Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovymame & Hypermarquee = Possible?  (Read 2700 times)

kujina

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2021, 12:07:40 pm
Groovymame & Hypermarquee = Possible?
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:00:32 pm »
Happy new year,

I have a ATI HD 5450 (CRT Emudriver) groovymame 0.171 and I have tried using groovmame along with hypermarquee but it seems when a game is launched goovymame strips all content from the second display (open windows, desktop background and hypermarquee content) except the little "Test Mode" watermark.

Anyone have any insight?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:26:14 pm by kujina »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:33 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Re: Groovymame & Hypermarquee = Possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 02:37:14 pm »
I haven't used hypermarquee but i am using groovymame and mame layout files to output a marquee to a secondary monitor on ati 4350 card.

Happy to provide some help if you get no joy with hypermarquee - i haven't used it but I'm sure someone around here might know.

kujina

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:22:32 pm »
I've played around and I've found this doesn't happen with ddraw set in the mame.ini video options but then the game (sf2 in my test) runs too fast and the resolution is squashed and odd. I've also tried using the on-board igpu for the second display output to separate it from the ATI HD 5450 but the same thing happens.

Am I right in thinking the striping of the of all screen content is something to do with CRT_EmuDriver?

markc74 I'd be interested in some pointers or a link guide about mame layout files.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 03:02:40 pm »
GroovyMAME uses full screen exclusive mode. This is required to get proper vertical synchronization with minimal lag. When using that mode, other apps can't simply draw to the screen (that's what 'exclusive' means).

Having an external app trying to mess with video while GM is working is a terrible idea. The very design of a frontend doing that should be banned or something. Not to mention killing the emulator process because i'm worth it.

If you want to render marquees on a secondary display, MAME already has a built-in way to do that. I can't remember the details but you have to play with the -view settings.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

kujina

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:24:15 pm »
GroovyMAME uses full screen exclusive mode. This is required to get proper vertical synchronization with minimal lag. When using that mode, other apps can't simply draw to the screen (that's what 'exclusive' means).

Having an external app trying to mess with video while GM is working is a terrible idea. The very design of a frontend doing that should be banned or something. Not to mention killing the emulator process because i'm worth it.

If you want to render marquees on a secondary display, MAME already has a built-in way to do that. I can't remember the details but you have to play with the -view settings.

Hi Calamity, thanks for the clarification. If I do use Mame to render marquees on a secondary display (lcd) is there any advantage to having the secondary display connected to the built-in iGPU instead of the HD5450?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 03:27:58 pm »
Hi Calamity, thanks for the clarification. If I do use Mame to render marquees on a secondary display (lcd) is there any advantage to having the secondary display connected to the built-in iGPU instead of the HD5450?

Yeah, having the HD 5450 configured as single-head will accelerate mode switching in some situations. Just make sure to point to the right screen from mame.ini, e.g. \\.\DISPLAY1, \\.\DISPLAY3, etc. (run mame with -v, read the log and you'll see the names of the displays as they're recognized by the system)
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

K-rnivoro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 11:51:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:22:25 pm »
I've done it using Hypermarquee (with Hyperspin and Event Dispatch System). CRT Emudriver 2.0 and Windows 7 x64 here.

What I'm doing is using the integrated graphics for the secondary monitor (a VGA one), so I leave the ATI card alone, only for the CRT monitor. I'm using some Asus motherboard with i3 CPU.

Another good thing, there is no flashing during resolution change in the second monitor.

I know Calamity says you can use \\DISPLAYx command for selecting monitors, but I've found selecting your CRT monitor as "primary" (\\DISPLAY1) in Windows, works OK.

Vincefaro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:25 am »
I've done it using Hypermarquee (with Hyperspin and Event Dispatch System). CRT Emudriver 2.0 and Windows 7 x64 here.

What I'm doing is using the integrated graphics for the secondary monitor (a VGA one), so I leave the ATI card alone, only for the CRT monitor. I'm using some Asus motherboard with i3 CPU.

Another good thing, there is no flashing during resolution change in the second monitor.

I know Calamity says you can use \\DISPLAYx command for selecting monitors, but I've found selecting your CRT monitor as "primary" (\\DISPLAY1) in Windows, works OK.
Hi I am trying to do the same setup as you have . Windows 7 , ATI 4550 and I am running HS , with Groovymame on a 27 CRT , with a 26 LCD for my Marquee using EDS and HM . I have been using my ATI card for both monitors but when I run Groovymame in HS the game goes to the LCD monitor and not my main CRT . It does not do this running Daphne or other emulators . I do have an integrated graphics card . Should I use that for my marquee monitor ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk