Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2017 Free Crap Thread  (Read 49157 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
2017 Free Crap Thread
« on: January 03, 2017, 02:20:20 pm »
2016 was pretty successful, but it's time for a new thread.

The work waddle incentive program rolled 10% of my points forward, which automatically bumped me up two status levels, and I'm already sitting on $43 in Amazon.

Stay tuned...

:cheers:

smass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
Re: 2017 Free Crap Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:14:05 pm »
Maybe we should merge the dumpster dive thread with this one? lol

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 03:28:34 pm »

Ugh, the work waddle programs.  My employer gives out hundreds each year to people who pledge to stop smoking.  You can only get it if you are listed on your insurance as a smoker (there are valid reasons to NOT do this) and none of the people who get it ever actually quit.  But the still get the money.  It's basically a reward program for smoking and lying that costs the rest of us even more money on top of the hits to the cost pool they're already giving us.

:dizzy:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 04:54:13 pm »
People with families get 3 extra "family illness" days off at my company. But I don't ---smurfette--- about it, I just enjoy not having crumb catchers to pay for. Enjoy your non-diseased lungs and quit worrying about others.
%Bartop

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 05:10:51 pm »
That smoker thing, ugh.  Thanks to a data entry error, I had insurance pop up that I was a smoker and spent months fighting it (it did something ridiculous like double my monthly premium).  What amazes me is that the questionnaires don't take frequency and length of smoking into consideration - it's a "have you ever" situation.  (and I answered no anyway)

Granted, I probably managed to go through one carton's worth of Marlboro Reds in college and haven't touched the things in 20 years, but I get to lie to doctors the rest of my life about it cause if that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- shows up on my medical record again, break out the wallet and prepare to take blood tests if you want to argue it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 10:29:10 pm »
Yeah the AHCA got rid of the pre-existing condition, which is great and helps a lot of people, but insurance companies are still greedy evil sobs.  They've invented the concept of charging "unhealthy people" more to compensate.  Funny how healthy people don't get a discount though.  This crap is going to continue until we get universal health care, which we probably should have had 20 years ago. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:14:44 am »

Our provider doesn't change price based on that answer.  Smokers get charged the same as anyone else.  The incentive program is a "cost control and health improvement reward".  Practically, though, it's a discount relative to the nonsmokers.  It wouldn't bother me if they were being charged more in the first place.

Won't be long before anyone over a certain BMI is paying more, too.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:40:53 am »
Well, this derailed from free crap pretty quickly.

Yeah the AHCA got rid of the pre-existing condition, which is great and helps a lot of people, but insurance companies are still greedy evil sobs.  They've invented the concept of charging "unhealthy people" more to compensate.  Funny how healthy people don't get a discount though.  This crap is going to continue until we get universal health care, which we probably should have had 20 years ago.

It was the ACA (Affordable Care Act) that got rid of pre-existing conditions, not the AHCA (The American Health Care Association).   I'm going to bet that we will never have universal health care in this country.

Is that a bad thing?   People want universal health care, cheaper premiums, lower co-pays, etc...   But they can't be bothered to get their lazy asses off the couch and stay healthy.   They want to drink nothing but soda, eat fast food and when they end up with diabetes, they want their health care for free.   Or end up with lung cancer from smoking, or cirrhosis of the liver from drinking,  etc, etc, etc...   

I get that some people will be predisposed to certain conditions, but it's the people that stack the deck against themselves that drive me crazy.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 11:25:40 am »
I get that some people will be predisposed to certain conditions, but it's the people that stack the deck against themselves that drive me crazy.

Pretty much.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 02:52:32 pm »
Well, this derailed from free crap pretty quickly.

It was the ACA (Affordable Care Act) that got rid of pre-existing conditions, not the AHCA (The American Health Care Association).   I'm going to bet that we will never have universal health care in this country.

Is that a bad thing?   People want universal health care, cheaper premiums, lower co-pays, etc...   But they can't be bothered to get their lazy asses off the couch and stay healthy.   They want to drink nothing but soda, eat fast food and when they end up with diabetes, they want their health care for free.   Or end up with lung cancer from smoking, or cirrhosis of the liver from drinking,  etc, etc, etc...   

AHCA = affordable health care act.  Sorry I added an extra letter, but I'm well aware of most health care policies here in the States. 

Yes it's absolutely a bad thing that some people get charged more for the exact same service.  It borderlines on being unconstitutional.  The thing is the people that are typically the most unhealthy are poor people.  Poor people have a hard time regaining their health because of minor inconveniences like working themselves to the bone to keep from starving to death due to their crappy wage.  You know, because greedy idgits  don't want to increase the minimum wage.  If all men are endowed certain inalienable rights including life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness then it's just common sense that we should have universal healthcare.  If you are ill your right to life is being endangered. If you are constantly sick then it's extremely difficult to pursue happiness. 

People will absolutely abuse the system, no matter which system is in place, that's just life.  You don't punish all the good people in the world because of a few bad apples. 

You want to fix the world, look at Star Trek TNG.  On earth all the amenities are free.  You get food, shelter, ect.  If you want anything beyond that, you work.   

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 03:35:41 pm »

AHCA = affordable health care act.  Sorry I added an extra letter, but I'm well aware of most health care policies here in the States. 

AHCA = affordable health care act = wrong.

It's not called, or referred to as, the affordable health care act.... it is the affordable care act.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/affordable-care-act/

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 03:56:59 pm »
this is the free crap thread, not the costs me 10 times as much as 8 yrs ago thread.

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 04:02:51 pm »
this is the free crap thread, not the costs me 10 times as much as 8 yrs ago thread.

haha, yea this tread got super hijacked.  We need PBJ to post more of his scams to get it back on topic.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 04:58:59 pm »
Took the mental well being survey and didn't get the "Call 911" pop up this year, so I've got that going for me.  Which is nice.  2 more Amazon dollars in hand.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:05:33 pm by pbj »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 04:42:59 pm »
! No longer available

Adios Coke Rewards.  It was fun.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 04:56:53 pm »
 so do you want all these rewards I saved for you?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 05:05:00 pm »
Well, yes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 07:20:31 pm »
Well crap.  I'll tell mom.  She has a metric ton collected. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 11:16:56 am »
Walmart has the Pokemon Go Plus wristbands in stock.  Finally used that $10 gift card I hoarded from the Groupon deal on that hard drive.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 02:13:19 pm »
And.... my local Outback is gone.  Still sitting on $65 in gift cards.  :P

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 06:01:42 pm »
And.... my local Outback is gone.  Still sitting on $65 in gift cards. 
Send them to the ZapCon Eats committee, we'll put them to good use.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 01:42:24 am »
Got an apology email from Wal-Mart because that filler item Kit Kat bar came a week late.... And a $5 gift card.

:lol

Also got FitBit to replace my tracker.  Took a Better Business Bureau complaint but they hopped to.  I've killed two of their $150 trackers in 53 weeks.  Let's see how long replacement #2 lasts.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 07:17:48 pm »
Not long.  My mom gets them for "free" via her companies incentive plan and fitbits seem to only be reliable for women who aren't hard on their stuff.  My father in law had to have his replaced twice and the one I am wearing is patched together with superglue. 

Not free but pretty cheap.... Charleston's Sears, which has been in business for 30 years, is closing.  They are selling off the shelving units and such.  I got 6 massive 2'x4' glass shelves with hardware for 20 bucks.  Most of the stuff was really cheap, but their display furniture is so huge that it would be hard to fit in a normal sized room.  They are putting more on sale as they empty the shelves, so once they start selling the smaller displays in the tool section I'll pick some up.  Sadly no 2600 kiosks rotting away in a corner or anything. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 07:38:21 pm »
So, Fit Bit uses a Filipino call center, and I work alongside a Filipino.  Apparently they'll give you whatever you want if you speak Tagalog.  She landed everyone upgraded models free of charge when all their Fitbit Charge units fell apart. 

Problem is I have the more expensive Charge HR with the heart rate monitor, and they don't like coughing up replacements.  Due to the design, it's basically impossible to repair the things.  Tape covers up the sensor and I tried three types of glue and none would bond.  I think the Houston heat and humidity kills them.

Sears has been a sad place for many years.  You probably got those shelves for 0.1% of what they cost.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 09:23:13 pm »
I went through 2 fitbits. Both times the damn bands just came apart. Whodathunk using glue to hold the bands together was a bad idea? 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 09:59:44 pm »
Yeah mine's the HR and like I said, it keeps falling apart.  I just bought a 5 pack of super glue at the dollar store and I throw a dab on when the band starts to fall off again.  It's a really poor design.  If the rubber went on the underside of the sensor as well I think they would hold up better. 

Actually our Sears does good business and is extremely popular.  Things started to go a bit downhill last year when they eliminated the electronics dept.  This one is the largest in the region... three floors with a bijillion square feet per floor and an auto center across the street.  I talked to the floor manager.  He said that Sears holdings actually own the building and they are shutting it down because the property value has went up to the point of where they can make a ton just selling the building.  Forget about the people that have worked there 30 years... Sear's CEO needs a new yacht. 

It's going to be hard now.  That was our last major appliance store besides the dreaded Best Buy.  I guess we could start buying stuff at Lowes/Home Dept. but their prices are generally pretty high on that stuff. 

Anyway, I'm going to clean them out I think.  They had plexi cubbie holes... 20 for 20 dollars, some computer POS terminals that they haven't put on sale yet and all kinds of junk that I really don't need but can't pass up the huge discount. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 10:33:06 pm »
The newer ones are more like a watchband that clips to the ends of the sensor.  Apparently some of them are actually, gasp, water resistant now.  Grousing aside, they're very accurate on step counts and I've waddled my way to hundreds in Amazon gift cards.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 06:29:42 pm »
Sears was bought by Kmart in 2004, and both Kmart and Sears were smart in the early days and bought most of the property they opened stores on.  They are actually one of the biggest realty holding companies in the world.  It is really the only thing that has kept them in business for the last decade.  We had 2 big Kmarts here, one closed about a decade ago and the land was sold off, and the other closed about 8 months ago, which is about 4 acres of some of the best retail property in the city.  I am guessing that soon that area will be home to a slew of strip-mall stores (looks like the property is already sold off).  The Sears is still kicking, but when you go in you wonder how they are still in business.. The shelves are barely stocked, the place is just plain dirty, and the staff acts like they are going to close the doors any minute.  Their stock is way down this year and they are in the process of cutting a billion dollars per year in operating costs.

My dad has had the same problems with his fitbit, he is on his third and had an issue getting his first two exchanged.  He finally just bought a new one at the end of last year and when the replacement finally came in for his last one a few months later, he gave it to my mom to replace her first one that broke.  I got one for my GF at Christmas and it is still holding up, but we will see.  My brother had to replace one already, but the rest of the family has had pretty good luck with them.  Same problems - usually with the band..

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 08:31:37 pm »
Well that's the thing.  Business was still booming in this particular Sears, they regularly remodeled, ect....  I think it's the largest in the State, maybe in the tri-state area.  Word on the street is that two middle-of-the-road restaurants are going to buy it.  That mall already has an Outback and Olive Garden... we don't really need anymore cruddy places to eat.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 11:48:18 pm »

Won't be too embarrassed to hand a waiter a stack of emails addressed to pinballjim?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:50 pm »

Won't be too embarrassed to hand a waiter a stack of emails addressed to pinballjim?
For a free Bloomin' Onion? Ain't no thang.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 12:20:27 am »
Eh, I'm more of a Wendy's guy myself.  It isn't that the food sucks, it's the waiting a frikkin' hour for them to bring it out.  I'm with Yots... send them to the ZapCon guys.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 10:41:22 am »
It isn't that the food sucks...

Even though it does...
%Bartop

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 04:44:20 pm »
Their wings are fine, and $65 will get you ~80 of them. 

Send me a PM with your e-mail address, Yot, and I'll kick the gift cards your way.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 06:04:05 pm »
Their wings are fine, and $65 will get you ~80 of them. 

Send me a PM with your e-mail address, Yot, and I'll kick the gift cards your way.

Sure thing!

I promise they're going to feed out of state guests for ZapCon

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 11:44:18 am »
Still waiting on that e-mail address.....

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »
Sorry, had a second job interview today. Send good vibes my way, people, I'd really like to transition into this new position...

P.M. Sent

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:37 pm »
You're not going to be selling steak knives, are you?

Gift cards have been sent.  I expect a photo of Nephasth putting my meat in his mouth.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 05:43:31 pm »
No, it's still in education, but it's out of the regular classroom.

Thanks for the points, James. I don't know why people think you're an ---uvula---. Your shirt is on me. I'll even send you the non-tirekicker version.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »
Thanks for the points, James. I don't know why people think you're an ---uvula---.

Because of the words that come out of his mouth.   I have a similar ailment.  ;)