Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Speechless.  (Read 11900 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Speechless.
« on: December 27, 2016, 02:46:54 pm »
I.  Can't. Even.  Hardly.

http://moosegaming.com/mame-cabinet-archayde/

You could land an airplane on  that panel.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
Re: Speechless.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »
Perhaps it's a tribute to this classic from long ago....
http://www.wickedretarded.com/~crapmame/4.html

Squint as I may, I can't tell if they angled the joysticks.
They don't get my full rage until they angle the joysticks.

EDIT: a couple pics preserved for posterity
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:03:16 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:24:25 pm »
Judging from his coffee table project, he doesn't know not to angle the P3 & P4 sticks, so I'm assuming they're angled on the front porch as well.

For educational purposes (green=good, red=bad noob mistake):

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:49:47 pm »
Remember that time when I suggested we have a section to make fun of crappy cabs and everyone had a hissy fit?  Yeah good times, but as usual, I was right.  You guys do it anyway, you just like to pretend that you don't. 

Anyway....

Apparently this guy is too dumb to know that you don't drill holes in good furniture.  This is 2016 and real wood furniture is expensive.  Go get a crappy ikea table if you are going to butcher it.

Honestly, as bad as the control panel is, at least it was constructed and finished well.  The control panel could be scrapped and the cab salvaged with a cp redesign.  -100 points for mixing the awesomeness of Mortal Kombat with the lameness of DBZ.   

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »
Remember that time when I suggested we have a section to make fun of crappy cabs and everyone had a hissy fit?  Yeah good times, but as usual, I was right.  You guys do it anyway, you just like to pretend that you don't. 
I get yelled at anytime I don't suck the OP's dick no matter how ---smurfy--- the cab is. Gold stars for everybody!

I'll all for a crapMAME-esque section , I'll even post my first MAME cab in there to get roasted.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 04:22:21 pm »
choice of words gentlemen, it's the choice of words....

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 06:43:02 pm »
Holy shiz bats thats HUGE!

Bet that cab dont get moved around easy lol

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 06:50:07 pm »
Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 07:40:59 pm »
Thread crapping on someones projects posted in Project Announcement is not keeping with the spirit of this site and a dick move.

I happen to think posting a cabinet for public ridicule is also a bad move, but as long as it's not in someones project announcement thread, it seems to be allowed.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 08:29:47 pm »
I now know how to join two projects together.  One is my N scale train layout, and my stargate control panel restoration.

Thank you BYOAC!  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 08:29:49 pm »
Thread crapping on someones projects posted in Project Announcement is not keeping with the spirit of this site and a dick move.

I happen to think posting a cabinet for public ridicule is also a bad move, but as long as it's not in someones project announcement thread, it seems to be allowed.
What if that "project thread" is just a post of the finished result without an actual build log? 
I mean, there are a few recent ones that popped up that deserve to get ripped into. I mean, they're not actually project threads and more like project show-n-tell.

You can always tell the these type of abominations are the ones people build without taking any advice and just post the results as if their crap is gold and we should "S their D's" (as Mal eloquently put it :lol ).

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 11:54:41 pm »
I look at it this way.  Smoking in the US is at an all time low.  Why?  Because of shame.  Via marketing and social engineering we are slowly but surely eliminating the cancerous threat that is smoking  just by making people feel embarrassed about their bad habit.  Shaming people might be bad, but if you are doing it for the right reasons it's ok.  If you make fun of a bad cab, others will realize not to do it, and thus they build a better cab and have more fun with it.  It's also fun for me to make fun of hilariously bad designs, so it's a win-win. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:18:31 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 12:01:23 am »
Eh, that's questionable.  It really started dropping off after the surgeon general report, and it was never as socially acceptable afterwards as we remember it being.  Now everyone lives 5 years longer and dies of Alzheimer's. 

:dunno

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 12:11:13 am »
What if that "project thread" is ...

What if the builder has an extremely limited budget?
What if the builder is mentally challenged?
What if the build is as good as it's going to get for some reason we don't even know?
Odds are slim all the details are available before someone goes off on a shaming rampage and ends up looking like an ass. What would happen eventually is a few loudmouth trolls would run all the newbies out and only correctly built cabs threads would exist. How boring would it be here then? If someone wants to name their cabinet with a "Cade" name, theme it after a console game, or whatever else - it's their project. If they post it in Project Announcements then we, as the Arcade Controls community, should be respectful of their decisions. If someone asks for their advice during the planning phase - cool, provide advice, but I've seen guys get pounced after it's built. Lame. 

I don't trust people will know when they are crossing a line, and who are we to crap a project announcement with our opinions of what we think is right. What's wrong with the "if you ain't got nothing nice to say, then don't say it" rule?

And educating people via shaming is a good option.... for things like smoking, or vaccinating your kids but it's a bit of a stretch to think that technique is required for someone who wants to angle their p3 and p4 joysticks. I don't think any lives are on the line when Joe Blow builds a angled joystick "GAME-CADE" for his basement.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 12:15:49 am »
You are obviously in the wrong forum then.  We take our stupid pointless hobby quite seriously thankyouverymuch. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 05:24:31 am »
What if that "project thread" is ...

What if the build is as good as it's going to get for some reason we don't even know?
Odds are slim all the details are available before someone goes off on a shaming rampage and ends up looking like an ass. What would happen eventually is a few loudmouth trolls would run all the newbies out and only correctly built cabs threads would exist. How boring would it be here then? If someone wants to name their cabinet with a "Cade" nasme, theme it after a console game, or whatever else - it's their project. If they post it in Project Announcements then we, as the Arcade Controls community, should be respectful of their decisions. If someone asks for their advice during the planning phase - cool, provide advice, but I've seen guys get pounced after it's built. Lame. 

I don't trust people will know when they are crossing a line, and who are we to crap a project announcement with our opinions of what we think is right. What's wrong with the "if you ain't got nothing nice to say, then don't say it" rule?

And educating people via shaming is a good option.... for things like smoking, or vaccinating your kids but it's a bit of a stretch to think that technique is required for someone who wants to angle their p3 and p4 joysticks. I don't think any lives are on the line when Joe Blow builds a angled joystick "GAME-CADE" for his basement.

Yeah take that ideology over to the KLOV forums, and see what you get.  Especially with a ladybug cabinet.   That will get them foaming at fhe mouth.   :o
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:12:39 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 07:19:15 am »
Nothing good comes out of the mutual admiration society. If I think something is bad I am going to express that. If people can't put on their big boy pants and handle criticism, the internet is not the place for them. A few negative comments about an arcade cabinet are nothing compared to the vile garbage posted elsewhere on the internet.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 08:44:29 am »
You can't take one-offs and pretend they are the standard.

Not sure anyone has been made fun of for not spending a lot of money on a cab, it's usually the opposite. Some dickbag comes in bragging about spending $5,000 on a cab most of us could have done for a few hundred. X2 is the forum psychologist to let us know who is mentally deficient, so I dont see that being an issue either.

Feeding the echo chamber is just as bad as participation trophies, if every rub irritates you how will you ever get polished?

In no way am I saying we all go hand bananas and just ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- all over every cab thread, but let's at least be able to say "that coin door is too low" without all the bleeding hearts defending the coin door location because "it's the OPs cab and he can put it where he wants!" 

As for a roasting section, it could be voluntary , like r/roastme

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 10:11:37 am »
Complaining about the circle jerking has become the new circle jerking.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 10:44:03 am »
Nothing good comes out of the mutual admiration society. If I think something is bad I am going to express that. If people can't put on their big boy pants and handle criticism, the internet is not the place for them. A few negative comments about an arcade cabinet are nothing compared to the vile garbage posted elsewhere on the internet.

It's the ridicule and mocking in the Project Announcements forum that's a dick move. I never said anything about the other forums. Why would you, or anyone, even take the time to criticize someone who's actually built something? There was a time a bunch of n00bs, who never even built their first arcade was on here forcing their advice on everyone. Yeah, that was fun.

And I'm not saying we should heap praise on every project in project announcement, but why would anyone post a criticism after the cabinet is built or when the OP is dead set on an idea? Everyone has opinions. I don't like admin buttons, keyboard drawers, or frankenpanels, but I'm not in everyones threads telling them how to build there cabs. I know this but it sounds like some of you are new to this: no one really cares too much about your opinion. If they ask for advice in their project announcement, fine. If they are making what you consider to be a universally understood bad mistake - a friendly suggestion is fine. Ridicule and shaming - not good.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 10:59:05 am »
For someone who doesn't care about my opinion, you sure seem to care about my opinion.  :dunno

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 11:07:27 am »
What would happen eventually is a few loudmouth trolls would run all the newbies out and only correctly built cabs threads would exist. How boring would it be here then?

I think this is already happening.  This forum is getting pretty dead.

It's the ridicule and mocking in the Project Announcements forum that's a dick move. I never said anything about the other forums. Why would you, or anyone, even take the time to criticize someone who's actually built something? There was a time a bunch of n00bs, who never even built their first arcade was on here forcing their advice on everyone. Yeah, that was fun.

And I'm not saying we should heap praise on every project in project announcement, but why would anyone post a criticism after the cabinet is built or when the OP is dead set on an idea? Everyone has opinions. I don't like admin buttons, keyboard drawers, or frankenpanels, but I'm not in everyones threads telling them how to build there cabs. I know this but it sounds like some of you are new to this: no one really cares too much about your opinion. If they ask for advice in their project announcement, fine. If they are making what you consider to be a universally understood bad mistake - a friendly suggestion is fine. Ridicule and shaming - not good.

Well said Lew.   :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 11:24:06 am »
It's the ridicule and mocking in the Project Announcements forum that's a dick move.
You are going to have to link me to some examples, aka citation needed.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 11:25:51 am »
Ya know ime pretty new here and  dont see a problem with the way things are.
Every forum has its "characters" its what makes them unique.

Older members will remember times maybe better or worse than now.

But after moderating another forum for longer than I care to remember I learned forums change much like any of community.
Its the members that make it what it is and without those core members you have nothing.

Many people have opinions on many things thats what makes us  unique and forums interesting.

I honestly never got the whole angled joystick thing.
I mean if I am stood against a flat edge I expect to push the stick forward for up.
Up and left to match the direction of the screen is illogical to me.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 11:26:47 am »
I think this is already happening.  This forum is getting pretty dead.

Hobby peaked a few years back.  At this point, nobody 30 or below ever spent any time in arcades growing up, and everyone can easily emulate this crap on their phone. 

Give it another 10 years when some of you start croaking from heart attacks and it'll get even slower around here.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 11:39:57 am »
I honestly never got the whole angled joystick thing.
I mean if I am stood against a flat edge I expect to push the stick forward for up.
Up and left to match the direction of the screen is illogical to me.

That's why it's so prevalent.  It makes no logical sense until you know the results of real world testing.
It's how one would expect it to work unless they weren't familiar with real 4 player arcade machines.
Then once they are familiar with the original machines, the question becomes "why was it done that way on nearly all the old machines?"

So someone not experienced with real arcade machines decides to make a 4 player panel. 
They look at examples from google image searches.  They look at crazy expensive examples on ebay.
Neither leads them to think twice about the angle of P3 and P4 sticks, so they proceed as they planned.
That doesn't make them stupid.

Now if they come to this forum to look at examples....hopefully they'll see the issue pointed out and do some more research.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 11:44:16 am »
Thats the thing though.
Even knowing the reasons behind it I still dont get it :p

In my mind its like playing 4 player Goldeneye on the N64 with 3 buddies.
Theres always 2 people sat at angles to the TV and yet the controllers are all the same.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 11:47:17 am »
Thats the thing though.

Theres always 2 people sat at angles to the TV and yet the controllers are all the same.

You never noticed them holding the controllers sideways, parallel with the TV when ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- got real?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 11:48:52 am »
Thats the thing though.

You never noticed them holding the controllers sideways, parallel with the TV when ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- got real?

Nope, because that would be awfully uncomfortable lol

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:02 am »

lol wut.  Nobody did that.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 11:51:04 am »
I am pretty new and I haven't seen much that I would consider over the line. This is one of the more helpful and accessible forums I have seen. People have strong opinions. Life is tough, wear a helmet.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 01:36:42 pm »
Thats the thing though.
Even knowing the reasons behind it I still dont get it

This happens ALL THE TIME. Subconsciously, most of it.

I don't even bother giving build feedback/advice anymore, for various reasons. My Mantra is "Build what you dig."

The only cabinets I'll even criticize would be ones that are put up for sale. If they're built and people expect money for them, then I think they're fair game.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 01:43:30 pm »
Thats the thing though.

I don't even bother giving build feedback/advice anymore, for various reasons. My Mantra is "Build what you dig."

The only cabinets I'll even criticize would be ones that are put up for sale. If they're built and people expect money for them, then I think they're fair game.

Ya know this almost makes me want to dig out my 64 and invite some mates over for a experiment LOL

But I doubt anyone ever holds a 64 controller sideways, It would be very awkward!!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 01:48:24 pm »
Thats the thing though.

Ya know this almost makes me want to dig out my 64 and invite some mates over for a experiment LOL

But I doubt anyone ever holds a 64 controller sideways, It would be very awkward!!
You don't hold it sideways the whole time you're playing, Cletus. But watch what happens when the action gets heavy and you need a character to go to certain way. It's instinct. You start to move the controller to make the character go the way you wanted to go. That's a difference between something you sit there with sitting at an angle holding it in your hand that you can move at will, and a large unmovable control panel.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 03:05:38 pm »

eh if you have anything with 4 controllers, just use that.
This is an experiment I'd like to see.

I'd also like to see identical 4 player cabinets put on location somewhere and see if people react differently to the one with angled sticks vs straight ones.  I guess you would go by how long they bothered playing before losing interest.

I'd like to see it, but can't say I have the time, money, or motivation to actually conduct it.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2016, 03:12:16 pm »
almost 10 years ago we had this same discussion: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,63423.0.html

It's been nice knowing some of you ---daisies--- this long.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 04:05:14 pm »
almost 10 years ago we had this same discussion: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,63423.0.html

literally no one in that thread from this thread....except you.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 04:31:39 pm »

literally no one in that thread from this thread....except you.

I didn't realize you were taking it literally.

By "you", I meant (1) the arcade crowd in general and (2) the people in the thread I linked to that are still members here whether or not they are actually participating in this particular thread.

I had a moment of nostalgia reading 10 year old posts.... ok, not really 10 years old - more like 9 years 11 months old or so...

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 04:57:13 pm »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 05:06:23 pm »
Thought you meant members like me that were around back then and still are , were in that thread. Didn't see any other way to take it, and I only thought that cause you told the people of this thread it's been nice knowing them this long :) 

The cab in the thread you linked to deserved ridicule. Unfinished,  bad craftsmanship , and asking a premium for a pile of garbage.

I still love ya lew  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:06:35 pm by Malenko »