Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: It's all about pots - modding wheel for arcade & x360 use  (Read 2326 times)

jkl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2020, 10:01:58 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
It's all about pots - modding wheel for arcade & x360 use
« on: January 08, 2017, 03:56:42 pm »
Since I started my x360 pad mod I opened my wheel setup.
It was originally a madcatz mc2 Dreamcast racing wheel still working with my dc but I hijacked the pots connections to a jvs type 1also, so it's working either with the home console or the arcade setup.
It works very good.
Strange thing is that looking the pots I noticed they are 10k pots, that's really good for my current x360 pad analog hack... But I wonder why is that working with jvs also since I knew that arcade pots are often 5k.
And since my electronics-fu is very weak I wonder if using 10k pots with a jvs setup designed for 5k ones can damage something...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:16:41 pm by jkl »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
Re: It's all about pots
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »
Since I started my x360 pad mod I opened my wheel setup.
It was originally a madcatz mc2 Dreamcast racing wheel still working with my dc but I hijacked the pots connections to a jvs type 1also, so it's working either with the home console or the arcade setup.
It works very good.
Strange thing is that looking the pots I noticed they are 10k pots, that's really good for my current x360 pad analog hack... But I wonder why is that working with jvs also since I knew that arcade pots are often 5k.
And since my electronics-fu is very weak I wonder if using 10k pots with a jvs setup designed for 5k ones can damage something...
It won't hurt anything.

The interface must be measuring voltage, not resistance.  A 5k pot and a 10k pot will divide the voltage just the same.  Do in internet search for potentiometer as voltage divider to learn more.

You can't always swap pots.  A lot of the older stuff worked off measuring resistance instead.

jkl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2020, 10:01:58 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: It's all about pots
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:16:12 pm »
First of all thanks for your answer BadMouth!

Experimenting to connect my wheel to xbox360 I noticed the following (already read your thread here):
1) I can measure on original x360 stick pots 2,80Kohm, not 10k as I expected
2) If I remove the pots I can't get it working
3) Wiring my 10k pots in parallel with original ones I have triggers combined on Z-axys (I assume this is correct behaviour), but wheel (x-axys) inverted. So I'm thinking that I could add a 6-pin switch on my wheel pot to invert ground and 5v when using x360 and restoring them just like they are connected now for arcade / DC operation. Sounds it right to you?

Thanks,
JKL

PS: I edited thread title to explain a bit better its contents...