrote any software for that myself. While .NET apps can nowadays made to run on Linux, this app basically writes a registry value to achieve the goal, which Linux doesn't have obviously. So no, don't expect a Linux version soon.
I guess it can work on CRT as well. For that though, maybe changing the resolution as well might be even more effective, or even requiered. The tool now changes the refreshrate for the resolution you are running at now. Maybe I should add actual resolution change too.

Justin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:04:14 am
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2023, 03:24:46 pm »
Since I just moved from a CRT to an LCD (without G sycn/ Free sync) I am very interested in this.

I tried to set it up to plam Metal SLug 5 as a test, which reports a refresh rate of 59.1856....hz

I tried the following command, it seems to be setting the monitor up as I see no errors and it clearly is resetting things (black screen, then back on etc).

C:\mame\RatRefresh>ratrefresh -debug -min 55 -max 60 -refresh 59.185
or even
C:\mame\RatRefresh>ratrefresh -debug -min 55 -max 60 -refresh 59.186

However, testing Mslug5 I am seeing tearing just as usual (as if 60hz).

Am I doing something wrong?

This is the result I get:

Code: [Select]
Key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\GSM5674\4&2cbcb734&0&UID16843008\Devic
e Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
WantedRefreshRate 59.186
CalculatedPixelClock 15204
HexCalculatedPixelClock 3b64
ReversedEdidHexCalculatedPixelClock 643b
TotalChecksum 9067
Checksum 149
HexChecksum 95
"3 warps to Uranus" -- so I stopped playing!

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2023, 08:28:41 am »
Since I just moved from a CRT to an LCD (without G sycn/ Free sync) I am very interested in this.

I tried to set it up to plam Metal SLug 5 as a test, which reports a refresh rate of 59.1856....hz

I tried the following command, it seems to be setting the monitor up as I see no errors and it clearly is resetting things (black screen, then back on etc).

C:\mame\RatRefresh>ratrefresh -debug -min 55 -max 60 -refresh 59.185
or even

However, testing Mslug5 I am seeing tearing just as usual (as if 60hz).

Am I doing something wrong?

This is the result I get:

Key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\GSM5674\4&2cbcb734&0&UID16843008\Devic
e Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
WantedRefreshRate 59.186
CalculatedPixelClock 15204
HexCalculatedPixelClock 3b64
ReversedEdidHexCalculatedPixelClock 643b
TotalChecksum 9067
Checksum 149
HexChecksum 95

What OS are you running, and what graphics card? Also, if you run REGEDIT and go to 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\GSM5674\4&2cbcb734&0&UID16843008\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE', does it actually have a 0-value with an EDID string? It should have, as I do an elevation-check, and also it should give an error when it was unable to write. Does the parent of that, so 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\GSM5674\4&2cbcb734&0&UID16843008\Device Parameters' have an EDID value?

I just tested on my work Intel NUC with Iris Plus 655 iGPU with 2 Dell U2421E monitors, and I seem to see the same issue. When I set anything below 59Hz it works fine when I view https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate. But anything between 59 and 60 results in 60.000Hz. I don't have that issue on my actual cab which also has an iGPU, but an older one with probably other drivers. If testufo doesn't lie (can't run MAME here) it might be a driver issue. Also, what are your mame.ini settings?

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2023, 08:39:01 am »
Thanks for the detailed response!
I was running windows 7 at the time.  I also tested it on my personal win 7 PC and there it gave me blues screens.

In any case I now updated the mame PC to windows 10 last night and hence I will test it there and see what happens.   Is there a good reliable way to verify what hz the system is ACTUALLY running at once the settings have been applied?  I looked at dxdiag and I'm not convinced that reports correctly or precisely (maybe it is rounding?).

Edit: just realized you posted an online tool to check refresh. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:29:20 am by Justin »

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2023, 06:46:55 am »
Well, Windows 7 SHOULD work, as it supports EDID override. But I never tested it. The Intel drivers however support it since somewhere 2017-2018. Now I can't imagine your Win7 drivers being that old, but still. On my actual CAB with Win10 it works fine:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZlpRVLiw7T9FNJsZmspD9JBE_3m5KCYJ/view?usp=share_link

however on my work-NUC it doesn't, as said anything between 59 and 60Hz gets 'rounded' to 60Hz. It did absolutely work on that NUC as well before, so I assume there's a bug (or feature?) in the current Intel driver.
So again, just to try to debug: what GPU / driverversion do you use?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:08:30 am by Rataplan626 »

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
[17-09-22] RatRefresh 0.14 - refresh rate switcher, stops LCD tearing
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2023, 05:54:37 pm »
Ok I tried under windows 10.  iGPU is Radeon hd4600
Latest drivers

It doesn't error out but the testufo tool shows no change:

Edit:  the RegEdit keys are showing correctly what you described above, entirely.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:23:16 pm by Justin »

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2023, 03:06:50 pm »
Could the issue have to do with the fact I'm using the VGA port on the monitor?  I will try the HDMI port on both ends (card and monitor) and see what happens.

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2023, 07:18:23 am »
Could the issue have to do with the fact I'm using the VGA port on the monitor?  I will try the HDMI port on both ends (card and monitor) and see what happens.

darn, I just CAN'T wet notifications working on this forum. Anyway, I don't believe VGA should be any problem at all. I don't have any proper AMD machinery at hand. But I do have some really old Zotac units with something like an AMD A4-4000 or something in there. I could try on that. Feel free though to test HDMI and report :-)

TitanGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2023, 10:16:20 pm
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2023, 04:23:57 pm »
Hi Rataplan,

I seem to have the same issue with any version after 0.11. The refresh rate doesn’t seem to change. I also noticed the EDID file generated is different from 0.11 but this might be the way you designed the later versions. I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong with versions after 0.11. I tried 0.12 and 0.14 and they both seem to give the same issue. It seems using the CRU tool allows the refresh rate to change properly with 0.11. I’m not sure why it might work on 0.11 but not 0.14

I also have a weird issue with my video card. I have a NVIDIA GTX970 and with your utility it resets the video card drivers, the video card reset seems to cause screen tearing. It’s noticeable tearing in browsers such as Chrome in particular. I tried turning off and on manually the display adapter drivers from the device manager even without using your utility and it still seems to cause screen tearing. Restarting my machine fixes the tearing completely. It also doesn’t seem to be an issue with resetting the refresh rate in Windows after setting custom refresh rates with the CRU tool.

Do you know if there is a way to reset the refresh rate from the command line without having to reset the video card drivers, similar if the refresh rate were to be reset from Display settings manually from Windows? Also, do you know what might cause the video screen tearing after resetting the display drivers? 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 04:32:52 pm by TitanGorilla »

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2023, 06:21:38 am »
Hi Rataplan,

I seem to have the same issue with any version after 0.11. The refresh rate doesn’t seem to change. I also noticed the EDID file generated is different from 0.11 but this might be the way you designed the later versions. I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong with versions after 0.11. I tried 0.12 and 0.14 and they both seem to give the same issue. It seems using the CRU tool allows the refresh rate to change properly with 0.11. I’m not sure why it might work on 0.11 but not 0.14

I also have a weird issue with my video card. I have a NVIDIA GTX970 and with your utility it resets the video card drivers, the video card reset seems to cause screen tearing. It’s noticeable tearing in browsers such as Chrome in particular. I tried turning off and on manually the display adapter drivers from the device manager even without using your utility and it still seems to cause screen tearing. Restarting my machine fixes the tearing completely. It also doesn’t seem to be an issue with resetting the refresh rate in Windows after setting custom refresh rates with the CRU tool.

Do you know if there is a way to reset the refresh rate from the command line without having to reset the video card drivers, similar if the refresh rate were to be reset from Display settings manually from Windows? Also, do you know what might cause the video screen tearing after resetting the display drivers?

So you state with RatRefresh 0.11 it works, but with 0.14 it doesn't work well? That's curious. If that's the case, I can obviously debug that. Weird thing is though, that on my own cab 0.14 works fine, which is why I inititally think about driver issues. Setting a custom refresh rate without resetting the driver is my ultimate goal, see the first two pages of this thread. However I don't think that's feasible without very specific call to drivers, which would make it TOO brittle to my liking. The last time I used CRU, one needed a reboot before the custom refresh rates are available. If that changed, I'm interested. I think I remember some quirks toom, in the sense that when you add for example 59.150 Hz and 59.300 Hz, both are rounded off as 59, and it doesn't work well. I should try again to see if things changed.

I've also changed my email address on the forum in order to try to receive notifications. So if you could conform 0.11 works 'better' than 0.14 on your system, that would help.

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2023, 08:16:58 am »
I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue at all, but I will say that with my set up, when I run the initial steps that create my display driver file, it states that the minimum and maximum refresh rate identified are backwards!
It says something like:
Min rate: 87
Max rate: 54

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2023, 01:25:08 pm »
I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue at all, but I will say that with my set up, when I run the initial steps that create my display driver file, it states that the minimum and maximum refresh rate identified are backwards!
It says something like:
Min rate: 87
Max rate: 54
Do you guys get notification from this forum? I switched from hotmail to gmail but still no notifications, even though my settings seem to be correct.

Anyway, the min and max value come directory from the EDID value stored in registry. Maybe that's corrupted by now? :) In the registry, at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DELA0B8\4&3b360466&0&UID200195\Device Parameters, obviously for your own display, there is the EDID value. Rename or delete it, and reboot. After that, post me the value in there, and / or try running Ratrefresh -setup again. You could try ratrefresh -setup -api, but in terms of min and max nothing should change.

trevorp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2023, 03:21:22 pm
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2023, 09:21:39 pm »
Hi Rataplan,

So you state with RatRefresh 0.11 it works, but with 0.14 it doesn't work well? That's curious. If that's the case, I can obviously debug that. Weird thing is though, that on my own cab 0.14 works fine, which is why I inititally think about driver issues. Setting a custom refresh rate without resetting the driver is my ultimate goal, see the first two pages of this thread. However I don't think that's feasible without very specific call to drivers, which would make it TOO brittle to my liking. The last time I used CRU, one needed a reboot before the custom refresh rates are available. If that changed, I'm interested. I think I remember some quirks toom, in the sense that when you add for example 59.150 Hz and 59.300 Hz, both are rounded off as 59, and it doesn't work well. I should try again to see if things changed.

I've also changed my email address on the forum in order to try to receive notifications. So if you could conform 0.11 works 'better' than 0.14 on your system, that would help.

First off, let me say thank you for this fantastic tool.  I swapped out an old 27" CRT TV that was on its last legs for an LCD, and found this tool which does exactly what I wanted.

I started using it right when you pushed out 0.11, and then left my cab in a state of disrepair until a few months ago.

I saw that you had updated to 0.14 so I tried it with the same behavior as quoted above.

0.11 will give me any rate that my monitor is capable of.  I am not playing anything, just testing rate switching with the ufotest site, as I decide what I want to do with the cab.

Anything from 0.12 - 0.14 act like they're changing the refresh rate, but they all set my rate to 59.972hz.

0.11 will set it to 60.001, 54.707 or whatever I ask for.

I honestly presumed it was something I'd done to my setup so didn't report it here.

I safely exported my registry settings before attempting 0.14 so I can go back and forth between working and non-working configs to test anything you'd like.

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2023, 04:12:48 pm »
Hmm... Thats weird. Seems to be some bug that does not occur on my cab. Can you spare the time to run ratrefresh -debug -refresh 59.850 and after that to another refreshrate and paste output and the edidoverride registry value, and then the same for .14?
If .11 works it can't be something I can't fix, weird thing is I don't run into it myself.

trevorp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2023, 08:29:43 pm »
I don't seem to be able to attach images, so I'll just paste in text what the ufotest site shows at each stage.

Prior to running 0.11

ufotest shows 60.001 Hz

Running 0.11

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh>ratrefresh -debug -edidfile edid.txt -refresh 59.850
Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
Value 0
WantedRefreshRate 59.850
HexCurrentPixelClock 68ef
CurrentPixelClock 26863
HexHorizontalResolution 0a00
HorizontalResolution 2560
HexverticalResolution 0640
VerticalResolution 1600
HexHorizontalBlankingPixels 00a0
HorizontalBlankingPixels 160
HexVerticalBlankingLines 002e
VerticalBlankingLines 46
TotalHorizontalResolution 2720
TotalVerticalResolution 1646
CalculatedPixelClock 26796
HexCalculatedPixelClock 68ac
ReversedEdidHexCalculatedPixelClock ac68
TotalChecksum 7733
Checksum 203
HexChecksum cb

ufotest shows 59.851 Hz

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh>ratrefresh -debug -edidfile edid.txt -refresh 66.123
Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
Value 0
WantedRefreshRate 66.123
HexCurrentPixelClock 68ac
CurrentPixelClock 26796
VerticalResolution 1600
VerticalBlankingLines 46
CalculatedPixelClock 29604
HexCalculatedPixelClock 73a4
ReversedEdidHexCalculatedPixelClock a473
TotalChecksum 7736
Checksum 200
HexChecksum c8

ufotest shows 66.123 Hz

Registry after last command:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0]
"DeviceDesc"="@monitor.inf,%pnpmonitor.devicedesc%;Generic PnP Monitor"
"Capabilities"=dword:000000e4
"Address"=dword:00000000
"ConfigFlags"=dword:00000000
"ContainerID"="{6d5104c6-2815-5319-8110-935b6287b83a}"
"HardwareID"=hex(7):4d,00,4f,00,4e,00,49,00,54,00,4f,00,52,00,5c,00,44,00,45,\
  00,4c,00,34,00,30,00,38,00,33,00,00,00,00,00
"CompatibleIDs"=hex(7):2a,00,50,00,4e,00,50,00,30,00,39,00,46,00,46,00,00,00,\
"ClassGUID"="{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}"
"Service"="monitor"
"Driver"="{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\\0005"
"Mfg"="@monitor.inf,%generic%;(Standard monitor types)"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0\Device Parameters]
"EDID"=hex:00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,10,ac,83,40,4c,4e,34,41,10,18,01,03,80,40,\
  28,78,ea,1d,f5,ae,4f,35,b3,25,0d,50,54,a5,4b,00,81,00,b3,00,d1,00,71,4f,a9,\
  40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,e2,68,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,\
  00,00,00,ff,00,52,46,35,37,50,34,34,45,41,34,4e,4c,0a,00,00,00,fc,00,44,45,\
  4c,4c,20,55,33,30,31,34,0a,20,20,00,00,00,fd,00,31,56,1d,71,1c,00,0a,20,20,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0\Device Parameters\WDF]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353]
"Address"=dword:00000111
"ContainerID"="{5e53dd27-50e9-533e-b70c-88d73a545c57}"
"Service"="monitor"
"Driver"="{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\\0004"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters]
  28,78,ea,1d,f5,ae,4f,35,b3,25,0d,50,54,25,4b,00,81,00,b3,00,d1,00,71,4f,a9,\
  40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,a4,73,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,\
  00,00,00,fc,00,44,45,4c,4c,20,55,33,30,31,34,0a,20,20,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,00,01,c8

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]
"0"=hex:00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,10,ac,83,40,4c,4e,34,41,10,18,01,03,80,40,28,\
  78,ea,1d,f5,ae,4f,35,b3,25,0d,50,54,25,4b,00,81,00,b3,00,d1,00,71,4f,a9,40,\
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,a4,73,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  00,00,fc,00,44,45,4c,4c,20,55,33,30,31,34,0a,20,20,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,01,c8
"CRU_Name"=hex:01,44,45,4c,4c,20,55,33,30,31,34
"CRU_Serial_Number"=hex:00,52,46,35,37,50,34,34,45,41,34,4e,4c
"CRU_Range_Limits"=hex:00,00,31,00,56,00,1d,00,71,01,18
"CRU_Extensions"=hex:01
"1"=hex:02,03,25,70,50,90,05,04,03,02,07,16,01,06,11,12,15,13,14,1f,20,23,09,\
  1f,07,67,03,0c,00,10,00,38,38,83,01,00,00,02,3a,80,18,71,38,2d,40,58,2c,45,\
  00,e0,0e,11,00,00,1e,01,1d,80,18,71,1c,16,20,58,2c,25,00,e0,87,10,00,00,9e,\
  01,1d,00,72,51,d0,1e,20,6e,28,55,00,40,--BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--,10,00,00,1e,8f,0a,d0,8a,20,e0,2d,\
  10,10,3e,96,00,--BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--,78,00,00,00,18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,00,8f

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0\Device Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\WDF]

Setup for 0.14

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14>RatRefresh.exe -setup
Detected video drivers:
Name:                         NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
Device ID:                    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1004&SUBSYS_84691043&REV_A1\4&80E7924&0&0008

Detected active monitors:
Monitor number:               1
Monitor description:          DELL U3014
Serial number:                1093946956
Monitor InstanceID:           DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353
Monitor DevicePath:
HorizontalResolution:         2560
VerticalResolution:           1600
Minimum reported refreshrate: 68
Maximum reported refreshrate: 69

What monitor number to use?
edid.txt file written.

Running 0.14

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14>ratrefresh -debug -edidfile edid.txt -refresh 59.850
-min not supplied. Using EDID supplied value of 0
-max not supplied. Using EDID supplied value of 0
Requested refreshrate exceeding maximum. Setting refreshrate to maximum.
Key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
WantedRefreshRate 0
CalculatedPixelClock 0
HexCalculatedPixelClock 0000
ReversedEdidHexCalculatedPixelClock 0000
TotalChecksum 7457
Checksum 223
HexChecksum df

done

Note: this failed as it incorrectly identified my min/max rates as 0

Second run with min/max specified

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14>ratrefresh -debug -refresh 59.850 -min 50 -max 75
Key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
WantedRefreshRate 59.850
TotalChecksum 7733
Checksum 203
HexChecksum cb

done

ufotest shows 59.972 Hz

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14>ratrefresh -debug -refresh 66.123 -min 50 -max 75
WantedRefreshRate 66.123
TotalChecksum 7736
Checksum 200
HexChecksum c8

done

ufotest shows 59.972 Hz

Registry after last command:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0]
"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0\Device Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0\Device Parameters\WDF]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353]
"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters]
  40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,a4,73,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,\
  00,00,00,00,01,c8

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,a4,73,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  00,00,00,01,c8

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\WDF]

Also note, if I go back to 0.11 and try and change refresh rates after running 0.14, they also fail to set the requested rate:

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh>ratrefresh -debug -edidfile edid.txt -refresh 66.123
Value 0
WantedRefreshRate 66.123
HexCurrentPixelClock 68ac
CurrentPixelClock 26796
VerticalResolution 1600
VerticalBlankingLines 46
TotalChecksum 7736
Checksum 200
HexChecksum c8

ufotest shows 59.972 Hz

I have to delete the registry entries and restore my backup

After deleting the registry entries and restoring and running the same command from above

ufotest shows 66.123 Hz

Please let me know what else I can do to assist.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 08:31:58 pm by trevorp »

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2023, 04:27:53 am »
Well obviously things are different, but that's not coming from my tool: in your first registry-paste (ie. for 0.11) you seem to have 2 custom resolutions, 0 and 1. Maybe in value 1 there is a copy-paste error, but it says:

01,1d,00,72,51,d0,1e,20,6e,28,55,00,40,--BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--,10,00,00,1e,8f,0a,d0,8a,20,e0,2d,\
  10,10,3e,96,00,--BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--,78,00,00,00,18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,00,8f

And obviously that bingo part should not be in there :-) But the thing is, if you have multiple custom resolutions set, you'll get multiple refresh rates available in Windows, and one needs to manually select 'the closest' in order for it to work. Refreshrates in windows are rounded to 0 decimals, ie. 59.950 and 60.150 would both be 60Hz, from Windows GUI perspective, and I'm not sure anymore how Windows responds to that. When you have only one, Windows will always use that, which is why I strongly advise to only have ONE custom resolution set, which would be 0.

Then again, you state that in 0.11 it works, even while your registry there contains 2 custom resolutions, and one with possible bogus text too (although maybe because of that it might be filtered out).

The resulting EDID_OVERRIDE values for resolution 0 though in both your registry pastes of 0.11 and 0.14 are 100% identical. And in the end that's what Windows / display driver should pick up.

Your output it strange on another level though. With -debug, it should report also report the current Pixelclock, which it doesn't show. It seems I put another 0.14 up then I have myself. So before I update the opening post, try this release: <new link below, read along ;-)> and report. If it still doesn't work, I'd like to see them same output for this version again.
But before testing, make sure you run ratrefresh -remove, and verify the complete EDID_OVERRIDE is removed after that.

I'm currently looking into monitor DDC commands. With them you can programmatically do settings on your monitor like brightness, contrast, RGB values but also power-off if your monitor supports it (most do). ClickMonitorDDC is a great tool I use almost daily which does the same. I am currently testing to see if powering down or resetting link through DCC makes Windows / display driver pick up the custom resolutions. That would maybe mean we don't have to reset the display driver completely, in order not to crash frontends.

I'm also looking into why the min/max readout is not working but to be honest, reading my code and looking at the EDID specifications, I'm not sure how it ever worked at all  ;D

[edit]
I've just added some additional debug info with regards to the min/max readouts. Please supply output of ratrefresh -debug -refresh <something>. It should now report a list of 8 values, being min and max in the 4 possible places EDID has for them. You could also check in CRU whether that reads the same values:

I also noted that CRU still comes with restart64.exe, which also simply restarts the display driver, with the samy nasty side results for running application as using devcon to reset it.
New Ratrefresh test version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jTcLjuDrzKKZDF4SokUTZVoaGpj9u5Al/view?usp=share_link

[edit2]
unfortunately, turning off / resetting the monitor using DDC does not re-initialize the custom resolutions. For now an actual reset of the display driver remains mandatory.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 05:22:58 am by Rataplan626 »

trevorp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2023, 08:06:12 am »
Thanks for your detailed reply!

This is going to require more time than I have this morning before work.  I'll have to pick it up afterwards.

quick notes this morning.

Running CRU I only see one custom entry, see attached pic.

When I attempt to run ratrefresh -remove, I get the below error:

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14>ratrefresh -remove
Trying to delete EDID_OVERRIDE key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\EDID_OVERRIDE
Error deleting registry key, probably doesn't exist anymore?

Here's my registry export after running the above:

"Service"="monitor"

"Service"="monitor"

40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,ef,68,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,\

81,80,d1,c0,01,01,ef,68,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  00,00,00,00,8f

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0\Device Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]

The entries are clearly still there.  If I click on DEL4083 and delete it, it deletes most, but not all of the data:

"Service"="monitor"

"Service"="monitor"

I'll continue to poke at this after hours.

Also, you had asked if we get notifications, I turned them on yesterday for this thread, and got the notification to my gmail account.

Rataplan626

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2023, 08:22:07 am »
Yeah, after disabling and re-enabling notifications it seems to work now. Anyway:

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14>ratrefresh -remove
Trying to delete EDID_OVERRIDE key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\[b]5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353[/b]\EDID_OVERRIDE

Here's my registry export after running the above:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\[b]1&8713bca&0&UID0[/b]]
"Service"="monitor"

see the difference? Your edid file is not reflecting the correct key. So either run ratrefresh -setup again and check if edid.txt actually reflects the right key, or for now manually correct the key in edid.txt. If detecting is wrong, does it detect multiple screens? And if so, is the 'correct' key to be seen in the detections?

Think we're getting close now  :)

trevorp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2023, 07:43:09 pm »
OK, here we go.

Making sure it is really removed

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>RatRefresh.exe -remove
Trying to delete EDID_OVERRIDE key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\EDID_OVERRIDE

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>RatRefresh.exe -remove

Here's my registry export after the deletes

"Service"="monitor"

"Service"="monitor"

Setup

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>RatRefresh.exe -setup
Detected video drivers:
Device ID:                    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1004&SUBSYS_84691043&REV_A1\4&80E7924&0&0008

Serial number:                RF57P44EA4NL
Monitor InstanceID:           DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353
Monitor DevicePath:
Minimum reported refreshrate: 49
Maximum reported refreshrate: 86

edid.txt file written.

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>type edid.txt
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353

Here's my registry after setup

"Service"="monitor"

"Service"="monitor"

40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,70,5e,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,\
  20,20,20,20,01,9e

Checking CRU

I see there are two entries for DEL4083 - DELL U3014.

Here's the second one.

This second entry matches the rate that 0.14 (both original and test) set my rate to.

When I hit edit on the display, I see the same information for both DEL displays

Running the new 0.14_test version

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>RatRefresh.exe -debug -refresh 59.850
-min not supplied. Using EDID supplied value of 49
-max not supplied. Using EDID supplied value of 86
Press key to continue.

Going through all Descriptor blocks
*** StoredEDIDValue(54): 239
*** StoredEDIDValue(55): 104

*** StoredEDIDValue(77): 82
*** StoredEDIDValue(78): 70

*** StoredEDIDValue(95): 68
*** StoredEDIDValue(96): 69

*** StoredEDIDValue(113): 49
*** StoredEDIDValue(114): 86

WantedRefreshRate 59.850
HexCurrentPixelClock: 68ef
CurrentPixelClock: 26863
HexHorizontalResolution: 0a00
HorizontalResolution: 2560
HexVerticalResolution: 0640
VerticalResolution: 1600
HexVerticalBlankingLines: 002e
VerticalBlankingLines: 46
TotalHorizontalResolution: 2720
TotalVerticalResolution: 1646
TotalChecksum 9640
Checksum 88
HexChecksum 58

done
Press key to continue.

ufotest shows 59.972 Hz

Here are both of the CRU

Here's my registry after 59.850

"Service"="monitor"

"Service"="monitor"

40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,ac,68,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,\

78,ea,1d,f5,ae,4f,35,b3,25,0d,50,54,a5,4b,00,81,00,b3,00,d1,00,71,4f,a9,40,\
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,ac,68,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  00,00,ff,00,52,46,35,37,50,34,34,45,41,34,4e,4c,0a,00,00,00,fc,00,44,45,4c,\
  4c,20,55,33,30,31,34,0a,20,20,00,00,00,fd,00,31,56,1d,71,1c,00,0a,20,20,20,\

Another run with 66.123 refresh rate requested

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>RatRefresh.exe -debug -refresh 66.123
Press key to continue.

*** StoredEDIDValue(54): 172

WantedRefreshRate 66.123
HexCurrentPixelClock: 68ac
CurrentPixelClock: 26796
TotalChecksum 9643
Checksum 85
HexChecksum 55

done
Press key to continue.

ufotest shows 59.972 Hz

Here are both of the CRU

Here's my registry after 66.123

"Service"="monitor"

"Service"="monitor"

40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,a4,73,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,\

81,80,d1,c0,01,01,a4,73,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,00,\

This got so long, I hope I got all the tests in.

[edit] I forgot to mention, if I delete the second DEL4083 entry, close CRU and re-open it, it's gone.  Next time I run ratrefresh, it recreates it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 07:46:38 pm by trevorp »

Rataplan727

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2023, 04:40:19 am
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2023, 03:28:08 am »
At first: my Rataplan626 account is locked out, asked an admin. I had to register another account to post again.
Multiple screens being 'detected' I've seen before, it might be the issue here.
Your edid.txt file will now contain:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353

Please modify that to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0

which is the other ID that was already in your registry, and then try running RatRefresh again. If it works it means I'm not detecting the actual monitor ID correctly.
The strange thing here now is that in your 'registry after delete', so the second code block, there is [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0] and [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353], where 5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353 is the one I detected. However, the 1&8713bca&0&UID0 does NOT have any EDID value in there. For your info, Windows or your display driver puts the EDID value it pulls from the monitor in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0\Device Parameters] value EDID. So it's weird it's not there IF that's the correct monitor key, and even stranger it's there AFTER you run RatRefresh -setup, as that writes nothing to registry but only generates the edid.txt file.

If all else fails, you can go the following route: first, maybe I'd delete your display driver and monitors from device manager, and reboot. After that, run CRU and put at least one custom resolution in (values don't really matter). Then you can lookup in registry where it created the EDID_OVERRIDE key. That's the key that should end up in edid.txt. After that make sure to remove the EDID_OVERRIDE key that's created by CRU so it doesn't interfere. Then try RatRefresh again.

The generated EDID_OVERRIDE registry seems to be correct when I decode it. So my guess now indeed is that my detection isn't working correctly for you. Sorry for the hassle and thanks for all your input  :cheers:

[edit]
ah, looking back I build in more functionality than I remembered :) What does 'RatRefresh -showmonitors' and 'RatRefresh -showmonitors -api' do?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 07:08:48 am by Rataplan727 »

trevorp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2023, 09:28:53 am »
That sucks about your other account, I'm sure it'll get sorted out.

No joy so far.  Here are the results of my morning testing.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>RatRefresh.exe -debug -refresh 66.123
Press key to continue.

*** StoredEDIDValue(54): 112
*** StoredEDIDValue(55): 94

Key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
WantedRefreshRate 66.123
HexCurrentPixelClock: 5e70
CurrentPixelClock: 24176
TotalChecksum 9643
Checksum 85
HexChecksum 55

done
Press key to continue.

ufotest shows 59.972 Hz

Here's my registry export after this

"Service"="monitor"

40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,a4,73,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,a4,73,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,00,\

"Service"="monitor"

40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,f0,61,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,\
  20,20,20,20,01,1b

81,80,d1,c0,01,01,f0,61,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  20,20,20,01,1b

As this didn't work, I went the next route.  I deleted both the display adapter and monitor from Device Manager and rebooted.

Here's the registry export after this

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353]
"Service"="monitor"
"Driver"="{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\\0001"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters\WDF]

Note that there's no EDID_OVERRID in the export, but when I ran CRU to create the custom entry I see my 59.971 rate is still following me.

I edited the custom entry anyway, closed out and re-opened CRU

Running ratrefresh -setup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>RatRefresh.exe -setup
Detected video drivers:

Monitor InstanceID:           DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353
Monitor DevicePath:

edid.txt file written.

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>RatRefresh.exe -debug -refresh 59.850 -min 50 -max 75

*** StoredEDIDValue(54): 239

*** StoredEDIDValue(77): 68
*** StoredEDIDValue(78): 69

*** StoredEDIDValue(95): 0
*** StoredEDIDValue(96): 0

*** StoredEDIDValue(113): 0
*** StoredEDIDValue(114): 0

Key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
WantedRefreshRate 59.850
HexCurrentPixelClock: 68ef
CurrentPixelClock: 26863
TotalChecksum 7733
Checksum 203
HexChecksum cb

done
Press key to continue.

ufotest shows 59.972 Hz

Here's the registry export after this

"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353]
"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters]
  40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,ac,68,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,\
  00,00,00,00,01,cb

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,ac,68,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  00,00,00,01,cb

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters\WDF]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\1&8713bca&0&UID0 has made a return.

At this point I'm going to nuke it from orbit and run DDU at lunch and rip out all display drivers and start fresh.

I could continue to run 0.11 with no issues, so this isn't hurting anything.  I'm just glad I can help diagnose this so hopefully we can avoid a similar issue for someone else.

Sorry, I wrote this all up this morning and apparently never hit post.  Just checking in on my coffee run.

Rataplan727

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2023, 10:36:16 am »
I could continue to run 0.11 with no issues, so this isn't hurting anything.  I'm just glad I can help diagnose this so hopefully we can avoid a similar issue for someone else.
And I really appreciate that! Remote support is always a hassle. Unless we use something like Anydesk so I can remote your system, it's going to be 'try this, report that' unfortunately..

EDID_OVERRIDE does not exist by default. It's only needed when you want to use custom resolutions. RatRefresh and CRU just create it when it's not there yet. And since 0.12 you don't actually have to use CRU anymore to set things up. In fact you shouldn't use CRU anymore to set things up, as that creates additional values in the EDID_OVERRIDE key. I'm baffled why it wouldn't work in 0.14. What is in your edid.txt from 0.11? IIRC 0.11 had the path until EDID_OVERRIDE in there, which 0.12+ does not have, it has just the instanceID. But that instance ID should be the same. After all, all RatRefresh and CRU do is put a value 0 with an EDID value with specific timings in there (or 1,2,3 for additional resolutions). It's just a registry value, and thats all these tools do. So then, if 0.11 works, I wonder what's in that edid.txt file.

However, AGAIN you now have 2 EDID_OVERRIDE keys, for ID 1&8713bca&0&UID0 and for 5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353, both with different original EDID values and both different EDID_OVERRIDE values for custom resolution 0. After deleting your display + monitors, only 5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353 seems to be left, so that does seem to be the one to work with. And also that's the ID you have in your edid.txt from 0.11 (from your post from yesterday). But then, after you run RatRefresh 1&8713bca&0&UID0 is back, which probably happens after resetting the device, as the only value RatRefresh writes is '0' with an EDID value in there.

I just can't get over the fact that 0.11 would work and 0.14 doens't. The previously posted registry stuff doesn't add up. So... I want to ask you one more time to do the following:

- Remove drivers / monitors from Windows and reboot
- Open CRU and add one custom resolution
- Rename devconx64 to something else, so your display won't get reset
- Verify the edid.txt still reflects the ID you now see in your registry, ie the one where CRU put it's info
- Run ratrefresh -debug -file edid.txt -refresh 59.300 (note that debug might require you to hit enter a few times, it might pause in between)
- Screen should NOT reset as devconx is not accesible.
- Post ratrefresh output
- Post edid.txt from version 0.11
- Export registry and post

then for 0.14
- Just to be sure (it's probaby redundant): remove drivers / monitor again and reboot
- Run ratrefresh -setup and choose your monitor
- Run ratrefresh -debug -norestart -refresh 59.300 (note that debug might require you to hit enter a few times, it might pause in between)
- Screen should NOT reset as 0.14 has -norestart
- Post ratrefresh output
- Export registry and post

I will carefully study those outputs. As this way we prevent the display from resetting, whatever is in the registry then with regards to custom resolutions, is what RatRefresh actually wrote. Resetting display might change things, although I haven't seen that happening yet. If the registry values that 0.11 writes are different than 0.14, I have work to do. If they are the same, well then I would not know yet how to proceed.

Thank you so much for your help debugging this :) Which I had a system that didn't work, would help me debug.

trevorp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2023, 09:13:22 pm »

Removing drivers/monitor from Device Manager and rebooting

Registry export

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&4&UID4353]
"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&4&UID4353\Device Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&4&UID4353\Device Parameters\WDF]

Setting a custom resolution with CRU

Registry after CRU

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353]
"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353\Device Parameters]
  20,20,20,20,01,22,02,03,25,f1,50,90,05,04,03,02,07,16,01,06,11,12,15,13,14,\
  1f,20,23,09,1f,07,67,03,0c,00,10,00,38,38,83,01,00,00,02,3a,80,18,71,38,2d,\
  40,58,2c,45,00,81,91,21,00,00,1e,01,1d,80,18,71,1c,16,20,58,2c,25,00,81,91,\
  21,00,00,9e,01,1d,00,72,51,d0,1e,20,6e,28,55,00,81,91,21,00,00,1e,8f,0a,d0,\
  8a,20,e0,2d,10,10,3e,96,00,81,91,21,00,00,18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,e8

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,71,5e,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  00,00,00,00,8f

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353\Device Parameters\WDF]

Verifying edid.txt still reflects the ID

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh>type edid.txt
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh>ratrefresh -debug -edidfile edid.txt -refresh 59.300
Registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0 could not be read. Wrong key / value?

At this point I started poking around the registy key with powershell and kept walking back until I realized the device ID was wrong.

I corrected it to what I see in the registry

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh>type edid.txt
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE\0

The only difference is 5&67fc0b1&0&UID4353 doesn't work, 5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353 does.  When I kept restoring my registry backup, it was restoring the &0 display

Ratrefresh output

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh>ratrefresh -debug -edidfile edid.txt -refresh 59.300
Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
Value 0
WantedRefreshRate 59.300
HexCurrentPixelClock 5e71
CurrentPixelClock 24177
VerticalResolution 1600
VerticalBlankingLines 46
CalculatedPixelClock 26549
HexCalculatedPixelClock 67b5
ReversedEdidHexCalculatedPixelClock b567
TotalChecksum 7741
Checksum 195
HexChecksum c3

Registry after this command

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353]
"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353\Device Parameters]
  20,20,20,20,01,22,02,03,25,f1,50,90,05,04,03,02,07,16,01,06,11,12,15,13,14,\
  1f,20,23,09,1f,07,67,03,0c,00,10,00,38,38,83,01,00,00,02,3a,80,18,71,38,2d,\
  40,58,2c,45,00,81,91,21,00,00,1e,01,1d,80,18,71,1c,16,20,58,2c,25,00,81,91,\
  21,00,00,9e,01,1d,00,72,51,d0,1e,20,6e,28,55,00,81,91,21,00,00,1e,8f,0a,d0,\
  8a,20,e0,2d,10,10,3e,96,00,81,91,21,00,00,18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,e8

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,b5,67,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  00,00,00,01,c3
  00,00,00,00,8f

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&1&UID4353\Device Parameters\WDF]

Removed drivers/mointors

Registry at this stage

"Service"="monitor"

Setting up ratrefresh

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>ratrefresh -setup
Detected video drivers:

Monitor InstanceID:           DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353
Monitor DevicePath:

edid.txt file written.

Verifying edid.txt

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353

D:\Utilities\RatRefresh_0.14_test>ratrefresh -debug -norestart -refresh 59.300
Registry key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE could not be opened. Trying to create subkey.
Registry value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\ could Not be read. Using the original EDID value.
Press key to continue.

*** StoredEDIDValue(54): 226

Key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
WantedRefreshRate 59.300
HexCurrentPixelClock: 68e2
CurrentPixelClock: 26850
CalculatedPixelClock 26549
HexCalculatedPixelClock 67b5
ReversedEdidHexCalculatedPixelClock b567
TotalChecksum 9648
Checksum 80
HexChecksum 50
-norestart supplied, Not restarting video driver.

done
Press key to continue.

Registry

"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&2&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,b5,67,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,81,91,21,00,00,1a,00,\

It's worth noting that after I did all this, I went back, renamed devcon64.exe back, and tried 0.11.  Initially it wouldn't work with the device ID from the prior run, I had to edit it back and change the 1 to a 0 again.  It set the refresh rate to the same 59.972.

I deleted the display and monitor from Device Manager again, re-ran CRU, again, the device ID changed to 5&67fc0b1&3&UID4353 but at least ufotest shows the requested rate again.

Here's the registry after I got 0.11 working again without doing a restore from my registry backup

"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&3&UID4353]
"Service"="monitor"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&3&UID4353\Device Parameters]
  40,81,80,d1,c0,01,01,b5,67,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,\
  00,00,00,00,01,c3

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&3&UID4353\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE]
  81,80,d1,c0,01,01,b5,67,00,a0,a0,40,2e,60,30,20,36,00,80,90,21,00,00,1a,00,\
  00,00,00,01,c3
  00,00,00,00,8f

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\DEL4083\5&67fc0b1&3&UID4353\Device Parameters\WDF]

Rataplan727

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2023, 09:21:54 am »
'Good' news: I have the same issue myself now. And that happened after using CRU 1.5.2. So that'll help debugging. I can't even get it back working with 0.11 after that. Will investigate and post an update.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:30:37 am by Rataplan727 »

trevorp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2023, 12:05:23 pm »
Glad you can recreate the issue, sorry it's hosed up your install now.

I can definitely get 0.11 back to working after deleting the monitor and display adapters, and rebooting.  I have noticed if you're not quick enough with the reboot, windows starts detecting stuff automatically and I'm pretty sure that's how I had my display numbers walking from 0 to 1 to 2 to 3.

Rataplan727

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2023, 04:50:11 pm »
I noticed during testing that every time you remove your video driver or monitors from device manager, I think the latter, it gets redetected with a number +1. Not sure why that is, but that's what I see.

Anyway, I think I found the issue, and it's related to using CRU.
[Boring explanation] When you use CRU, it obviously writes a custom EDID value. However, it writes the Feature Blocks, which is a part of the EDID string that contains the min / max refreshrates as supplied by the monitor itself, in a different way, maybe even incorrect according to EDID specs. What RatRefresh did was to use the existing custom EDID value as a base to calculate things. And as RatRefresh checks the minimum and maximum refreshrates your monitor supports, which read out completely wrong, it wouldn't work properly. So I changed RatRefresh to use the monitors own supplied EDID value to customize, unless you use the switch -usecustomedid in which case it works as before.
What's even weirder though is that I've seen several times that CRU changes the monitors own EDID value, and changes min/max there too:

And that's why I made the -remove option to delete both the EDID_OVERRIDE key, but also the monitors original EDID value. After that it resets the display, and the EDID value will be re-generated by what the monitor supplies
[/Boring explanation]

I've upped a new (debug) version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JZ_-TFvZktMEZGlCvAAuLv28zT_h92nD/view?usp=sharing
run RatRefresh -remove
run RatRefresh -setup
and now just run for example RatRefresh -refresh 58.850

Let me know! Unfortunately none of the admins has responded to my question to unlock my Rataplan626 account, so I can't update the opening post  :(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 04:52:30 pm by Rataplan727 »

TitanGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2023, 10:16:20 pm
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2023, 10:06:57 pm »
Unfortunately, after following the steps the refresh rate doesn't seem to change. I followed your steps but set the refresh rate to 57.451. On the UFO Test, the refresh rate is still close to 60 Hz.

Also, after it refreshes, there is still noticeable tearing when scrolling on web pages. It's subtle, so I don't know if anyone noticed it or if they might have the same issue. Can you test to see if you get screen tearing in your browser after resetting your refresh rate? If not, it might be an issue with my video card driver. I get the same issue when disabling/enabling the video card manually from the device manager.

I'm not sure if the CRU tool caused some type of conflict with the video card driver or if it would have had the same issue without CRU installed. I reset CRU before re-installing RatRefresh and it still gives tearing. I may have to re-install my video card drivers to see if the issue persists. Restarting my machine fixes the tearing completely, it still persists until I restart, even if I reset the refresh rate in Windows. After restarting my machine setting the refresh rate from Windows without enabling or disabling the video card or using RatRefresh doesn't cause the screen tearing.

Rataplan727

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2023, 03:04:32 am »
*sigh* I really hoped this would've fixed it. The thing you have in common with TrevorP is that both of you have NVidia GPU's. In a way I have the feeling that has a relation to the issue. But on the other hand, trevorp states and showed that RatRefresh 0.11 works fine for him. The actual registry key written by 0.11 is identical (or should be) to the one from later versions. The calculation of the resulting registry key has not changed since 0.11, after an issue found by user xxDaViDxx. All changes since are about detecting the registry key it has to write to, and adding more parameters, but nothing about the actual registry value.

So, if have some spare time and want to help out, if you know your way in Windows, can you:
- run RatRefresh -remove once again
- export me your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY registry
- delete edid.txt and Run RatRefresh -setup once again just to be sure
- run ratrefresh -refresh 59.150 or something
- export me your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY registry again

Did 0.11 work for you? Does it work when you set a custom resolution through CRU?

Thanks for helping out.

trevorp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2023, 08:35:11 am »
I had negative results as well.  Just didn't get a chance to do the full registry export run this morning.  Will do at lunch, just to document progress, and I'll also follow the above instructions as well.

I was going to ask if the nvidia GPU might be the issue as I recall you were testing with NUC.

I've got a few generations old NUC here I also want to test with, just to see if the results are different.

Rataplan727

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2023, 08:48:44 am »
yeah but then again I just can't think of ANY reason why 0.11 WOULD work then...

[edit]
ah cr@p... I just found another bug, triggered on my work pc which does not occur on my home pc, laptop and cab. Working on that. No need for additional registry export for now. Stay tuned  :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 09:32:25 am by Rataplan727 »