Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FFB motors as rumble motors.... (Update)  (Read 2474 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
FFB motors as rumble motors.... (Update)
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:42 pm »
So I've been able to use a relay hooked to an Xbox 360 controller to control a larger shaker motor from the 360 controllers rumble signals. Finding a motor big enough to shake my wheel is pretty straight forward. BUT!

I now have it in my head that I want to hook up a shaker motor large enough to shake the seat. I'm using actual cabinets with the full wooden seat base so I'm thinking I will need a pretty hefty motor for this.

So, the idea crossed my mind to use the Force Feedback motors from my happ wheels as rumble motors. Seeing as how I am not using FFB on my set up. Trouble is, they are 90v dc and I have no idea how to get a power supply that puts out 90v. Also I've never dealt with that high of a dc voltage, sounds a little scary to me.

Anyway I've looked into the shaker motors that were used in Hydro Thunder machines and they look similar to the FFB motors. I'm trying to figure this out in my head and hopefully not spend an arm and a leg on it...

Any alternative ideas would be welcome as well.

Thanks

(Update)
Here we go...

The thing practically shakes the floor. If you've ever held one of these motor you know how heavy they are. Its pretty crazy how intense the shaking is. I think it should be enough to shake the seat...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:46:36 pm by shaolindrunkard »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Just because they can handle 90v, doesn't mean you have to use 90v.

In their original use as part of a happ ffb setup, they were getting 24v.
A 24v, 6 amp power supply should be enough for one.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
What he said.  It should work fine. 

FYI this is something I'm planning to do to mine when I get the time.  I suppose I should get all the games setup first.  ;)

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
Just because they can handle 90v, doesn't mean you have to use 90v.

In their original use as part of a happ ffb setup, they were getting 24v.
A 24v, 6 amp power supply should be enough for one.

I remember reading you saying that in another thread my friend, my only concern with that is RPMs. On the motor is says 2174 rpms at 90V. Most Vibration motors seems to run around 2000 rpms. I'm assuming and correct me if I'm wrong that the motor will spin much much slower at lower voltages...

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
It's just rumble....
It shakes. 
Are you really concerned that the shaking needs to occur at the same speed as the tiny original motor?

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
Not at all its more will it be able to come up to speed for small quick rumbles like when you run over something in the road. You're right though I guess I should just try it and see. Now I just gotta track down a PS.

Thanks

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
Ordered a 48v power supply since they are readily available. Now I just have to figure out how to attach an offset weight to the motor, will update as progress comes.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
Re: FFB motors as rumble motors.... (Update)
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:47:14 pm »
Updated the first post...