Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee 2005 not booting - White screen  (Read 13382 times)

lunatics

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2018, 06:13:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Golden Tee 2005 not booting - White screen
« on: December 23, 2016, 09:15:08 am »

Hey guys looking for some advice from people more experienced in this stuff. A friend of mine came into possession of this machine a few years ago and it had issues from the start. It used to work for us sporadically but it would not last longer than a game and sometimes shut off mid game or not boot up at all for us. It would typically shut off or go to a black screen with yellow text that iirc would say something along the lines of not receiving enough power. The machine has sat idle in my friends garage the past year and after getting back into arcade games it has resparked our interest in fixing this up and restoring it. Now when we attempt to turn it on all it does is power up and go to a white screen as pictured in the post and will not do anything past that.

Have people seen similar things with these machines? With the previous error we used to get is it definitely a power supply issue? Is it possible it could be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere as it began having us this white screen after moving it to a new house when we previously used to get error messages.

I have plenty of computer ATX power supplies sitting around, is there some way for me to connect one of these to the machine to try and turn it on or but an adapter before going out and spending too much money on a power supply that may not solve the issues?

On a side note if it ends up being more than a power supply or too much to restore it, would it be possible to convert it into a mame machine or anything and add joysticks for other games and keep the track ball or replace it with other parts?

Lastly how much is a functioning machine like this worth in decent condition? Is the CRT screen in it possibly worth something? If we cannot repair this is it with considering trying to salvage the screen to build my own mame or arcade cabinet?

Really hoping to get this thing functioning again and fixing it up so I am hoping some people can provide some answers to my wall of text. Also best way to repair a trackball that does not seem to spin as well anymore as it used to? WD40? Take it apart? Just buy a new trackball and swap it out? (Is it as easy as that?)

I had posted this over on reddit looking for advice and they recommended I try here. One user mentioned if the PSU in it is legit it may have a voltage adjusting knob on it which can potentially fix the issue, is this true? I will be trying to see if I can take a look at that this afternoon.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: Golden Tee 2005 not booting - White screen
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 03:42:35 pm »
as a rule
there is a 5volt adjustment shaft on the power supply unit
when it did work and bark at u the voltage was low, it was your first clue to tweak up the control
now with it sitting for so long,what i would do is leave it powered off and swing that control full 1 way then the other about 6-10 times (this cleans it some what),then i would set it at mid point (if u do not have a meter?),then i would boot the full game
at this point u have 3 leds on the board 2-x-green
1-x-red
the greens are your status 1 and 2 (they blink at all times)
then the red light is your ide (harddrive) it blinks once on boot then when the hard drive is being used.
if they are stuck on/off? it is safe to say the board is not booting
CHK THE POWER SUPPLY FIRST
get back to me
i will explain the stifness in youir trackball

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 06:14:37 pm »
Hey we I was reading some of your posts about Golden tee while at work so I already had an idea about the LEDs and took a look at that first.
http://m.imgur.com/7x6eg2m,1v56T8D,x7GG5AP,bg2O3ig,O2S1ZZe

Here is an album with a few more pictures I took. The green LED above the red one blink, but the top mostgreen led and red stay solid so I thought it seemed like the board was not booting as you have e posted in other threads.

Someone mentioned the voltage adjuster and I was looking for more of a knob and did not really see anything that looked adjustable but I will go back now and loom for more of a lever I can push up and down. At the time we started having issues I did not know anything about these machines or where to go for information online at the time so I would never have known that that existed.

I will go back and take a look at the PSU again and give you further updates thank you.

Okay, so I had a chance to try and mess around with the voltage a little bit. What I thought was the red ide LED is actually not. Initially the machine would power up and have 1 blinking led and 1 solid green then a solid red below the blinking green. I then tried lowering the voltage and turned it on and another red LED lit up and the first one went off, the new one said ide activity and SAT solid red with 1 solid green and the other stopped blinking. I raised the voltage a little bit and then when I turned it on the ide light did not come up but instead where the first LED lit up, there was now a second next to it. Here are some pictures to try and help display the LEDs I am talking about. http://m.imgur.com/OZQbPNT,F0cGMPF

I hear the hard drive spin up and can feel it if I touch it but i think you may be right about the board not booting. When I lower the voltage the machine is extremely quiet and the fan barely spins and the HDD led comes on but does not sound like it is spinning up.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:55:40 pm by lunatics »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 07:55:14 pm »
the 2 green ones u see are statu1 and status 2 leds
the 2 reds u see are your modem leds
the red 1 i need to see is over by the jamma input connector (ide led=red)
now that u have found the control try working it a few more times
worest case is the harddrive failed..what revesion is your egale boot rom (u15)  ?

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:08:26 pm »
the 2 green ones u see are statu1 and status 2 leds
the 2 reds u see are your modem leds
the red 1 i need to see is over by the jamma input connector (ide led=red)
now that u have found the control try working it a few more times
worest case is the harddrive failed..what revesion is your egale boot rom (u15)  ?

ed
U15 says Golf Fore v1.06. I have a fair amount of experience building PC's and working on them and the HDD is not clicking or making any noises it sounds good but that doesn't mean it doesn't have bad sectors. If I can find an ide to SATA adapter or something and hook it to a PC and run a program like MHDD and try to test for bad sectors and remap the drive? Like I said it is definitely powering up and spinning but not getting any activity from the led and the monitor is just solid white.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 08:17:56 pm »
the reason i asked about the boot rom rev is unless it is a egale 2.09 u can not through any harddrive in it willy nilly
(the boot size is rev locked) in any boot rom under rev 2.09
now what u can do is remove the harddrive and use (personal pre here to do it) mini partition magic (free)
and just scan it on a usb adapter, what i want to see if there is errors..if there is the drive is scrapped
now if u have a blank 27c8000 and a eprom programer ? i can upload egale 2.09 for u and u can burn a new egale rom
this is olny needed if u do not have a 8-10 meg ide laying around ?
i do believe that is the boot size lock for egale 1.5-7
and then i can up-load gt-2005 for u then all u will need to do is load the .chd file
unless u want it as a .img ?

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 09:14:59 pm »
the reason i asked about the boot rom rev is unless it is a egale 2.09 u can not through any harddrive in it willy nilly
(the boot size is rev locked) in any boot rom under rev 2.09
now what u can do is remove the harddrive and use (personal pre here to do it) mini partition magic (free)
and just scan it on a usb adapter, what i want to see if there is errors..if there is the drive is scrapped
now if u have a blank 27c8000 and a eprom programer ? i can upload egale 2.09 for u and u can burn a new egale rom
this is olny needed if u do not have a 8-10 meg ide laying around ?
i do believe that is the boot size lock for egale 1.5-7
and then i can up-load gt-2005 for u then all u will need to do is load the .chd file
unless u want it as a .img ?

ed
I do not have an EPROM programmer or chips or anything and wouldn't know where to get one or if I know anyone with one.

As far as hard drives go, if I do not still have any ide drives around my house I should still be able to get my hands on one through work or somewhere. I know I wouldn't be able to get one that small I'm assuming bigger will still work and just waste the extra space? Will a laptop 2.5" ide drive work if it's all I can find?

I have SATA to USB adapters but not an IDE one on hand so unfortunately there may be nothing else I can try and do tonight but I will reach out to some people. As soon as I get one I will pull the drive and try to scan it, hopefully that is the issue then?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 09:45:55 pm »
fair enough
just rember anything u want to to it over its locked drive size,u will need to change the boot rom
which btw a few other dealers (usa) side sell for 25.00 so it is a worth while investment
this way u are not drive locked

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 10:34:58 pm »
fair enough
just rember anything u want to to it over its locked drive size,u will need to change the boot rom
which btw a few other dealers (usa) side sell for 25.00 so it is a worth while investment
this way u are not drive locked

ed
So from what's going on you think it's going to be related to the HDD?  I don't know if there is anything else I can look at or test of the machine tonight. My friends are stuck on the previous power issues we had and think that has to be the issue but the lack of ide activity is bothering me. My friend tried using a voltage sensor but it was old and may not even be working properly and does not detect actual voltages, but it was not lighting up when trying to test the power supply so my friend insists it's not putting out power despite the fact that the monitor and hard drive and everything powers up but the LEDs show that it's not booting but it seems to be getting power but I don't have a meter to check the actual voltages.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 11:12:53 pm »
a meter is very handy to chk for +5 and +12 (the olny 2 voltages the board works with ) (power input wise)
the 5 is dropped to 3.3 but if that was not working , then u would not have status1` led
there is NO onboard thermo switch
the complete break down of the full chain is in my post on these matters.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149430.0.html
just about covers the full thing
what u never did tell me but and i did asume
the harddrive is pluged into both power and the motherboard (ide) correct ?

power
if u are getting 12volts and 5 volts at the board (use the ide power plug for the test)
then the board should boot,if not then do as i suggested and carry on golfing

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 11:29:19 pm »
Yes the 4 pin molex connector is plugged into the board and the HDD and IDE cable as well, I also tried swapping ide ports. I will attempt to get my hands on a better meter and test at the board from the 4 pin as we were not doing that and I will read your post you linked.

Out of curiosity would this power supply be compatible with my machine? For 25 bucks or so if that's what it costs I'd be interested in replacing it just for the sake of trying it and because of our previous issues and try that as well.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 11:50:37 pm »
my advice on the oringal eq power supply
would be to remove inspect and replace filter caps and the voltage control (shaft u turn) and the fan (if there is 1 ? )
and keep and use it..reason is they are 1 of the most robust power supplys around
peter chow even stole there design to make his famous power supply
that said u can sub in just about any 25.00 dollar psu u want +5 +12 is +5 +12 all day long
---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- u can even use a old computer power supply
just on the computer power supply short green to ground (power good line) and bam u have a ready handy dandy +5 +12
volt supply
just tag the ground +5 +12v to your jamma interface plug (red/blackyellow)
and if the board is going to boot it will
then with a computer power supply u already have the power plug for the hardrive
it is a fast and dirty way to do it..and i can see eyes rolling in there heads now..and ppl going stfu ed
but it is what it is

ed

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2023, 12:53:29 pm
  • GT newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 01:29:30 pm »
Your white screen issue will not be hard drive related. Another thing to try is unplugging the short video card cable from the board and plug in a pc LCD monitor straight to the video card and see if you get anything on the LCD screen?

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 07:17:51 pm »
my advice on the oringal eq power supply
would be to remove inspect and replace filter caps and the voltage control (shaft u turn) and the fan (if there is 1 ? )
and keep and use it..reason is they are 1 of the most robust power supplys around
peter chow even stole there design to make his famous power supply
that said u can sub in just about any 25.00 dollar psu u want +5 +12 is +5 +12 all day long
---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- u can even use a old computer power supply
just on the computer power supply short green to ground (power good line) and bam u have a ready handy dandy +5 +12
volt supply
just tag the ground +5 +12v to your jamma interface plug (red/blackyellow)
and if the board is going to boot it will
then with a computer power supply u already have the power plug for the hardrive
it is a fast and dirty way to do it..and i can see eyes rolling in there heads now..and ppl going stfu ed
but it is what it is

ed

Okay, so here is my update. I got an IDE to USB adapter from someone today to use. I hook the drive up to my laptop and scan it with partition wizard doing a surface scan which is the only scan option I saw and assuming that's what you meant to test for bad sectors. That finishes fine with no errors on the drive so I do not think the drive itself is bad. However it is a 20gb HDD and the more I look at this machine the more I think it;s not actually a GT machine and was re purposed or made from scratch.

At this point aside from the PSU I do not know what else to try. When I unplug the small gray video cable going from the main board to the video card, I plug in a VGA cable to the video card (the ssmall card sticking out of the main board). When I power it on the LEDs on the main board dont change...1 solid green 1 blinking green and now HDD LED. The CRT monitor turns on sitting on a white screen again and the LCD computer monitor sits on a black screen looking for a source. I don't necessarily think the screen is the issue because the board does not even show any hard drive activity.

I linked that cheap black PSU on amazon that's 110W I believe. Is that one that would work in this machine? Does it need a certain amount of power. For 25 bucks I feel like it's worth ordering to test but I do not know what else I can try and do at this point aside from replacing the PSU which it seemed is where our issues started with way back when.

Any further recommendations?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 08:11:24 pm »
yes the scan disk u did is fine
now even though u did kevins trick,that probaly would not help u anyway
as it did not
well the drive was out,did u note how many paritions were on it ?
1/2/3 ?
very important,also if u could upload a photo of the board i can tell u what u are indeed working on
gt's (green boards) had 4 rev's
gt's red board had 2 rev's

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 08:50:03 pm »
yes the scan disk u did is fine
now even though u did kevins trick,that probaly would not help u anyway
as it did not
well the drive was out,did u note how many paritions were on it ?
1/2/3 ?
very important,also if u could upload a photo of the board i can tell u what u are indeed working on
gt's (green boards) had 4 rev's
gt's red board had 2 rev's

ed

http://m.imgur.com/oXhSq6w,Fvy5qRI,iQSn3NH,oUlNmYv,hgbmSEa,OzypFyd,AKQ4QPg,xYcOCip,UsOtXuM

So here is a collection of pictures of the unit itself and the board inside. It is a green board but says revision 6 on it I hope these pictures are enough information to go off of. Please excuse the condition of the machine it mostly came to us like this and has been sitting but we plan and hope to clean it up and maintain it if and when we get it working again.

There are 3 partitions on the hard drive and a bunch of unallocated space.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 11:54:03 pm »
ok good
thats the # i was looking for
from what i can see (gen3) board
u broke the ide header,or some one did trying to plug in the ide plug
if the machine was powered on at the time ? that right there is 1 of your problems
your other promlem is the dip switchs are set wrong
:dip switch #5:
config it like this
1=off
2=on
3=on
4=on
this will alow u to switch between monitior (crt) and monitor (lcd)
next how are u powering this board ?
through the molex for the harddrive only ? or through the jamma interface ?
worst but best problem is the mbr is gone from the hardrive
fix this by d/l-ing gt05 in .chd format
install and run chd
cmd for ussage is in a txt for chdman1.46 !best 1 to use!
before u do that i wnt u to format the harddrive using mini parition wizzard
once u use the erase fuction then u will fill it with 0's using the same program
then go to chdman and use chdman
if u have doubt about chdman let me know i will post the revelvent part
if u need the chd ring me up

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 12:51:07 am »
ok good
thats the # i was looking for
from what i can see (gen3) board
u broke the ide header,or some one did trying to plug in the ide plug
if the machine was powered on at the time ? that right there is 1 of your problems
your other promlem is the dip switchs are set wrong
:dip switch #5:
config it like this
1=off
2=on
3=on
4=on
this will alow u to switch between monitior (crt) and monitor (lcd)
next how are u powering this board ?
through the molex for the harddrive only ? or through the jamma interface ?
worst but best problem is the mbr is gone from the hardrive
fix this by d/l-ing gt05 in .chd format
install and run chd
cmd for ussage is in a txt for chdman1.46 !best 1 to use!
before u do that i wnt u to format the harddrive using mini parition wizzard
once u use the erase fuction then u will fill it with 0's using the same program
then go to chdman and use chdman
if u have doubt about chdman let me know i will post the revelvent part
if u need the chd ring me up

ed

https://imgur.com/gallery/eRwQO

Here is the full album I do not think it was uploading properly from my phone before.

As far as the ide connector on the board it must have been like that as that was how I first saw it when I started talking to you and going through all of the connections and prior to me going in there none of us in my group of friends had touched the internals. Again dip switches we definitely would not have touched at all so I can try and change those as you said but I know it worked at one point for us.

As far as power I cannot say for sure off the top of my head how everything is wired up. It looks like the wires go from that silver PSU up into the jamma harness somewhere and then there's a molex going from the board to the hard drive. I can try and trace the wires from the PSU to get a better idea of where they go tomorrow or the next day as I'm not familiar with how exactly something like this should be wired.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 11:27:12 am »
hi
hold tight i am up-loading your file's now
at 5 meg a sec it will take a byte
then i post ussage

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 11:41:11 am »
I will be awaiting your reply. Hoping I can try and get this drive reimaged so I can stop at my buddies house on my way home from work and throw it back in and cross my fingers again. I still think the PSU has issues because of the original error messages we were getting and I know my friend wants to replace it, can you confirm for me that the 110W one I linked on Amazon would be compatabile if we wanted to order it? I understand the original one is probably a solid reliable unit meant to last but with the condition of things I think it may be in our best interest to replace it entirely.

Also I got my hands on a better multimeter so I want to confirm how to test the voltage of the PSU. We had tried with a junk old meter and tried testing it directly from the PSU and had trouble getting it to light up. I know you mention testing the 5v on the board itself so what is my best way of testing this? Unplug the HDD and use the pins on the molex cable coming off the board and test that? Unplug the molex cable from the board and test the pins off the board directly? Is there some where/something else I should be testing? If I can get what I need to read 5v and reimage this drive and try again with the same results, I'm assuming you don't think replacing the PSU would fix it? Would there be anything left to try or could it be something that's going to cause more pain than it's worth and call it quits or try to repurpose the cabinet for something else?

https://www.amazon.com/Switching-Cabinets-Including-Upright-Cocktail/dp/B00F1YQDBA is the PSU in reference that I am thinking about ordering unless I can test the other on better and verify that there is not actually a power problem.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:43:06 am by lunatics »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 12:24:14 pm »
personaly i test +5 +12 right at the molex connecter on the board
it is easy
outside pins are your +5 and +12 two inner most pins are ground
if u have it there ?
it is a perty safe bet u have it all the way through the board
the reason i do it there or better yet right on the jamma harness is because there is a hidden vcc and ground planes
inside of the board, which u cannot probe
like i said my up-load is capped at 5meg pre sec right now as my main optic server is down to add in other systems
so the :it: ppl thought hey great time to do it. :dunno
so i can get along with it
just hold tight
i am up-loading gt-05 for u
do u want chdman also ?

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 12:40:11 pm »
personaly i test +5 +12 right at the molex connecter on the board
it is easy
outside pins are your +5 and +12 two inner most pins are ground
if u have it there ?
it is a perty safe bet u have it all the way through the board
the reason i do it there or better yet right on the jamma harness is because there is a hidden vcc and ground planes
inside of the board, which u cannot probe
like i said my up-load is capped at 5meg pre sec right now as my main optic server is down to add in other systems
so the :it: ppl thought hey great time to do it. :dunno
so i can get along with it
just hold tight
i am up-loading gt-05 for u
do u want chdman also ?

ed

Take your time I am in no rush trust me I greatly appreciate all of your help going through trying to diagnose and work on this machine. chdman seems fairly easily found on google for the 146 version but if you want to throw it in to make sure I have it and the right version and it's not too much trouble for you, I won't complain. I will try testing the power coming from the molex connector on the board later today as well to see if we are actually getting the right amount of voltage coming out of them.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 03:25:28 pm »
this is the exact way i clean a drive and ready it for a new file (in this case a .chd file)
first i remove any and all jumpers from the harddrive i want to .img (default is master then)
next i will hook it up to my external readers/writers (usb) in my case
now i will use mini parition wizzard and allow it to detect the drive in question
as a rule it is #2
now i will remove any parition information (3) in your case
next once that is done
i will click on the #2 drive to be it is high lighted
and tell mini parition wizzard to fill the drive with 0's
u apply and run it (it takes a few minuites)
rember if u are running 7/8/10 to be in adim mode
once done DO NOT COLSE IT OUT BUT JUST CYCLE IT
ie it will say finished click ok NOT COLSE
psot me back i will explain the rest (easy stuff)

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 03:58:52 pm »
Okay so the step I am getting confused about is how to fill the drive again. I have not actually removed any partitions yet until I know how to do this but I try right clicking empty space on the drive or other drives and do not see any option to write/fill the drive so I'm afraid to start deleting and wiping the drive if I cannot find these options to do everything properly. As of right now I have the drive selected and was going to right click on it to wipe all partitions but I want to make sure I know what I am doing next before actually deleting them.

Okay, so going through the options more do you want me to "Wipe the drive" and then choose to fill with 0s?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:00:23 pm by lunatics »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 04:14:00 pm »
yes
it (the hardrive u pluged in reports as #2 correct ?
if so wipe it
your master drive is #1
leave it alone
if u are in doubt which is what it looks like
with mini parition open and the hardrives deteced..un-plug the harddrive u want to work on
click refresh for mini parition wizzard (upper left hand conner)
and the drive # should disapear
plug drive back in and click refresh again and wa la the drive (the 1 u are working on) should re-appear
that is the drive u want to wipe and fill with 0's
NOW REMBER I DO ALL THIS THROUGH USB
i do not know your exact setup ?

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 04:18:18 pm »
yes
it (the hardrive u pluged in reports as #2 correct ?
if so wipe it
your master drive is #1
leave it alone
if u are in doubt which is what it looks like
with mini parition open and the hardrives deteced..un-plug the harddrive u want to work on
click refresh for mini parition wizzard (upper left hand conner)
and the drive # should disapear
plug drive back in and click refresh again and wa la the drive (the 1 u are working on) should re-appear
that is the drive u want to wipe and fill with 0's
NOW REMBER I DO ALL THIS THROUGH USB
i do not know your exact setup ?

ed
Yes, Drive 2 was my GT HDD (I know how to tell the drives apart don't worry lol). I wiped out the 3 partitions, and then right clicked to wipe volume and selected 0's and it has been about 10-15 minutes now but I have not gotten any sort of confirmation message or anything. I tried clicking wipe again and now it show's another wipe in my pending operations. Do not know if the wipe went through or if I am still waiting or what.

Edit: I am an idiot and did not realize I needed to apply all of the actions I thought it was doing them as I selected them. The drive is in the process of wiping now and should be done in a few minutes and ready for the next step. Hoping I can get this done in the next half hour or so before I leave work so I can go straight home and test lol.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:26:06 pm by lunatics »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 04:31:37 pm »
:)

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 04:34:41 pm »
:)

ed

Hey ed drive is about to be finished being wiped what do I need to do next? Follow the instructions for chdman on their website or is there specific stuff you want me to do?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 04:44:40 pm »
every thing else u know
here is the exact cmd
rember u are in adm and know the drive #
it is handy to open diskmgmt.msc (adim for 7 and up) and run it to get windows crap for it) (rember the des for it)

chdman extracthd -i kinst2.chd -o \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 -f (remeber this is done in adim mode and in a dos window)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that is the exact command

replace drive 0 with the drive # diskmgmt gave u
WHICH WILL NOT BE WHAT PARITION WIZZARD GAVE U
but rather #3-10 DO NOT TOUCH 0 OR 1 (THESE ARE YOUR LOGICAL DRIVES (OS))
before excuting the command  CLOSE OUT MINI PARITION WIZZARD, u no longer need it
once u have excuteded chman all it should do is give u a status of if working to send the file to the drive...
any other error we will need to bug out

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 04:59:19 pm »
every thing else u know
here is the exact cmd
rember u are in adm and know the drive #
it is handy to open diskmgmt.msc (adim for 7 and up) and run it to get windows crap for it) (rember the des for it)

chdman extracthd -i kinst2.chd -o \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 -f (remeber this is done in adim mode and in a dos window)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that is the exact command

replace drive 0 with the drive # diskmgmt gave u
WHICH WILL NOT BE WHAT PARITION WIZZARD GAVE U
but rather #3-10 DO NOT TOUCH 0 OR 1 (THESE ARE YOUR LOGICAL DRIVES (OS))
before excuting the command  CLOSE OUT MINI PARITION WIZZARD, u no longer need it
once u have excuteded chman all it should do is give u a status of if working to send the file to the drive...
any other error we will need to bug out

ed

My drive was Disk 1 I only have 1 HDD in this PC right now. Anyway the extraction completed, I did not get any error messages so I think we are good to go as far as the HDD goes. I will be getting out of work shortly and stopping right at my buddies house on my way home to hook this up again and see if anything changes. I will also stop at my house and grab my other multimeter to see if I can check the molex plug on the board like your said and make sure we are getting 12v and 5v out of it. Will update this thread when I have any more information in an hour or 2 hopefully.

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 06:30:51 pm »
Okay so I got to my buddies house and hooked up the drive and the same results happened. Solid status 1 blinking status 2 and no HDD activity led. The voltage is turned to about halfway or a little more right now but it is so strippee I cannot turn it anymore and it feels like it is snapped off the board of the PSU so I don't know if it's even doing anything or not. I am going to order a PSU right now for shits and giggles for 25 bucks.

Aside from this is there anything else you can think of for me to test or try or look at?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 08:17:47 pm »
if u do not have ide light
it is olny 1 of 2 things
bad eprom (best case)
or a bad exlink chip (worest case)

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 11:45:01 pm »
Okay so we tested the voltage and it is giving off slightly higher than 12v and 5v because it was turned up a little high but it is giving off the right amount of power. With no molex connector plugged in the ide led lights solid red and when we plug it in and turn it on again nothing.

What are my options now. Can I get a replacement EPROM to try? Can I or should I try to take it out and reseat it if I've never had experience with it, is it possible it could have come lose and need to be fixed?

If it is the worst case that you said what are my options to fix that. At this point I have tested the hard drive reimaged it even, tested power from the board and still all the same results.

Is it possible to buy a replacement board for this and just swap it out? Can we try to send it somewhere to have it looked at or repaired or is it not even worth it?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 11:57:56 pm »
it bugs me u get a red ide light with no drive ?
this is led #d2 ? right beside the ide connecter right ?
because what u are saying is it will seek once u UN-PLUG the ide interface
but WILL NOT SEEK with it pluged in. is this correct ?
if so
u20/23/24 are the ide interface chips
there may be a dead short there ? and or your exlinx u2 is shot
at which point if it is the exlinx ? then it will be cheaper and faster just to up-grade to golden tee complete.
and or send the board out for repair..and as i am the only dealer of the exlinx left with stock.(it is nla)
it is better just to go to horses mouth..
or as u spoke of maming it
which will get u golf anyways

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 12:33:04 am »
Yes it was the ide led. I was not unplugging anything while it was powered so I booted with only the green LEDs. Turned off and unplugged the molex power going to the HDD and turned it on.the green LEDs came up like normal and the ide sat at a solid red light.

When you say upgrade do you mean something like this? http://www.arcade-service.com/parts/flash-cards/ that would get around the other issues? I guess I'm confused why plugging something like that in might solve the issue if seems to not e en be trying to read the HDD or get any activity from it.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 12:53:06 am »
i did note
the ide header is broke..now i am in no means saying u or the owner did it
but them ends olny break 1 way..that is some one reversed the ide header
this will let the magic fairy smoke out..it is that simple..
no i mean a board exchange
u see u have a bad board..thats (a)
u have a gt2005 it has only 5 courses thats (b)
u have a u53 secerity chip for 2005 which WILL NOT WORK with 2006 6 or complete (c)
u are using an old eprom u15 where it should be egale 2.09 (d)
your ide interface is shot. (e)
there is 1 chip on that board that if it is casuing it U CAN NOT GET and even if u did ? u CAN NOT get the code (f)
i personally know the last statment is truth , because of the fact i will when i have stock feed its-gamming
when they post me  a po# and request
and if i can fill there needs

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 11:01:21 am »
Well that's unfortunate. I wish I really knew what the issue was. My biggest problem with this whole situation is this machine worked 2-3 years ago. Yes it had intermittent issues and would sometimes give us voltage errors but typically after rebooting it a few times or unplugging it or switching outlets or even someone giving the control board a good smack would get the device working again. Until I opened it up (again, as far as I know, and my other friends are not technology inclined) no one had touched the internals of the machine in the years we had possession of it I was the first to start unplugging things and touching actual hardware and I noticed the edge of the IDE port like that the first time I removed the drive. So my issue is I do not feel like that port is the issue...I have broken plastic pieces on computer motherboards like that and as far as the pins were okay the plastic never caused an issue, hell I'd bent pins and one time on an old motherboard I even broke a pin and the drives would function so I cannot help but feel like the IDE header is still functioning. Now, the board has 2 molex and 2 IDe headers, is there no way with dip switched or something to try and have the machine look for/attempt to boot from IDE port 2? Is there no way to try and switch to the other port and boot? I guess in the next couple days I will try to look at the chips you mentioned and see if I can see anything wrong with them.

I thought that "kit" I linked would give you the replacement/updated eprom and then the "complete" data so you could replace the eprom and then that would allow the board to boot from the compact flash, it says it's compatible with 2005 and 2006 boards so (aside from the current issues we have) why would that "kit" not work to upgrade this board/unit to a newer version? Now that I tested the PSU with a proper multimeter I do not think that is any issue anymore (despite being old and not in great condition the board seems to be receiving and putting out proper voltage).

So I guess I have those couple questions above for last possible steps to try and trouble shoot but ultimately, where do I/we go from here? What, in your experience, do you recommend I do? If it is a full board replacement, is there a specific version I need or you recommend that I try to get? Do you sell boards yourself or do you know of websites that do and have any recommendations where to go to get one and a specific version? Depending on cost of a board am I better off just trying to get like a 60 in 1 or 200 in 1 board that might have trackball games and use that, or try and build a PC inside of it for emulation? Is it worth trying to send the board for repair if you do these types of repairs (I understand if it's that one chip there's nothing I can do about it) but if you see and work on it and test it in person do you think there is anyway of reviving it?

Also from the pictures I posted of the cab itself and the internals, does it actually look like a GT machine to you, or another cabinet that was re purposed by someone else for this?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:12:45 am by lunatics »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 12:01:17 pm »
well this statment tells me the trick of the tale
>control board a good smack would get the device working again<
the exlinx and nec's do not take to flexing ..with there age the solder is starting to let go and neeeds no help if u catch the drift ?
when it comes to "kit's" any kit must come with u53/u15/hardrive and they must all match
ie: 2006 is complete so u53 for usa would read complete-u-usa,eprom would be 2.09 and harddrive would have complete on it as
its os.
as for how the cabinets look as far as i can tell they were all modified h7's by dynamo
that point can be refiend
personaly i just do a straight exchange
your complete board and hardrive for what u want for xxx i also through in a extra harddrive
loaded with the same exact s/w.
now i do have 1 fast question for u
the ide cable your using
is it missing 1 pin ?

ed

lunatics

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 12:39:09 pm »
well this statment tells me the trick of the tale
>control board a good smack would get the device working again<
the exlinx and nec's do not take to flexing ..with there age the solder is starting to let go and neeeds no help if u catch the drift ?
when it comes to "kit's" any kit must come with u53/u15/hardrive and they must all match
ie: 2006 is complete so u53 for usa would read complete-u-usa,eprom would be 2.09 and harddrive would have complete on it as
its os.
as for how the cabinets look as far as i can tell they were all modified h7's by dynamo
that point can be refiend
personaly i just do a straight exchange
your complete board and hardrive for what u want for xxx i also through in a extra harddrive
loaded with the same exact s/w.
now i do have 1 fast question for u
the ide cable your using
is it missing 1 pin ?

ed
The cable? I mean I will have to check it myself but no, it doesn't apear to be and I don't see why it would. If you mean the 1 "middle top" pin that is "missing/blocked" on all IDE cables and missing from the board, then yes that one standard one was missing IIRC but the cable and board as far as I know were all fine and normal (not really sure how the cable would be missing a pin other than the one that should not be there). I guess it surprises me that hitting the control board might affect the board itself as the board is screwed into the bottom side of the cabinet and the board is on the top but if it's old I can definitely understand and see how that could have not been good for the machine. Or even during transportation if it got knocked around on the road when we moved it from my friends old house to his new one. If anything I think that is when the problem happened because the machine still turned on and gave us sporadic voltage errors at the old house, after we moved it was when we started running into this white screen not booting issue and kind of put it on the back burner and forgot about it for a year.

I understand a "kit" would have to come with all of that stuff but did you look at the link I posted? I don't want to question you as you obviously know far more than I do about this, but the description says with that you swap out the eprom to 2.09 and then have a compact flash card to IDE adapter (instead of HDD) and it says if you replace the eprom and plug that into the IDE slot instead of the HDD you will essentially upgrade your machine to a "complete" version. I understand if my board has other issues that would not work but I can't imagine this guy is blatantly lying and running a website and business off of it, and if my board and everything is a 2005 then why would his upgrade kit not work as described (assuming the exlink and other chips were not the cause of our issues). I guess I am just confused I was reading something yesterday that made it sound like if you had the right eprom and the compact flash/HDD with the software on it, then you could then run the other version but what am I misunderstanding? Are there other physical chips on the board that would need to be changed other than the eprom to 2.09 or things soldered in? Or I assume if I purchase the 2005 version from that would not make a difference since I know my HDD is okay?

What does it generally cost for everything I need? I see boards and HDDs on ebay for 300+ bucks which sounds more expensive than I had anticipated for that, is there somewhere else I should be looking? Do you have any resources your recommend or like I said do you have boards etc that you sell? You say our board and HDD for what we want, are you saying we can give you our board and HDD and buy a working one from you in the same, or a different version?

I am assuming if I buy a 2.09 boot eprom online from the guy who sells the compact flash card kits, he sells the eprom for 15 bucks...I am assuming that would not make any difference with our issues we are having right now? I thought you said the newer version allows you to boot other versions if you had the software for them, or does it only allow you to use different sized HDDs with different sized boot sectors or whatever in them?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 12:52:50 pm »
let me be clear and sesync here
to up-grade to complete (2006) u need the complete u53 security chip
the 1 u have right now is for 2005=golden tee 5
to go complete golden tee 2006 U53 MUST BE SWAPPED OUT ALSO
there is only 2 sources for these chips
its-gamming $29.95 exchange
or me.which i do not sell outside of my repair stock
the eprom is a normal up-grade $25.00
u do this to open the range and types of harddrives u can use
to by a kit for 2005 ? why when the o/s is free (u have it now)
i did ask u from the strat to up-grade u15 to egale 2.09
i even posted that .bin file for ppl to use  (if u have a 27c8000 blank eprom and way to write it)
by upgrading u15 it opens the world up to u
ssd harddrives with these boards are about as good as any ide
the reason for this is simple
when the game is going the harddrive is constaly beening accesed
so the wear on a ssd and requalr hdrrive is exactley the same
there max read/write cycles meet at the same time
so in short
get a egale 2.09 and any ol 40gig and up harddrive and load the os to it
following my steps
away u go
2005 not complete until u change out u53 seciruty chip
it is about that simple

on the ide cable some of the older cables are shipped with a pin missing (this is known as a cable select mode)
and the harddrive must be set to match
as a rule i toss them out and put in a normal 44pin ide cable

ed