Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Add 1 custom mode to Ati Catalyst under Windows 10  (Read 2164 times)

pakoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:06:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Add 1 custom mode to Ati Catalyst under Windows 10
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:40:21 am »
Hi.

Is there a way to add one low res mode, for instance 256x240@60hz, to windows 10 plain Catalyst drivers -not CRT EMUdriver-?

I believe that Soft15khz and Winmodelines only work for older versions. I've already tried Vmmaker and plain drivers will reject everything below 440 lines. However Vmmaker works fine for EDID emulation on plain drivers.

My goal is to add only the modeline for the game I'd like to master to finish with one credit and as I only have one computer at the moment, I don't want to restart in "arcade mode" so the computer can still be used for internet access or other things.

I've found this:  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-set-a-custom-resolution-in-windows-10/
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

However:
Standard resolutions:

Standard resolutions are mostly useful for CRT monitors and for adding lower resolutions with LCD monitors. Do not add the native resolution as a standard resolution.
    AMD/ATI only supports the resolutions in the drop-down list. Other resolutions will be ignored by the driver. These will be listed in gray.
    NVIDIA does not support more than 8 standard resolutions.
    Standard resolutions are limited to 60-123 Hz. Use detailed resolutions to add other refresh rates.

I've tried it and it adds resolutions around 240p and are selectable!  Although the screen doesn't sync properly. I have to test it further, but looks promising :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:11:21 am by pakoman »

pakoman

• Offline Offline
Re: Add 1 custom mode to Ati Catalyst under Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:20:56 am »
EDIT: I posted in spanish, I don't know what I was thinking about...

I managed to add working 15khz progressive resolutions with this little program without the need of changing drivers or having to restart in safe mode under windows 10. I think it only admits 2 custom modes but hey... does the trick when not using a dedicated computer.

My bad I can't get a working resolution to fill the screen as this program seems to use slight different values. May somebody help me with this?:

The needed values are:
Horizontal Active, Front Porch, Sync width, Back Porch. Blanking, Total, Sync Polarity
Vertical Active, Front Porch, Sync width, Back Porch. Blanking, Total, Sync Polarity

And then Refresh rates (hz and Khz) and pixel clock.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:37:03 pm by pakoman »

oomek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2023, 02:31:38 pm
  • Mame forever.
    • https://github.com/oomek
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:35:27 am »
I'm also wondering why vmmaker is rejecting the resolution of for example 640x448 using stock drivers, when in CRU I was able to add it by adjusting blanking so the horizontal frequency stays in monitor's range. Is it not intelligent enough :D ?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:46:33 am »
I'm also wondering why vmmaker is rejecting the resolution of for example 640x448 using stock drivers, when in CRU I was able to add it by adjusting blanking so the horizontal frequency stays in monitor's range. Is it not intelligent enough :D ?

It's not VMMaker who rejects it, it's the driver. VMMaker is just informing you about the driver's decision :)

VMMaker adds modes through the ADL library, which has a very crude resolution check. CRT Emudriver hacks that check. The modes added through the EDID follow a totally different path in the driver.

Pakoman's achievement is really interesting. I'll see how CRU is adding modes to the edid custom table, as it should be possible to add that feature to VMMaker, e.g. by accepting a modeline list when emulating an edid.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

pakoman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:28:48 am »
Pakoman's achievement is really interesting. I'll see how CRU is adding modes to the edid custom table, as it should be possible to add that feature to VMMaker, e.g. by accepting a modeline list when emulating an edid.

I'm glad you find it interesting :)

And it seems to work with Nvidia also (even maybe intel integrated graphics in the future).

Adding resolutions to the EDID instead of to the driver would work with GM/Switchres with non Ati cards?

PS: I've managed to get working full screen resolutions, although I don't fully understand the values. Even if I remember correctly GM was able to set the right vertical refresh. So it seems that GM works perfectly with this new approach (at least with latest ATI unpatched drivers)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:33:28 am by pakoman »