Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Power of Nostalgia and games that were only "OK"  (Read 8118 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
Re: The Power of Nostalgia and games that were only "OK"
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 03:08:56 am »
Not to take sides but I checked in a inflation calculator and it seem that while Malenko was correct how ever Howard was not completely out of the ball park as $35 in 1989 would be about 67.74 in 2016. 

I used to think Jaws for NES was a great game and very difficult. Looking back it wasn't difficult at all and does not hold up very well.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:23:15 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 04:58:43 am »
Not to take sides but I checked in a inflation calculator and it seem that while Malenko was correct how ever Howard was not completely out of the ball park as $35 in 1989 would be about 67.74 in 2016. 

I used to think Jaws for NES was a great game and very difficult. Looking back it wasn't difficult at all and does not hold up very well.

Well if he had added "adjusted for inflation" to his statement you might have a point...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2017, 07:14:13 pm »
Your right, I was just pointing out that inflation should be considered when comparing pricing from different decades.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2017, 07:45:59 pm »
N64 looked terrible then and still obviously looks terrible today.

...yea I said it.
I'm totally with you, dude.  Terrible draw distances, low frame rates, muddy visuals that had too much blur, and that terrible thumbstick.

The SNES is my all time favourite console, and I love Nintendo as a company.  But I really don't get the love for N64.

I thought I was alone.  But now I know there's at least one other. :)

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 02:58:30 am »
N64 looked terrible then and still obviously looks terrible today.

...yea I said it.
I'm totally with you, dude.  Terrible draw distances, low frame rates, muddy visuals that had too much blur, and that terrible thumbstick.

The SNES is my all time favourite console, and I love Nintendo as a company.  But I really don't get the love for N64.

I thought I was alone.  But now I know there's at least one other. :)

I think a lot of the N64 games were good examples of Nintendo nailing game play and story. Link to the past may stand up better visually then the later Ocarina of time, but both games were and still are excellent.

It's a similar story with how the Sega Saturn holds up much better visually then the PS1 or N64. This is largely do to the fact the Saturn was built to be the greatest 2D system ever made, to that point of time. The technical capabilities that made the early 3D system great looking and new are also what makes them now look out dated and sad.

Some of the N64 games are still great not because of what was, at the time of their release, technically or visually impressive tricks but despite what is now seen as dated look. Personally I would say Mario party, Smash brothers, & all the sports games are better left in the past. Start Fox64 & the Zelda games holds up well, last I checked. Mario kart 64 is somewhere in the middle.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:09:34 am by Locke141 »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2017, 11:26:06 am »
N64 was all about the native 4 player support.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:48 pm »
N64 was all about the native 4 player support.

Yeah that was a big selling point for the Console TBH, Made part play very easy.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2017, 11:36:09 am »
Mario 64 DEFINED how to make a proper 3D run & jump game.
Goldeneye was also a system seller.
*Boom*

Back to the original thread, a friend of mine swears by the rare and obscure "Roc n Rope". But I just remember it as being difficult and clunky.

NO MORE!!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 02:12:39 pm »
I waited for the inevitable fallout.  Now that it's done let me explain why I was right. 

NES games started at 30 bucks.  They could go as high as 70-80.  Final Fantasy III, I distinctly remember being 70 bucks retail. I think Metroid, the first game that I ever bought, was around 40-45.  That was the normal going rate in most areas.  if it was different where you lived I'm glad for you, but I can only go by what I paid for them retail. That is before it's adjusted for inflation btw.  I'm not referring to bargain bin titles either, you had those with every generation.  When you got to the 16 bit era, the going rate was more around 70-80.  Street Fighter II Turbo was 75 if I remember correctly. 

Rental chains didn't catch on, in rural areas like I live in at least, until the 2nd or 3rd year of the nes's nationwide release.  Even when they did, it was still a shot in the dark if you would rent a good game. 

The internet didn't exist yet (can we at least agree on that?) and the only game mag with getting, at least initially, was Nintendo Power.  They rarely gave a game a bad review because it would be hurting their own product.  We didn't know that as kids though. 

So with the internet and every schmo with a video camera doing reviews of games these days we are spoiled.  You can pick apart details all you like, but my point still holds. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2017, 03:22:55 pm »
I waited for the inevitable fallout.  Now that it's done let me explain why I was right. 
Fallout? I don't feel that rebuking your false claim with hard evidence is "Fallout"
Again, its really easy to say games were $70 when you don't have to prove it.

Here, I found an ad for a couple of SNES games at $70 NBA Hangtim, Alpha 2, and Ultimate MK3 at $70. Donkey Kong Country 3, Marvel Super Heroes:War of the Gems, and even Madden 97 were all 60.

Love this ad because its got the original donkey kong country in the SNES, DKC2 for sale with a coupon, and DKC3 full price, all on the same page. UMK3 at $70 was such an odd price point since UMK3 on Saturn was $60 and MKT on PSX was $50
citation: http://www.rsvlts.com/2016/12/01/tbt-with-the-1996-toys-r-us-video-game-catalog/

This ad is too big to embed http://www.platypuscomix.net/fpo/newspaper/31389toysrus1.JPG
but it shows ---smurfing--- Atari games for sale side by side with the NES games and nothing is over $45 let alone $70. Side note, LOVE the revolver style NES zapper. Could never sell that nowadays.

You getting price gouged at Uncle Bob's House of Video games because you didn't have a Sears or Toy's R Us within 100 miles doesnt mean that NES games were $70 or SNES games were $80. It just means YOU paid that much, not everybody.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2017, 05:56:13 pm »
Wow never knew there was a revolver blaster for the NES!

Thats cool as ---fudgesicle---!

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:57 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2017, 06:07:22 pm »
I miss the days when you only had 3 days to beat a game because it was rented.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2017, 06:18:17 pm »
Wow never knew there was a revolver blaster for the NES!

Thats cool as ---fudgesicle---!

Yeah... I had no idea!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2017, 06:33:52 pm »
God, that brings back memories.  My uncle wanted one for Wild Gunman.  We probably mail ordered it half a dozen times, just to get a voided check back months later.

Frankly I'd have to touch one before I believed they actually existed.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2017, 12:42:08 am »
Fallout? I don't feel that rebuking your false claim with hard evidence is "Fallout"
Again, its really easy to say games were $70 when you don't have to prove it.

Here, I found an ad for a couple of SNES games at $70 NBA Hangtim, Alpha 2, and Ultimate MK3 at $70. Donkey Kong Country 3, Marvel Super Heroes:War of the Gems, and even Madden 97 were all 60.

Love this ad because its got the original donkey kong country in the SNES, DKC2 for sale with a coupon, and DKC3 full price, all on the same page. UMK3 at $70 was such an odd price point since UMK3 on Saturn was $60 and MKT on PSX was $50
citation: http://www.rsvlts.com/2016/12/01/tbt-with-the-1996-toys-r-us-video-game-catalog/

This ad is too big to embed http://www.platypuscomix.net/fpo/newspaper/31389toysrus1.JPG
but it shows ---smurfing--- Atari games for sale side by side with the NES games and nothing is over $45 let alone $70. Side note, LOVE the revolver style NES zapper. Could never sell that nowadays.

You getting price gouged at Uncle Bob's House of Video games because you didn't have a Sears or Toy's R Us within 100 miles doesnt mean that NES games were $70 or SNES games were $80. It just means YOU paid that much, not everybody.

I'm talking about nes prices.  You post snes prices, which btw are around the average that I just pointed out.  Are you related to Donald Trump or something?

Just for the record, I bought my games at regular retail places like Hills, Kmart, K&B ect.  Also I don't need proof, this isn't a court hearing.  I said it was so and thus it was.  Feel free to not believe me, but I'm not wasting my time scouring the net to look up old game ads.  You have fun though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:45:31 am by Howard_Casto »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:12 am »
Are you related to Donald Trump or something?
I said it was so and thus it was.

Too easy lol. 

I'm talking about nes prices.
Final Fantasy III, I distinctly remember being 70 bucks retail.
Street Fighter II Turbo was 75 if I remember correctly. 
So you had the NES versions of Final Fantasy III and Street Fighter II Turbo?

Oh what a tangled web we weave ;)  Any fart, this thread has run its course. You mis-remembered the prices and when presented with conflicting data you chose to ignore the conflicting data and that's perfectly natural. I don't care about being right I just wanted to enlighten you as to the actual costs, its nothing personal.

I showed proof games were not $70 he can either accept he was mistaken or continue to believe that games were $70 even though they clearly were not. I'm fine with it either way.  :cheers:
^This

I fired up Platoon in an NES emulator, what a steaming pile.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:03:51 am by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.