Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Maximus stopped saving lists!  (Read 4958 times)

bmuse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2018, 09:44:09 pm
Maximus stopped saving lists!
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:04:41 am »
Hi all,

Recently after running a complete scan with CLRMAMEPRO, I launched Maximus to add games to my lists. MA scanned the new ROMs and seems to work fine. My previous lists were still there. But when I try to add games to any of my custom lists or the Favorites list, nothing is saved.

I select a ROM, press 6, arrow to the list I want, and press Enter. If I then cycle through the lists, I can see the games I've added. But -- if I open Preferences (ctrl-p) or quit Maximus, none of the changes are saved.

I tried creating empty lists within MA to test. It will save the new empty lists. But when I try adding games, the lists aren't saved. (The timestamps on the .lst files don't change from when the lists were created.)

I have tried deleting the lists (including the default Favorites), deleting and reinstalling Maximus, and nothing has worked.

I don't get any script error, or any error message at all. The lists/folders are not read-only (as evidenced by being able to create new lists within MA.)

I have been able to use lists within MA previously, which is how the custom lists got populated in the first place. I don't know how a CLRMAMEPRO scan would make any difference, so I can't imagine it's connected, it's just the only thing that's changed and the MA lists stopped working right after I ran it.

Any advice or ideas will be much appreciated!
B
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:12:51 pm by bmuse »

bmuse

• Offline Offline
Re: Maximus stopped saving lists!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 05:05:51 pm »
A bit more odd detail...

Within MA Preferences, my new lists show 0 items, and the main "Games" list shows 28478.

But in MA's default.ini under [MAME], I see this:

- FavoriteSelect=1
- FavoriteNum=["Games": 83, "Favorites": 1, "TEST": 1

I launched MA and added 5 games to the TEST list. They appeared there. I quit MA. The default.ini timestamp updated to the minute I quit the frontend.

But -- in FavoriteNum=, the default "Games" list now showed 90, and the others remained at 1.   ???

Relaunched MA, and none of the lists changed -- within the frontend, Favorites and TEST are still empty, and within the Game Lists Prefs, they show 0 items.

I have no idea what to make of this.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:25:06 pm by bmuse »

bmuse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 05:23:58 pm »
One more test -- within MA's Preferences, I imported an old list into the new TEST list, which was empty. Saved the list.

Launched Maximus. The TEST list now has all the imported games. But if I add a game to the list, it still doesn't save.

So -- importing a list "sticks," but it won't save lists that are modified within the frontend.

I will be SUPER grateful for any help.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:06:32 pm by bmuse »

VinDoes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2021, 11:11:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:30:37 pm »
Hey bmuse,

I'm having the exact same problem. Spent hours now searching for a solution. Could you solve the problem by now?

It's like you said, MA "stopped" saving new added games to my created list (181 games). The strange thing is that it worked before, to create the list in the first place! I changed nothing in my System ...

I've lost the "adding/sorting-work" of hours.

Thank you for any hint! I'm really desperate...

cheers from Munich

BadRap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2017, 03:19:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 03:44:45 pm »
Yeah... I'm having the same problem.

I thought the favorites.lst file was accidentally set to read-only... nope. 

Then like a fool I opened the .lst file in notepad and saved it... that apparently corrupted the file and I lost the whole favorites list... nope

I tried creating a new list "My Favorites" thinking a new list name would solve the problem... nope

I trashed my maximus folder (2.10) and did a fresh install... somehow it saved one favorite and then back to the same problem... nope

I deactivated my antivirus software (Kasparsky Total Protection) which I just upgraded over the winter break... nope.

Trying to deduce... the only other thing I can think of is that I restored windows from a backup image (Macrium Reflect) when the usb chip/drivers on my motherboard appeared to be trashed and I replaced it with a pci express usb card over winter break.  Windows just kept detecting/detaching all usb devices... so a restore seemed the safest bet in case some system files were damaged as a result.  Cheap motherboard I guess.

I didn't notice the problem until about a month later when I noticed newly saved favorites not really saving.

The maximus arcade activation is still valid (the program works completely otherwise), but I'm wondering if the license activation has something to do with it?  I can't seem to find a way to revoke the license and re-enter the key.   Anyway that's pretty much the only thing I can think of?

Then again... it did manage to save 1 favorite to my new list before it stopped again... so maybe it is the antivirus.

Did either of you guys recently restore your operating system from a backup image or change antivirus applications to Kasparsky Total Protection???

This really is quite strange.  I think the only way to solve this is to see if there are any commonalities to what we did to our computers before the problem appeared.

BadRap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2017, 03:19:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:34:02 pm »
Well it took a lot of frustration and banging my head against the wall, but I finally figured out a solution!!!

Here are the precise steps I took:

1)   Completely delete your Maximus Arcade installation directory.
2)   Delete the Maximus Arcade 2.10 installer from your download directory
3)   Go to your email and locate the email with your Maximus Arcade license code
4)   Delete the email and empty your Trash Bin
5)   Download and install... LaunchBox
6)   Enjoy using a frontend that is currently supported by developers who respond to and fix bugs
7)   Optional:  Never speak the words “Maximus Arcade” again

Like I said, it was pretty frustrating, but the problem is now permanently resolved for me.

Hope this works for you guys too!

bmuse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 11:19:18 am »
Hi -- I actually did solve this, and thought I had posted back, but clearly I never followed through. My apologies!

For me, the solution was to make the "Games" list (the default with all games) first in the list sequence.

I had moved it to the bottom in Preferences, so that MA opened with my Favorites list, then another list was second, and Games was last. Moving Games to the top solved it, and now I am able to save to lists from within the frontend.

Hope this is helpful -- sounds like BadRap has solved it permanently as well.  :)

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 12:52:34 pm »
I have experienced a sort of similar issue with favorites lists.  Only on my Windows 10 machine - randomly when I boot up maximus and all my settings will be gone - back to default settings.  I then have to go in and re-do all settings including creating new favorites lists and importing my old ones. 

I recently upgraded my PC and the new one uses Windows 7 - and this problem does not appear to happen anymore.  I am going to re-commission the old PC with windows 10 into a new project so it would still be nice to have a solution - or I suppose I could just downgrade that computer to Windows 7...

Its a shame as I love maximus for its simplicity.