Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Streets of Rage - Robinson Edition" : Racing Cab Project  (Read 21909 times)

ghetoprobe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2017, 01:00:42 pm
  • SENSES FAIL
Re: "Streets of Rage - Robinson Edition" : Racing Cab Project
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2014, 08:20:36 pm »
Not a mini-joystick, though that would be kinda cool...  ;)

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2014, 08:21:09 pm »
Now, to figure out how to mount the rear speakers...  this was a tough one and I may end up changing the configuration a little bit.  I have a ton of speaker cable rolled up inside of the seat base so I've left my options open.  My original plan was to bring the speakers up next to the driver's head, but they weren't secure at all, too loud (even when turned down) and I was worried a kid would tear them off the side of the cabinet too easily. 

After a lot of testing with my wife holding the speaker in different positions behind my head (thanks honey!), keeping the speakers lower to the ground and pointed upward really seemed to be the best configuration for the time being.  In testing the 5.1 surround, the cars sounded like they were right behind you... slowly creeping up on the corners and then the screeching tires...  While not ideal, it sounds great, looks pretty good and is as integrated with the cabinet as possible - while still being sturdy enough to survive a mild kid attack.

I grabbed two 1/2" wooden dowel rods and cut them to size.  Then found some 1.125" corrugated black tubing, normally used for a washer's drain hose, to hide the speaker cable and dowel rods.  I used 3/8" black heat-shrink tubing on both ends of the speaker cable to help it blend better. 

We'll see where I end up going with them, but for now...  acceptable.

Fursphere

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:30:08 pm
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2014, 08:40:45 pm »
Both my boys - 2 and 4 - straight torture my rear speakers.  Anytime they're near the cabinet they have to crab the poles and shake them around.  Grab the speakers and twist them.  etc.    I used 1/2" conduit and a pipe bender to make my mounts (then spray painted them black).  I wanted mine at ear level - but I never tested anything else, so I can't say if it makes a difference or not?   :dunno

The only thing I want to do differently on mine is mount the rear speakers to the seat (seat base maybe?) so when the seats gets adjusted, the speakers move with it.  Integrated speakers on arcade seats is nice - if the chairs themselves weren't so damn uncomfortable. 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2014, 08:55:18 pm »
The only thing I want to do differently on mine is mount the rear speakers to the seat (seat base maybe?) so when the seats gets adjusted, the speakers move with it.

I would have to agree.  If I do end up changing the rear speaker setup I would definitely want to mount the speakers so they move as the seat is adjusted.  Gives everyone, big or small, the same racing experience.  I just need to figure out a way to keep them rigid - when they wobble around I equate that with bad craftsmanship and it would bug me for all eternity. 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2014, 08:57:41 pm »
I can't believe it, but the cabinet is practically finished...  crazy.  Here's the end-result with no DSD button box attached :

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2014, 09:24:59 pm »
Great job, my friend!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2014, 12:29:10 pm »
Thank you, yotsuya!  And thanks for your support along the way.  Still more to come with the dashboard and the PC build, but for now, I think my wife, daughter and I are going to do some racing in Gran Turismo 6.  In the next few days I hope to get some video of the cab in action.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2014, 12:30:09 pm »
DSD button box attached :

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2015, 03:14:10 am »
Wow! I just saw this build for the first time and it look great.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2017, 01:07:37 pm »
It's been a couple of years since I put any work into the racing cabinet (been finishing my basement), but I finally got around to mounting the rear speakers properly and thought I'd share a few pics.  I'm hoping to get a PC setup soon and wire the control panel buttons.  The PS3 has been working great, although, Gran Turismo 6 is pretty complicated for young party guests.  I'd really like to simplify things to be a bit more self-explanatory.  I think Hyperspin and some lit control panel buttons would do the trick.

Also, late in the build I purchased and installed a ButtKicker system - it was a waste of money for my particular setup.  Even when mounted just under the seat there isn't enough feedback.  The sub from the Z5500 does way more for the experience.  I think the ButtKicker needs to be mounted directly to the seat itself which isn't practical in this application.  I may consider placing a small 8" sub in the base of the seat, point it upward, and using the ButtKicker amp to power it. 

Thanks for looking.  I'll post another update once I get the PC, control panel and Hyperspin configured.

dramaone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2018, 03:48:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2017, 01:49:26 pm »
great job, very nice looking sit down cab