Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cabinet designer required for homebrew arcade game!  (Read 768 times)

GalaxyPilot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Time spent with cats is time not wasted - Einstein
    • ByteHorizon
Cabinet designer required for homebrew arcade game!
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:25:50 pm »
Hi...

I've made my own video game of sorts and I need to build a machine to surround it...
I've got the innards, the various PC components etc to get my game up & running etc but I'm a bit stuck when it comes to the design and cutting of wood etc, so I hoped one of you could take my details and cut me out a flat-pack kit I can build myself here in the UK, obviously all expenses covered by me etc, but have a look at my game... Remember Star Force? It's a bit like that but with extra bibs & bobs... I'll post some video links below so you can have a look.

Now my game runs in a vertical orientation and I've got a monitor in its end so to speak and I'll have to give you the exact dimensions of the monitor I intend to use as it's all set up ready to go... I'm tweaking my game adding various things like an auditing feature, basically I've written this game over the course of two years and rather than go ahead and release it on Steam-Greenlight or what ever I thought because it is so arcade like (Retro Future they call it... ) that I may as well make a dedicated cabinet for it and so I've got a PC and monitor and my special brew of the game and all I need is to get on with the cabinet design... I can do my own artwork and perhaps submit some design ideas but I'm stuck for the wood and cutting etc... anyway

Check the videos, if you like what you see then let me know if you can help me get this thing living and breathing in its own dedicated unit, which I will install in a popular public-house here in Brighton UK and my rough idea was make the thing typically grand and cool, illuminated buttons, nice t-molding, good side-art but a bar-top size, not full size, just enough to take the coin-mech on one side and I'll have an illuminated top-flash and a good deep bass sound system.

The game once up and running connects to the web via wifi or what-ever (which will be inside the cab) and sends the players high score off to the world database of scores for my game and players can then see who has the top score from any where in the world... groovy baby.

My game as you might of guessed is called Galaxy Pilot
VIDEO UPDATE

Hope you like it, give us a shout with any advice and help and thank you so much, such a great forum.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:46:38 pm by GalaxyPilot »
Galaxy Pilots Required - http://bytehorizon.com

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Cabinet designer required for homebrew arcade game!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:34:49 pm »
Have a look on arcade world mate.
They sell flat pack bar tops.
Richs arcades on ebay also does kits, he will prob do something custom for you.

Cool looking game btw :)

GalaxyPilot

• Offline Offline
    • ByteHorizon
Re: Cabinet designer required for homebrew arcade game!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:35:11 am »
Have a look on arcade world mate.
They sell flat pack bar tops.
Richs arcades on ebay also does kits, he will prob do something custom for you.

Cool looking game btw :)

Thanks very much, will do!

I've added a new video of a concept/idea for my game to have what a like to call 'Juno First' mode, a false perspective mode, anyway Its early days yet, I'm thinking I should make my platforms slightly more 3D when this mode is enabled and have bridges and obstacles on the platforms to avoid or just for decoration... either way Its all rather good fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq0GYbs58QA
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:43:20 am by GalaxyPilot »

GalaxyPilot

• Offline Offline
    • ByteHorizon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:04:42 pm »
I've made an update to my game which shows a new viewing feature during play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq_4bc9obIo

GalaxyPilot

• Offline Offline
    • ByteHorizon
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:25:00 am »
UPDATE : check attached for mock-up of real machine - VIDEO UPDATE
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:28:43 am by GalaxyPilot »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 03:46:36 am »
I like the artwork.

Not sure about the layout of the CP though.
Firstly depending how big the cab is you could possibly smash your button hand with your stick hand due to the short gap between them.
Secondly (and this is a personal preference thing) I always preferred rows of buttons 2x2 in your case rather than diamond grouped.
Always found that less confusing!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Present for you Grandfather...
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 04:38:12 am »
Its a rip-off of star force!

Why is there no originality anymore?

Disappointing....SAD!!!!
"I really do feel pity for those who go out of their way to perform a personal slight, than taking the effort in joining the conversation and creating some useful dialogue which would benefit the persons' perusal of this topic.  Yet where would we be without the persistant antagonist?"

GalaxyPilot

• Offline Offline
    • ByteHorizon
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 01:45:56 pm »
Its a rip-off of star force!

Why is there no originality anymore?

Disappointing....SAD!!!!

Yes that was obviously intentional on my behalf... I wasn't trying to slip a 'rip-off' past anyone as you put it..., It's a homage to my favourite game... Star Force - huzzah! but it's more than that... I used to fix arcade machines myself as many of us here have done I'm sure... but all this is really is a testament to my misspent youth in the arcades of the day..., my game has got elements from lots of different arcade games which makes it different as a stand-alone machine, they say write about what you know... make what you want to play... so I have and I actually like it... and I'm my own worst critique... anyway this is my first foray in a complete project... very easy to start a project but shittingly difficult to finish one... I'm 49 now, started programming when I was 14, still a million pounds shy of being a millionaire... anyway my magnum-opus is next... this game is my 'American Graffiti'.... you may like my next game as it'll be original... I think... anyway

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31