Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SOLVED: AVI videos in Windows 10 opening in popup ActiveMovie window  (Read 8190 times)

bmuse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2018, 09:44:09 pm
Hi all,

I've converted my videos to AVI, and added .avi in the Scan preferences. Maximus does see the videos -- but instead of playing in the same area where the snaps are, it pops up the ActiveMovie window (quite oversized) and I hear the audio, but there is no picture.

I'm on Windows 10.

I've Googled of course, but it seems this could be caused by (1) codecs, (2) a DirectX issue, or any number of app-specific technical problems with a video player not calling/initializing a UI.

Has anyone else seen this and fixed it?

Thanks for any advice!
B
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:00:33 pm by bmuse »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:01 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: AVI videos in Windows 10 opening in popup ActiveMovie window w/ no picture
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:41:57 pm »
codec. the extentions say AVI but they are not true AVI and usually a compressed mp4 derivative (that's why you get audio but no video)

https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_full.htm

install k-lite codec "full" pack. Don't worry about the players and all that junk, just the codecs will do.

should fix you right up.

bmuse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 12:52:55 pm »
Thanks for the instant reply, and the link!

Downloaded and installed. I see the video now -- but it still opens in a popup ActiveMovie window, and is way oversized.

How do I prevent that, and have it play in the correct location within Maximus? Any suggestions?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:01 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:54:09 pm »
sorry, I have no experience with maximus.

check back, I'm sure someone will respond. it may take some time... people are pretty busy with the holidays.

if you do find the issue on your own or someplace else, be sure to post back the fix here so that anyone else with this issue can find out how to fix it.

bmuse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 03:59:51 pm »
I was just coming back to post the fix!

Codec Tweak was installed with the K-Lite package. I went into Codec Tweak and enabled several of the unchecked fixes, like re-registering DirectShow associations. That did it!

Thanks again for your responses, and happy holidays!

B