Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Cabaret - Done done doneski...unless somebody has a better idea  (Read 28995 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
I appreciate the feedback everybody!  Couldn't have gotten here without your input, and I think it has really paid off.  I'm happy.

<<original post>>

Those that keep up with my real world life (why would you) and don't know, I moved this past spring.  This triggered a number of things happening all at once.  Namely some very hard choices about the masses of wood and CRT living in my garage.  My Daytona now lives in a buddy's garage in Alabama and his kids are enjoying it on the regular.  Passed it off for free because he's a bro and had recouped most of my original investment from parting the second.  In case anyone wants a stroll down memory lane you can clicky here.  Also got rid of Idle Fingers aka Last Starfighter aka the STUN Runner retheme because that MF was heavier than the damn Daytona.  Holy hell.  Changed out the yoke for a regular one and slide in a less robust computer running a tight list and it was gone gone gone.  That thread is here if you're still with me.  TAF moved because you won't be able to pry my TAF away from my cold dead fingers.  All the unfinished project whatnots moved. 

That left me with a lot to do, but most importantly a of bin random cabling, PC components, and my Yoke+ which is still a thing, but I think I'm down to only one game that I use it on.  Probably just replace it with a button eventually.  Over the summer I did some thinking and decided that a smaller form factor might just be the way to go.  Something I could move around and not stress about.  Something like a cabaret...only SW never had a cabaret.  Well it freakin' does now!

I briefly had a Monaco GP cabaret before determining it was way beyond my restorative powers, but long enough to realize it was the perfect cabaret for a SW build - so I copied it.  Wood work took a weekend, had a friend with a metal brake brake some metal for me.  I *may* at some point down the line add a pedal to this, would help out on a few games and open up a few others - but likely as much not. 

Anyway, we aren't complete yet but here's what we are!

Top down view for a bit of scale.  It's super comfy to play.  We are running a 19" 3:4 LCD that I just got this past week (for freeeeeee).  Before that I had a 17" in with a ghetto temp bezel and light leaks everywhere.  It's been in the house since late September I think, maybe August, but had a crappy monitor and no marquee for the longest. 

A bit of side action, the cab is laminated head to toe, which only takes one sheet for this size of build.

Close-up of the marquee and FE.  Still running Attract-mode FE, works a charm.  The marquee is gorgeous, pictures don't do it justice.  STPCORE did it for me, those of you who have his translites know the quality.  This thing is tits, and he included an additional transfusing sheet that really give it a nice even glow. Someday I may get froggy and go mask off the black boarder but I'm pretty happy the way it is.  If you're wondering, why yes that is the back glass art for the SW cockpit - have I mentioned that's where I fondled my first tiddy?  Good times.

Cab off.  Monitor got dropped in today, big improvement.  Would like to further upgrade to a 19" CRT, VGA or otherwise, but that'll require a kick out space on the back and I'm not hating what I have right now.  It's noice.  Lessee, coindoor has an Easy CoinUp wired up, which I love.  It's wired to both coinup and P1 start.  Does everything I need with a few presses.  A 12mm button is below that to get you back to the FE.   

Art - looking at doing the ROTJ CPO art for my CPO.  Also looking at doing some gray vinyl fighter decals along the bottom front.   For the sides I've been playing with the cockpit style art, but haven't really devoted any time to making that happen.  They might just stay black.  Not a lot of room on the bezel so probably nothing there, maybe some Imperial window patterns in two lines down the sides in dark gray.  Nothing crazy. Torn on which yoke overlay to use.  I prefer the SW overlay but think the ROTJ overlay looks better if I'm using the ROTJ CPO stuff.  Maybe I can tweak the SW CPO, don't want to fully skin the panel tho, just a few touches so that's why I'm leaning ROTJ.  Maybe chrome decals.  I dunno, might go crazy. 

Somebody please help me not ruin this thing in the home stretch.  I really like this cab, want to finish her off right.  Let's talk the art.  Thanks for looking!   

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:52:41 am by Le Chuck »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Star Wars Cabaret
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 10:04:16 pm »
I really like that form factor Le Chuck.  I've been planning a cabaret RoadBlasters for some time and this is inspiring.  Nice work.   :cheers

RetroGreg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:33:04 pm »
Great work! I really like the bigger marquee on it. What's on your game list?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:45:34 pm »
Looks good, brother! Rollo approves.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 10:46:44 pm »
I really like that form factor Le Chuck.  I've been planning a cabaret RoadBlasters for some time and this is inspiring.  Nice work.   :cheers

Thanks bro, you should totally tackle that build!

Great work! I really like the bigger marquee on it. What's on your game list?

Thanks broseph!

Game list: After Burner, Cyber Sled, ESB, Mobile Suite Gundam Final Assault, Galaxy Force II, Gun Buster, Hydro Thunder, Jurassic Park, Mario Kart GP2, Offroad Thunder, Paperboy, Prop Cycle, ROTJ, Space Harrier, Solar Assault, STUN Runner, Star Blade. Star Wars, Star Wars Racer Revenge - PS2 version, T2 Judgement Day, Star Wars Trilogy, Gunner's Heart (really need to source an english translation).

Looks good, brother! Rollo approves.

Hells yeah he does!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:08:38 am »
I thought Hydro Thunder wasn't emulated properly?  Or am I just completely out of the loop these days?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:47:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:37:46 am »
That is a nice focused build. Really clean.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:41:54 am »
Looks good Chuck!

I don't have any great suggestions for the art, except to say do something. :) Maybe minimal being better. Some CP/Yoke/bezel stuff to really pull in the star wars theme. I'll echo your doubt towards a pedal. I had a mame driver. Not a lot of games out there if you add a pedal. I mean, there will definitely be some games, but depending on whether you go with a microswitch pedal, or a pot, you'll still have to deal with the other variables such as 270 or 360 degree steering wheel, shifter hi/low or shifter 1-4 gears, and additional buttons. You'll find the game list really shrinks. I always said that if I built another cabinet for driving games, it would be for a console. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 06:43:09 am »
And maybe I missed it but what are you using to connect the Yoke to the PC? I'm interested in the game list - does everything work pretty well?

Mine doesn't have the same list of games as yours does, so I'm interested in the front end and configuration you picked.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 07:49:33 am »
Yoke is connected via a KADE board, game list is up a few posts in the reply to RetroGreg if anyone missed it.  It's short.  Everything works great.  Hydro Thunder is the PC port so it's great (not arcade beautiful) but arcade playable and looks pretty damn good as it is once you turn on all the fancy-schmancy stuff in the gui, if you haven't played it you should definitely look it up.  It's a standalone and not too difficult to find.  FE post is here, I had been using Arximidis FE and trying to get a nice spacey feel and finally switched over the attractmode with the Warp layout.  It's cool because the starfield moves in every direction you move the yoke.  The games just rotate left/right across the screen in carousel.  You could set up multiple emulators to cycle through by going down/up but since I run such a condensed list I'm just batch loading everything from a single folder.  Easier on guests too.  The only games that take explanation are Trilogy and Mario Kart because both of those you have to wait until you're past the initial load screen to coin up or they get angry.  Everything else just works. 

I have a few positional gun games in the mix, they are just a different format of an on-rails shooter so they work great.  I've tried a few of the lightgun games but most don't feel right on the yoke.  Jurassic and T2 are just there for my boys, they love it and don't know any better about the control lol.  The others actually feel pretty natural on the yoke, especially Gundam.  The only game I had to do special control mapping (aside from adjusting the analog sensitivity or flipping the Y axis depending on game) was Cybersled.  I have to press a button and steer to turn, otherwise I just strafe.  Took all of 5 minutes to get used to it and now I can run the board with about any of the sleds, but I favor the slower, harder hitters.  Most of the games I tried to keep in the space fighter theme, both because that's what I like and also just for aesthetics - but there's a lot on the list that is just too fun not to have.  Mario Kart and Hydro Thunder get played literally every time the machine is on.  Not so for some of the others. 

Lew - What's your gamelist looking like, I'm always looking for a good game to add?  Good advice on the pedal.  You're right, there are a few titles like Thunder Ceptor that need an accelerator but I answered that with the thumbstick I added.  After a week I also decided Thunder Ceptor is a crap game and yanked it from the list.  I've tried a few Shmups but it's hard to find ones have a behind the pilot POV and I don't like the top down regular style with the yoke, plus my screen is landscape so yeah, plus the yoke isn't really the best controller for bullet hell, so yeah.  That's why I was thrilled to come across Gunner's Heart.  It's a Doujin (japanese indie/fan game) that is awesome.  Eventually I'll drop the $20 for the english version, right now I'm pretty sure it's trying to communicate with me about some important story but I'm just not getting it lol. 

I'll do CPO and Yoke overlay first and see how I feel from there, don't want to clutter up such a small build.   

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:51:23 am »
And maybe I missed it but what are you using to connect the Yoke to the PC? I'm interested in the game list - does everything work pretty well?

Mine doesn't have the same list of games as yours does, so I'm interested in the front end and configuration you picked.

Go update your build log thread, the SW isn't even on there man.  Housekeeping matters yo!

Wyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 09:22:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 07:57:07 am »
Man, this is all kinds of awesome.  It would of been cool if you could have incorporated some of the three dimensional bezel relief of the original upright.  Can't wait to see iit finished....Im really jealous.  Looks awesome, awesome game as well.

I love that marquee.  Did you light the Death Star individually? Looks cool!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 08:08:15 am »
Rather than keep referring people to other threads I'll just quote some quotes here to put things in one place. 

About the gamelist
So over the last year I've tried a number of games and have whittled down the list a fair amount, so this won't be a list of all yoke compatible games.  Instead, this will be a list of guest/kid friendly yoke games that have worked out for me.  A lot of games didn't last because they took too long to get into, weren't fun in short bursts, didn't have replay, needed too much explanation of what to do or how to do it, felt redundant, etc.  While Freespace is awesome of what it is, it does hit on a lot of those things.  Ditto a ton of other games.  That said, I've uploaded my current batch of transparent snaps made for use with Attract-Mode FE's Warp Layout (includes a lot of games not listed here, for your use). 

So here's my list and why its a keeper for me - and if you've got any recommendations let me hear them.  Love adding new content!

After Burner - a surprising fav of guests and kids with them routinely playing through multiple levels
Cyber Sled - personal fav, recent add.  More for me than anyone else
ESB - Completeness, people expect to see it but no one plays it.
Mobile Suite Gundam Final Assault - Space themed rail shooter where you start flying in the second-ish level.  Good ish
Galaxy Force II - Fun space rail shooter with good level variety.
Gun Buster - Unique movement mechanic that works really well with the yoke
Hydro Thunder - Played every time the machine is on by anyone playing.  Often times the only game on during a party
Jurassic Park - kids. love. it.  Want to get the sequel working but it's more light gunny so probably not the best choice. 
Mario Kart GP2 - the other fan favorite, fills that cart racer itch
Night Striker - recent addition, kids enjoy it, good variety, might not last
Paperboy - Those that remember it love it, those that don't skip it.
Prop Cycle - Got it running full speed, audio glitches a bit.  Works great with a yoke and is a nice change of pace
ROTJ - completeness and a personal fav.  I really enjoy this much hated gem.
Space Harrier - Really really want to upgrade to the Planet Harriers on Demul Hakiru, just can't get it working right.  This is a good unique game tho.
Solar Assault - Wow.  Needs no reason. If you can get it running full speed it's a must have. 
STUN Runner - Surprisingly in the top five for most played games.  Everybody remembers it and likes it.
Star Blade - Good wow factor, really works with the theme and feel
Star Wars - Completeness.  Nobody plays it for more than a level but me.  People usually jump in and then out after the first DS if they even make it that far. 
Star Wars Racer Revenge - PS2 version, better than the PC SWR, a few menus to jump through with either and this has better graphics and gameplay.
T2 - The other kids love it gotta have it game.
Star Wars Trilogy - Second most played game after Hydro Thunder.
Snaps are still in the original post.

About the FE
The short and sweet - Attract-Mode FE might be the easiest implementation of the "SW FE" out of the box. 

So if you want to try this go download Attract-Mode from: http://attractmode.org/download.html
Then download the Warp layout (read skin for you older FE'rs) from: https://github.com/mickelson/attract-extra (click dl zip in the lower right)

Then open that zip and copy the Warp folder out of layouts and drop it in the layouts folder in the freshest Attract-Mode FE you just downloaded. 
If you want any sounds drop them into the "sounds" folder - you'll assign them in the FE tab menu. 

Open the FE and hit tab.  Set the display as Warp and point the emulators at the snaps and files you want to run.  Set sounds.  Set the controls (Attract-Mode read my kade+ out of the box) and you're done.  Stupid simple.  I have all my stuff running from a folder full of batch files and only the "windows programs" emulator setup since it looks for *.bat or *.lnk. Just about 5 minutes worth of fiddling and I was done.

About the yoke
Been able to get after a few things in the last bit - I have two other projects actively going and one on the burner right now so I've been multitasking like a mofo:

Got the yoke prepped and laid out to tackle assembly

If you need to replace your bumpers these are a great fit and a set of four will run you $6 at Lowes.  They are a little big but you can trim them if necessary. 

Thumb button installed

Interior view

Analog and trigger wired up together for the right hand grip.  Went to go hook it up to the kade+ for testing and realized that I don't have any 10k ohm resistors left in the house so I'll have to run to the Shack.  Kinda took the wind out of my sails as I was on a roll.  The cut away on the trigger mount is for analog clearance - it'll be a tight fit

These are the boots I went with for the analog stick, it's kind of of pricey for such a little piece but you get three to practice on.  I had to cut off the top ring to get the fit I wanted.  Pic is link fyi.

Once I got the kadestick sorted I wired everything up for a test fit - had my axis reversed and on one pot I had the 5v and G reversed but that's why we test  ;D 

Here's where I began to build up the support.  I thought about using putty but hot glue a little at a time gave me a lot of control over how the support structure got built.  I wanted to ensure that the pots and pushbutton on the unit didn't get gummed up.  It was tedious but once I had a good base I was able to start using wood stints to help build up the area faster.  Of course if I ever have to change the unit out I'll probably just buy a new handle rather than fight that mess lol. 

That T-molding needs to hurry up and arrive so I can mount the monitor and get this show on the road!

Now we're getting somewhere.  The boot around the analog stick needs to be glued down as there is a little bit of lift at the corners but I'll wait until I do the final test to do that.

gonzojoey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2020, 10:26:44 am
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 08:28:50 am »
Looks great! Nice work  :cheers:

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:07 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 01:03:08 pm »
LeChuck or anybody know where I can get these leaf switches?  Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread.

Interior view

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 02:00:20 pm »

Go update your build log thread, the SW isn't even on there man.  Housekeeping matters yo!

My previous builds thread is a mess. The hosting company I originally used (live) has gone under. The images are still there though. I should.... SHOULD... fix it some day
I don't really create build threads anymore, or take pics. The Star Wars was a pretty good add to the arcade.

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:45 pm »
Great game list. I love Hydro Thunder and I really liked ROTJ when I was a kid even though I remember not being too good at it. I'm going to have to look up how to get Mario Kart GP to run.

The more I look at this the more I like it. It's really a unique, cool cabinet. I'm glad everyone likes it so much.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:52 pm »
So the plan for the control panel is to use the ROTJ inserts and yoke overlay.  But I don't want to just stick the inserts on.  That's no fun. 

Imma recreate this relief area around the yoke.  My CP is wider and I think shorter, so some resizing will be in order.  Plan is to do it out of 1/4" MDF and then route it down to a nice beveled edge througout, bondo that sucker up and paint it to match the CP.  That way the decals have somewhere to sit the whole thing is a bit more visually appealing. I'll be doing math tomorrow night and should be able to start cutting this weekend.  Hopefully I can keep the scale right and get Thisoldgame to print them at a reduced size for me.  If the shapes don't work out because of the scale difference I'll see what I can composite from the SW CPO and go with that yoke overlay.  Either way I'm gonna gussy up the CPO a bit with some nice beveled edges. 

For the bezel, i just have a few inches to work with but am thinking the ROTJ instruction card could be modified to fit and look nice.  Sides will probably stay plain and I'm still toying with the kick plate area, but honestly I think those three touches will be enough. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:25:15 pm by Le Chuck »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 03:56:50 pm »
I think I already know the answer to this but...well..hope springs eternal.

Have you tried to play Roadblasters with your SW Yoke?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 04:33:39 pm »

No, but it should be fine.  Roadblasters was only one axis so the Y could be the accelerator.  I will give it a shot this weekend and let you know.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 04:51:10 pm »

No, but it should be fine.  Roadblasters was only one axis so the Y could be the accelerator.  I will give it a shot this weekend and let you know.

:cheers:

Would much appreciate that.  That list of games you posted really has me wanting to build one of these.  Thanks Le Chuck.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 04:54:42 pm »
paperboy is very playable - for sure. I'm going to look at the rest of the list. My cabinet is in need of a monitor swap. I used a LCD, but I'm going to swap it out for a CRT. When I do that, I'm going to check out the FE Mr. Chuck suggested.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »
I have a secret menu on my Star Wars MAME cabinet that has Paperboy, Road Blaster, Stun Runner, and a bunch of other games. They all seem to play just fine.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 03:00:41 pm »
Art decisions have been made.  Going to use the SW yoke overlay and am compositing art from the SW CPO to fill in a "ROTJ style" shell that I'll be laying over the control panel to give it some depth.  The image below includes the black shell but that part will be 1/4" material and beveled.  Painted to match the hammered black CP.  Not shown are the venting cutaways at the bottom that you an see in the vector paths below the color render.  Art will be texture printed to match the yoke overlay.  Looking to finalize this shortly but wanted to throw it up for feeback...so thoughts?

I'm pretty happy with the shell cutout, I did templating in giant graph paper so I could lay in out on the yoke.  Already sent it off for milling.  Hopefully it comes out okay!  Once it does I'll verify decals, do test print for sizes, and then send them off for production.

I just tried road blasters.  Took an aweful lot of tweaking to get it playable, and I'd say it still isn't that good IMO.  Road Blasters was a dial/spinner controller I'm guessing - at least that's how it is in mame, and those are very finicky to translate to analog controls.  You can "dial" it in pretty close but it's still squirrely.  Maybe yots can provide better feedback about his settings.  Mine were dialed way down, like 10 for speed and 1 for sensitivity. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:55:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 09:26:02 pm »
Looking to finalize this shortly but wanted to throw it up for feeback...so thoughts?
Definitely impressive.   :applaud:   :notworthy:

My one small disagreement with the panel design is the Death Star display.

The Radar Warning Receiver display in the upper right looks like it belongs in a cockpit, because that's real-time threat information that a pilot would need.

It seems that something like the round shield/battle-damage display in these screencaps would be simlarly important information for the pilot.   ;D

Scott

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 11:46:07 pm »

While it's not an x-wing showing shield status it does perhaps go with the other tracking graphic a bit better.  Also from the original SW, along with the rest of the art, so it's in keeping with the arc I'm going for.  Minor difference I suppose.  For anyone wondering what the hell I'm talking about because the two are identical, it's the top left circle that is in question.

Also tried some other inserts, more red, different buttons, etc.  Nothing stuck out as better, so I'm keeping what I got for now - unless there are better ideas out there.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 01:25:33 am »
Looking good.   ;D

Have you considered removing the grid so it's a bit less busy?

Scott
EDIT: Just noticed that the targeting display (left display) looks like there are two targets to the left, but the Radar Warning Receiver display (right display) shows  one target forward-right.
If you flip the targeting display and remove one of the target blips, the displays will agree. [/OCD]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:16:44 am by PL1 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 01:55:21 am »
Commodore Scottbot is in full effect tonight...  :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 02:01:15 am »
Commodore Scottbot is in full effect tonight...  :cheers:
Yes, but is that a good thing or a bad thing?   :cheers:   :lol

Scott

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 11:43:42 am »

I just tried road blasters.  Took an aweful lot of tweaking to get it playable, and I'd say it still isn't that good IMO.  Road Blasters was a dial/spinner controller I'm guessing - at least that's how it is in mame, and those are very finicky to translate to analog controls.  You can "dial" it in pretty close but it's still squirrely.  Maybe yots can provide better feedback about his settings.  Mine were dialed way down, like 10 for speed and 1 for sensitivity.

Thanks for checking Le Chuck. I appreciate it. RoadBlasters does play surprisingly well with a spinner.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:46 pm »
Looking good.   ;D

Have you considered removing the grid so it's a bit less busy?

Scott
EDIT: Just noticed that the targeting display (left display) looks like there are two targets to the left, but the Radar Warning Receiver display (right display) shows  one target forward-right.
If you flip the targeting display and remove one of the target blips, the displays will agree. [/OCD]

The nerd-threat level just went to 10. lol, you guys are awesome!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 06:07:35 pm »
Today I've been playing around with some new games for the cab.  I'm trying to get Unpossible to work with the kade.  The way steam does its controls prevents it from working on the machine.  The cabaret isn't online and I don't run steam on it.  The only way to get controller support in Unpossible is to have steam running as the stupid game doesn't have controller support built in (grumble grumble).  The game; however, is gorgeous.  And fun, so if you're steaming on your yoke cab I highly recommend.  I might try a joy2key profile for it but I did notice a huge difference in movement between the keyboard and the analog controls when I had my yoke hooked up on my work pc.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300400/ <-link if anyone is interested.  Double triple kudo points if anyone can figure out how to get it working with joysticks without steam running. 

The winner for today was Torus Trooper.  Freeware found http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tt_e.html <-there.  It's a tube runner similar to N2O on the PS1 if you recall...only faster better and faster.  The timing mechanism is great for the arcade format too.  2 minutes on the clock, clock runs down, you lose 15 seconds for dying, you gain 15 seconds at score levels, you gain 30-45 seconds for bosses that only appear after killing/overtaking so many enemy.  The difficulties are very different feeling and whole game is just aces. Another thing I like about it, no deep menus.  You can execute the game and get playing with a single button press.  I really like Dyad - scratches a similar itch, but you have to go like 6 menus deep before you're even playing and that's terrible (in my opinion) for the arcade format.  Torus Trooper is instant gaming gratification at blinding speeds.   

! No longer available

I've also been trying to get HOTD3 working for the boys.  I'm using the PC version and can't get the Y axis flipped, so it's really annoying in that it's different than every other game on the cab.  Other than that annoyance it works.  The kids don't seem to care that much but it drives me bonkers so its off the menu until I can get it sorted.  Need to give the Wii version a try, hopefully it will do a good return to center also, as the PC version is relative rather than absolute. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:21:16 pm by Le Chuck »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »
You've got me wanting to build a Yoke cabinet now Le Chuck.   :cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:50:01 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 07:46:57 pm »
What happened to your Ice Cold Beer ripoff?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 09:06:05 pm »
What happened to your Ice Cold Beer ripoff?

It's still in the garage, just parked for now.  It's in the queue but I've been wanting to work on other projects for the past while.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 09:25:28 pm »
My panel came in today.  Really happy with how it turned out, now I just need to get it all primed, painted and mounted. 

Got the yoke off the CP and made sure the panel came out the way I wanted.  It did.

Made a spacer for the yoke so the handles won't smack into the panel and did a lot of fiddling and dry fitting to figure out where I wanted everything to sit. 

Now I get to prep prep prep to get it ready for some hammered black to match the CP.  Shown is first layer of primer, just applied a nice coat of a high-build primer that I'll let cure over night and start working it back in the morning.  Should be able to knock this out tomorrow if things go well.  Will need to head to the big box to pick up some mounting hardware and some longer yoke base screws. 

Now I just need to test print the art and we'll be off to the races. 

As for the cab, I'm still running tinyXP.  It's definetly time for a change.  Next weekend I might take a day and flip it over to W7 64 and get some games working that I haven't been able to because I'm using an ancient build (Howard's Offroad Thunder comes to mind).

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 09:31:57 pm »
Your attention to detail and workmanship are admirable.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 10:21:35 pm »
Sweet build so far. Good call on the hammered black. Looking forward to your progress!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 08:42:26 am »
That turned out nice.   :applaud:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:02 pm »
Need to special order some security torx bolts to class up the look but got it together.  Light in the room is crap so pics aren't stellar but once I get the art done I'll pull out the 5D M2 and do some glamour shots.

I'm really liking this, but those phillips head screws aren't doing it any favors.  Will feel much better once they get flipped out, but hey, progress is progress

Again, the light is poop, but IRL this feels much more like a production model.  Really looking forward to getting some art on it. 

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:33 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 07:45:15 am »
---gosh-darn--- that's purdy.

I love that you've made the panel rather than using graphics to give it depth. Really looks pro

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 11:30:08 am »
I am looking forward to seeing advancement on your control panel.  What angle is your control panel at?  What angle is your monitor at? 

Thanks for posting this. 

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2017, 11:28:36 am »
This project is freaking neat!!!!!   :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2017, 03:09:42 pm »
What angle is your control panel at?  What angle is your monitor at? 

CP is 20o and the monitor is 60o from vert.

Thanks for the kudos fellas. Got the new hardware in. Much better looking. Waiting on Rich over at TOG to take a look at my insert file and give me a quote on the velvet polycarbonate vinyl to match the yoke overlay.

Starting to work on the migration to W7 64 too, just getting everything backed up first.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 09:49:38 pm »
Done!  Recently added Blaster and Exidy Top Gunner to the game list and deleted a bunch of other stuff.  Got Unpossible working via an xpadder work-around, it's not perfect but it's playable.  Readded Race the Sun as I had forgotten how much the boys and I liked that game.  Few of the menus in that title are sometimes squibby and need a mouse - might add an xpadder file to that as well to make sure I don't have to break out the wifi keyboard anymore.  Other than that everything is locked down.  TOG never did get back to me about the art after multiple follow-up emails (I'm impatient and they're busy, I don't blame them and no money changed hands) so I hit up Lucian045 and he came through like a boss.  Called me twice, once to make initial contact and once to discuss the art and my expectations.  I'll post over in his thread but if you need something done I highly recommend him.  Super fast, super nice, super nice quality product.  Anyway, this thread sucks without pics. 

At some point I will get some smoked glass and might add a detail on the bottom or an instruction card or something but all that is gravy.  This is far and away one of my personally favorite builds.  It might not be everybody's cup of tea but it sure and hell is mine. 

Wyo

• Offline Offline
Re: Star Wars Cabaret - Done!
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2017, 01:34:05 am »
Wow man! I missed the part where you were making the relief panel for the control panel....I thought it was gonna just be vinyl overlay.  AWESOME! That detail really tied it to the original SW upright, it looks legit! You did a fantastic job, I'm jealous!  :cheers:

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 11:57:41 am »
Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  You lie, you didn't do that.  That's a factory piece that was never released to the public!  That is super nice!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 01:05:35 pm »
I think it's great!
Any plans for side art? Looks a bit bare without it.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2017, 01:35:03 pm »
Looks great!

So what's the deal with the little nook it's in? Looks like a perfect fit for a video game, but if you didn't happen to have a video game, what is supposed to go there?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 01:56:08 pm »
Wow man! I missed the part where you were making the relief panel for the control panel....I thought it was gonna just be vinyl overlay.  AWESOME! That detail really tied it to the original SW upright, it looks legit! You did a fantastic job, I'm jealous!  :cheers:

Thanks, I agree, the relief brings it into the fold of the other cabinet designs.  Well worth the time and effort.

Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  You lie, you didn't do that.  That's a factory piece that was never released to the public!  That is super nice!
High praise, I was definitely going for a factory look. 

Looks great!

So what's the deal with the little nook it's in? Looks like a perfect fit for a video game, but if you didn't happen to have a video game, what is supposed to go there?
Not video games?  Dunno, the whole house is weird, like they were trying too hard to carve out square footage that it ended up not entirely usable footage.  I've got my pinball in the other one.  Works out really well. 

I think it's great!
Any plans for side art? Looks a bit bare without it.

I've played around with it, the bare sides don't bother me and I'm not 100% convinced that the effort is worth it to revamp the original art.  I'd be wanting to keep the same look as the original as much as possible which leaves me with something like this: 

^10 min mockup, would move Ties around more, more space, yadda yadda, which again, would be a project on its own to do correctly...unless you have some other ideas.  Does something like that get your engine revving?  I've been in the forest too long with this one to see the trees anymore (or versa vice)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2017, 02:04:18 pm »
Looks like a perfect fit for a video game, but if you didn't happen to have a video game, what is supposed to go there?

A stool, pair of binoculars, and bottle of lotion.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Re: Star Wars Cabaret - Maybe not done...curse you Op2Not!
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 02:29:29 pm »
Darth Vader always had that 80's look in that side art.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2017, 02:32:41 pm »
Darth Vader always had that 80's look in that side art.

:laugh2:

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2017, 04:11:05 pm »
Looks great, super cool little cabaret! I love the relief and beveling for the instrument panel, nice touch.  :cheers:
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2017, 04:16:32 pm »
Lol sorry man. I always gotta push the artwork angle!

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »
I'm digging the side art as well, would be a nice addition.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2017, 06:30:29 pm »
Do it!

So... what about the front? And where's R2? He would look sweet serving drinks around this machine.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2017, 06:50:42 pm »
Do it!

So... what about the front? And where's R2? He would look sweet serving drinks around this machine.

He's keeping my boys company.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,153282.msg1605795.html#msg1605795

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 09:27:26 pm
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2017, 09:55:03 am »
Bravo sir. Superb build!!!

good day.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2017, 09:04:38 pm »
Opt2Not is just the worst.  I was all fine with bare sides.  Perfectly happy (or so I thought) and then he's all like, "you think you done, but you ain't done" and I was all "am too" and he was all "for nuh" and I was all "bruh" and he was all "dood" and I was "dood."  So I spent the better part of last night and this afternoon doing this.  Firstly, can I not just leave well enough alone?  And secondly, I really like this.  My kid really likes this.  I think it, like the CPO cover and the dude's rug, will really tie things together.

Wanting some scrutiny on the sky, positions of tie fighters, basically everything on the top half around and above Vader is either scratch built or composited.  Either way, it's all layered and I can move it around a fair bit, but this is where I'm at. 

Bravo sir. Superb build!!!

Thanks!  It's been a ton of fun!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2017, 09:34:11 pm »
Nice!

We got Deathstar!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2017, 09:54:01 pm »
Looks good,  Chuckles.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2017, 11:48:59 pm »
Dood, it looks good.

My only little scrutiny is the second Tie fighter doesn't necessarily need to touch Vader's head. I know the first one does in the original, but for the second I'd raise it a little bit and have that element separate from overlapping Vader.

One more thing, and this might be more opinion than anything, but the original art filled up the sides. Yours leaves that top lip empty. I was thinking since this is a special cab, how about extending the space stars and outlines up there and perhaps finding another ship to insert into that area. Like, oh I don't know, the Millennium Falcon? ;)
Angle it down towards the Ties like the trench scene bail-out in A New Hope! You could even have it overlap the outlines a little like the x-wing does.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2017, 11:54:31 pm »
 :stupid

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2017, 07:47:15 am »
Dood, it looks good.

My only little scrutiny is the second Tie fighter doesn't necessarily need to touch Vader's head. I know the first one does in the original, but for the second I'd raise it a little bit and have that element separate from overlapping Vader.

One more thing, and this might be more opinion than anything, but the original art filled up the sides. Yours leaves that top lip empty. I was thinking since this is a special cab, how about extending the space stars and outlines up there and perhaps finding another ship to insert into that area. Like, oh I don't know, the Millennium Falcon? ;)
Angle it down towards the Ties like the trench scene bail-out in A New Hope! You could even have it overlap the outlines a little like the x-wing does.

Yeah, I'm not happy with the tie fighters yet, the smallest one seems a little cattywampus and I agree that they need some scrooching around.  Probably totally not going to climb up thin portion of the marquee, just a preference thing, but I do really appreciate the feedback and will mess around with it some more. 

As for the front, what with the coindoor being offset to one side, the other having the speaker panel, and the whole thing being a cabaret I'm planing on leaving that as-is.  I like where the side art is headed because it's evocative of the original while still being a pretty significant departure.  I don't feel the need to try and tackle a similar feat on the front, as there is quite a bit going on visually already. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Re: Star Wars Cabaret - Working on sideart. Opt2Not is not so bad
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »

Updated art.  Thoughts? 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2017, 07:24:08 am »
I like the twinkle in Vader's eye. Seriously though, I like it. I need to take the time to learn how to do this kind of stuff. Artwork is a big weakness in my game.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2017, 10:01:11 am »
Yeah that's nice.  Call it done in my book :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:23 am »
Should extend to the top of the cabinet, though.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2017, 01:41:11 pm »
 :stupid

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2017, 06:16:30 am »
You know as an artist yourself that the original side art has no flow.  There is no linear continuity if you will.  Everything is slapped on the original artwork to make it look as 'cool' as possible.  You need to fix it.  Make it a Le Chuck original.  I've always like Olly Moss' take on Star Wars posters.  I for one would like to see you try something along those lines and not just give up once you hit the artwork.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2017, 07:52:22 am »
Yeah because a radical departure from the original artwork would really flow with the rest of his build. ::)

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:52 am »
Not a fan of Star Wars in any way, shape, or form... But this machine is tits! Nicely done! :cheers:
%Bartop

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2017, 11:00:57 am »
JD - While I trained to be an artist for many years at this point I think the best I can aspire to that of craftsman, which I think suits me more anyway.  As for your editorial assertion that the original art had no flow I personally disagree.  I do agree that Moss' work is quite lovely but I'm going to stick with the homage I've been working on.  For this piece I define success as being able to put my build up next to an original upright and original cockpit and have people wonder, at first glance, if Atari produced a cabaret. 

The cabarets size is really working for me, I'm kinda itching to do another already.  Missile Command anyone?

Not a fan of Star Wars in any way, shape, or form... But this machine is tits! Nicely done! :cheers:

Thanks man!  I've had a few similar reactions from a local group I shared this with, glad to know it's able to stand apart. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2017, 04:10:20 pm »
This is amazing Chuckles... I want one!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2017, 04:56:17 pm »
I still think you're going to regret not having that artwork extend to the top.  Perhaps you can design it in such a way that you could lop it off prior to installation if you didn't like the looks?

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »

Too lazy to read the thread but good on you for giving your Daytona to a friend  :cheers:

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 03:13:27 pm »

As for the spacing of the Tie Fighters, I think it looks good. If extending to the top is a definite no-go, then I'd say it's ready to print.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:49 am »
I appreciate the feedback everybody!  Couldn't have gotten here without your input, and I think it has really paid off.  I'm happy.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
 :applaud:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Looks weird not extending to the top, particularly since the edges of your artwork match the outline of the rest of the cabinet.  But that's a minor thing nobody besides me and opt2not will ever care about.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
Complete badass-ery, love it. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Looks weird not extending to the top, particularly since the edges of your artwork match the outline of the rest of the cabinet.  But that's a minor thing nobody besides me and opt2not will ever care about.

I'm good with weirding out you two.  I did try extending the art, looked poopy.  This looks more better. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Well it definitely looks more complete now, that's for sure. You happy I talked you into adding the artwork? I think it looks great, regardless of the non-extension at the top.

To me it now looks like a cabaret that could have been factory produced. great job overall. And thanks for taking our small criticisms like a champ.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
Looks perfect. Good call on not bringing the art all the way up.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Yeah, ignore James. Extending the artwork would look really dumb.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Thanks guys, this was a fun one.  Start to finish we're looking at like three different cabs and several years involved.  Iterations upon iterations.  Really cool to see what came out in the end and how different it was from my original scheme years and years ago.  New Republic Flight Trainer -> STUN Runner to Starfighter Retheme -> Star Wars Cabaret.  Mind bottling.   

You happy I talked you into adding the artwork?

Yes, 100%.  I just needed a light shove in the right direction.  Thanks!

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
This turned out great.  :applaud:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Yot and whoever the hell that zombie dude is are welcome to their wrong opinions. 

I did a quick and dirty mockup.  I think you still have time to correct this oversight...

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Looks great. I see it got moved out of the dungeon nook, so that's a promotion at least.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Looks great. I see it got moved out of the dungeon nook, so that's a promotion at least.

Had to make room for the binoculars and stool.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline

Had to make room for the binoculars and stool.

And the small side table with the Kleenex and Jergens.

My allergies act up and it's just so dry up there it makes it hard to hold the binos...one handed...

It's back in the nook. Slid it out for pics.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
Super sweet build.  If I ever get hold of a star wars yoke in the wild I am copying your build.  Its just perfect :)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Super sweet build.  If I ever get hold of a star wars yoke in the wild I am copying your build.  Its just perfect :)

If ever you decide to actually do so I'll share the art and cut plans for the CPO.  Just hit me up.  Goes for anyone, nothing on here is originally mine accept the CPO panel, all the art is just composited from the original so I have no issue sharing my changes.  I'd just post them up but they are rather largeish.   

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
Top notch build Le Chuck! I love that you added the side art. It really completes the cab.  :applaud:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2017, 07:20:02 pm »

To be honest I didn't think it needed side-art but this picture shows that I know about as much as Jon Snow--which is nothing.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2017, 07:56:46 pm »

To be honest I didn't think it needed side-art but this picture shows that I know about as much as Jon Snow--which is nothing.

9/10 adding the complete art package is the difference between making a good project and making an amazing project. Most of the time people shy away from side art because they are either non-artistic or they're too attached to their paint job. But art completes the project and amplifies the theme. It takes just as much planning and effort to create art than it does to build the cab itself, specifically with custom work. Luckily this is using existing art, so the time is chopped down considerably.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
It insists upon itself.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
Gorgeous cab for a badass game.  Looks like legit factory product!  Jealous!  :cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Thanks all!

It insists upon itself.

James prefers The Money Pit.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:33 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Beautiful.  :applaud:

If i can ever get my hands on a Star Wars yoke (not likely in the uk) then I'm copying this cab as is. Stunning work.

One question - did you outsize the base to make it more stable? (Making assumptions about how it looks and could be wrong!)

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
Beautiful.  :applaud:

If i can ever get my hands on a Star Wars yoke (not likely in the uk) then I'm copying this cab as is. Stunning work.

Is there no one 3d printing yoke replica's?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I think some dude named Ram Controls was going to remake them.

wp34

• Offline Offline
Link?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
One question - did you outsize the base to make it more stable? (Making assumptions about how it looks and could be wrong!)

That's how the base is on the cab this is copied from.  I completed it without and it didn't feel unsteady or anything but I decided I liked the look with it added, so I did. I might take it off again in the future.  Perhaps if one was really wrenching on the yoke you could get it rocking but doubtful. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline

wp34

• Offline Offline
I was kidding but thanks for the link.   RAM CONTROLS was melting down when I first go into the hobby.  :cheers:

Link?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,110148.0.html

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Lol I thought you were legit asking.

wp34

• Offline Offline
Looks like I even posted in that thread years ago.   :lol

Just proves I should leave the PBJ to the professionals.  Not in my wheelhouse.

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2017, 10:30:20 pm
    • Michael Whitney - Designer. Maker. Builder.
This is absolutely incredible! Great build.... and I thought I'd just be building one arcade. My wife is gonna ban me from this forum.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Visited this thread for the first time today... WOW, just WOW !!!!  :cheers:

NO MORE!!

sho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2022, 10:44:00 am
Re: Star Wars Cabaret - Done done doneski...unless somebody has a better idea
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2019, 07:21:14 am »
Sorry about posting in a dormant thread, but have you ever considered this game for inclusion? (I wonder about its yoke applicability).
It is apparently quite good.
Bubble Bobble YAWN

rhuntervf1s

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 08:29:30 am

If ever you decide to actually do so I'll share the art and cut plans for the CPO.  Just hit me up.  Goes for anyone, nothing on here is originally mine accept the CPO panel, all the art is just composited from the original so I have no issue sharing my changes.  I'd just post them up but they are rather largeish.   

Hey Le Chuck!  I just started a build inspired by yours.  I would really like to see if you would be willing to share the art files.  Would also like to talk about your control panel and how you mocked that up.  Thanks and hope to hear from you.

rhuntervf1s

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 08:29:30 am
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2022, 01:11:39 pm »

Help Le Chuck, you are my only hope!  Would love to get ahold of your art files for my build based off what you did.  Please contact me or PM me.  I have tried to reach out. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2022, 10:02:01 pm »
Ya know.... it's been a while since we've seen Mr. Chuck. Odds are, anything you build you would need to customize those art files, like he did. So...

Here's a link to the Sideart, Kick Panels, and CPO. Hopefully that gets you going. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgbp3n909njdlug/Star%20Wars.rar?dl=0

The dude is a bit of a craftsman, and super helpful, but we have a lot of talented folks who hang out on these forums. Feel free to ask the questions and hopefully you'll get the help you need.