Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver in AMD APU? (sorry if has been asked before)  (Read 1627 times)

K-rnivoro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT Emudriver in AMD APU? (sorry if has been asked before)
« on: December 16, 2016, 07:31:37 pm »
Simple question: Is it possible to use any CRT-Emudriver with an AMD APU having 15KHz in the integrated VGA output? I've tried some A8 APU's with Dolphin and some other demading emulators (in a PC Monitor) and regardless Intel processors are recommended, those APUs do a great job!!

PS: Just point me in the right direction if this has been discussed before.  :notworthy:

K-rnivoro

• Offline Offline
Re: CRT Emudriver in AMD APU? (sorry if has been asked before)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:50:41 pm »
Sorry if I insist...none have tried?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:52:10 am »
I'm hoping to do the same thing (i put up another thread without even realising this was here, d'oh)

If you look for APU drivers for Win 7, for example, AMD directs you to the legacy crimson 16.2.1 driver - the same as it does for any (outdated?) graphics product on Win 7. I reckon that's a good sign.

I'd say give it a go, if you have one. At worst, it won't install.

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:00:40 am »
Hi, I recently acquired an old laptop with an AMD A8 APU (AMD Radeon HD 6620G integrated), and I wanted to know if anyone tried to use CRT Emudriver with any of these APU's integrated graphics. I don't have a vga->SCART cable and I wanted to know if it's possible before buying one.

Thanks a lot.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:06:03 pm »
Should be in theory possible

- Download CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 11 (Crimson 16.2.1 non-GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits - NEW!
                 Desktop: AMD Radeon™ HD 5000, HD 6000 Series, HD 7000-7600, HD 8000-8400 Series
                              AMD Radeon™ R5 235X, R5 235, R5 230, R5 220 Series
              All-in-One: AMD Radeon™ HD 6350A, HD 6600A, HD 7450A, HD 7600A Series
                      APU: AMD Radeon™ HD 6000D, HD 7000D, HD 8000D, HD 6000G, HD 7000G, HD 8000G Series
                 Mobility: AMD Radeon™ HD 5000M, HD 6000M Series

- Download CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 11 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits - NEW!
                 Desktop: AMD Radeon™ HD 7700-7900, HD 8500-8900 Series
                              AMD Radeon™ R7 200, R7 300, R9 200, R9 300, R9 Nano, R9 Fury Series
                      APU: AMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R4, R5, R6, or R7 Graphics   
                             AMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5 or R7 Graphics   
                             AMD Athlon™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 Graphics   
                             AMD Sempron™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 Graphics   
                             AMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, or R8 Graphics
                             AMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5, R6, or R7 Graphics
                             AMD FX-Series APUs with Radeon™ R7 Graphics
                             AMD E-Series APUs with Radeon™ R2 Graphics
                             AMD Radeon™ HD 8180 - HD 8400 Series Graphics
                Mobility: AMD Radeon™ R9 M300, R7 M300, R9 M200, R7 M200, R5 M200 Series           
                             AMD Radeon™ HD 7700M-7900M, HD 8500M-8900M Series

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »
Thanks for the answer haynor666

Yeah, I too thought so after checking that compatibility list, but then I saw this post in Eiusdemmodi forum http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=332.

I searched the internet for days, but I can't find any more info about this subject, these APUs are old, but it seems like no one has tried CRT Emudrivers with them :(

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:55:53 pm »
The crt_emudriver install guides show you can install it and then use your current LCD with it.  It's the VMM step that switches over to low resolutions. So you can give crt_emudriver a go first, no need for the cable until you can see the driver is working with that APU (if it does). And you can always switch back and install regular drivers after that, though ideally you want to install crt_emudriver over a fresh copy of windows.

In fact, to test your APU properly, you'll then go through the same steps as the guy in the post you linked. I don't have VMM in front of me right now, but i think you could use the guide for the 5000 series cards and up on the same website you linked to, BUT once the driver is installed and you're up to the VMM step, make sure to try this:
-Make sure to pick the  arcade_15_31 monitor preset
-Copy the user_modes.ini file and call it what you want, edit it to make sure there's a mode in there called 640x480@60.0000 or whatever the format is, and not one for a 480 interlaced mode @30.0000. And also make sure there's modes like 320x240@60.0000. Then make sure to select this file as the list of modes to generate.
-Go through the VMM step of the guide steps of the guide to generate modes, and install them.

Now you should have some 15kHz modes installed, and some 31kHz modes so your LCD will still show up - i hope. Two things can go wrong, so pay attention. One, it doesn't work, and VMM can't install any 15kHZ modes - ok, you've lost nothing. Two, VMM switches to a weird mode your LCD can't handle and you can no longer boot into a visible desktop. I the latter case you might need to reinstall windows if you can't virtually get into the machine.

Hopefully Calamity can confirm that VMM would pick 640x480p as the default if you've generated it correctly. You could even try reducing the user modes file to two entries, one for 640x480@60.000 and one for 320x240@60.0000. Windows should always pick the larger, there.

If this works, you won't be able to test the 15kHz modes like 240p, but even installing them is a step further than the guy on your link got. And if they do install, i'd say it's safe to presume they work, everything else being equal - meaning i know nothing about your monitor or cable :)

Keen to hear how you get on.

EDIT: Remember that the above is only to test your APU using your LCD. To use a real 15kHz screen, at minimum you'll want to redo the VMM step from the guide and make sure you don't install anything over 15kHz (so, using the arcade_15 or generic_15 present, not the arcade_15_31 one). 480i is safe for an old SCART CRT, but 480p is not.

The other option is to just follow the crt_emudriver install guide as it's laid out, and if when you get to the VMM step the LCD goes out of range, you know it worked. Reinstall windows and look into your SCART cable :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:38:23 pm by buttersoft »

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 05:00:11 am »
Thank you so much for answering buttersoft, I finally decided to buy the cable and try, because at least the APU is recognized by the CRT Emudriver installer so I'm going to take a chance. It should arrive tomorrow or the day after, I'll keep you posted.

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 11:24:14 am »
Ok, so I tried today and it seems I can install Calamity CRT Emudriver, no problem at all following the guide...

But then, when I launch VMMaker...this happens

I installed "CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 11 (Crimson 16.2.1 non-GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits", that I think it's the appropiate driver for my APU (Radeon HD 6620G), but the CRT Emudriver installer shows Radeon HD 7400M instead. Could that be the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:20 am »
VMMaker reports MS basic driver, this because CRT Emudriver is not being loaded. Check in device manager if the gpu appears with a yellow icon. Check if test mode is enabled too. Did you restart Windows after installing the driver?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 07:44:49 am »
VMMaker reports MS basic driver, this because CRT Emudriver is not being loaded. Check in device manager if the gpu appears with a yellow icon. Check if test mode is enabled too. Did you restart Windows after installing the driver?

Yes, I restarted windows after installing the driver and test mode was enabled all the time. Today I tried making another clean installation of windows 10, and as you said it seems CRT Emudriver has some kind of problem with my computer, here you have some photos from the installation and the device manager after that

After this, the installer recognizes the graphics as AMD RADEON HD 7400M although my integrated graphics is an AMD RADEON HD 6620G, that could be the problem I think. Here you have the rest of the pics from the device manager with the yellow icon...

and from the device status

Thank you for answering Calamity , I hope you can guide me to solve the problem if there's a solution, if not I'll have to search for another pc with a compatible graphics card, I was very excited with the idea of running groovymame on my crt tv and this was a huge let down for me  :scared
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:38:10 am by prisonerofheaven »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 09:51:58 am »
Your card's pci id is not included in the driver .inf file. Have you tried with the Emudriver version based on Catalyst 12.6?
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 01:15:47 pm »
Mmm nope, I had not tried that, I assumed that "Crimson 16.2.1 non-GCN* cards" was the one for my graphics card. I didn´t have much time today before going to work, but I have installed the version based on Catalyst 12.6 and it shows promise. I have taken some photos.

First of all, when I try to install Emudriver based on Catalyst 12.6, it seems the installation recognizes 2 devices:

If I check the first or both of the options this happens...

But then I tried with only the second option and...well, there's hope again  :applaud:

When installed, one of  the found devices is my graphics card, and then, when I run VMMaker, it founds Crt Emudriver at last  :notworthy: :cheers:

When I got to that step it was time for me to go to work  :cry:, so I couldn't follow the rest of the guide, but I have good vibrations this time, fingers crossed.

I'll update tomorrow and keep you posted, I hope this post will be of use to more people with AMD APUs like mine. Thanks again for the help Calamity , and sorry if my english is a bit rough, it's not my first language.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:51:31 am by prisonerofheaven »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 01:27:29 pm »
Probably you didn't uninstall 16.2.1 before installing 12.6, did you?
Steps to create a log:

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »
Yes, I did uninstall 16.2 before installing 12.6, and then the 16.2 installer only showed one "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", then I restarted the laptop and proceeded to install 16.2, and that installer showed me the two display adapters, I don't know if it's because it's an APU  ??? , after the instalation showed both the 6620G and the 7400M, but VMMaker only detects the 6620G display, so I hope it's good news. I'm typing this from work, and when I arrive home it will be very late, so I'll try tomorrow when I have some time. I have not received my VGA->SCART cable anyway, I expect it will arrive tomorrow, then I'll check for sure if it's working.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:27:28 pm by prisonerofheaven »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 12:07:16 am »
TBH if it works one way but not another, use the way that works :) Post up some more results when you can. Do you know if your cable will combine sync for you, or do you have another plan for that?

Cheers for stepping in regarding the drivers, Calamity.

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 10:59:07 am »
Ok, so I made another windows 10 clean installation this morning to install Calamity drivers properly, and I can confirm that the installation shows two MS Basic Display adapters, I suposse it's an APU thing. I chose the second one and the drivers installed fine.

Then I ran VMMaker, and followed the Calamity guide steps, with an exception, my graphics card has two outputs, hdmi and vga, so I thought I had to choose "Analog_0" because the card has 1 analog output, but it seems the laptop screen counts as another analog output and choosing Analog_0 doesn't work for me. I tried with Analog_1 and worked, but the laptop screen was still the primary in my case, I connected the tv and it showed the extended laptop, so I went into windows display configuration and chose to use only the second display, and followed the rest of the guide.

Then I generated the modelines, but when I tried to install them a error message appeared with each of them notifying that the modeline couldn't be installed because it was rejected by the driver, so I closed VMMaker and ran it again, this time as an administrator, and this time it worked fine.

The proof:

By the way, this is the cable I used http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php?id_product=55&controller=product&id_lang=4 and It's working awesome for now.

I want to thank all of you guys for your help, and specially Calamity. I hope this thread will be of use in the future for people with AMD APUs, I searched the entire web and found almost nothing about this topic, so here it is at least.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:44:00 am by prisonerofheaven »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:45 pm »
Glad to see it worked. So finally it was 12.6 the one that succeeded?
Steps to create a log:

prisonerofheaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 04:13:55 pm »
Yes! 12.6 did the trick finally, I'm so happy right now  :applaud:

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 10:08:47 pm »
GJ, glad you persisted. As Calamity has noted elsewhere, this was one of the first test-cases with an older APU.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31