Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Configuration help GM/Win7/JPAC/Radeon 7850/WG7700 CGA  (Read 2722 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
Configuration help GM/Win7/JPAC/Radeon 7850/WG7700 CGA
« on: December 16, 2016, 01:29:56 am »
Need a little help setting up groovymame, I've followed what I think are the right procedures but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm running Windows 7 with a Radeon 7850, a JPAC and a Wells Gardner standard res 7700.

Installed CRT Emudriver, all went as expected. In VMMaker changed the name of the ResList.txt file to use supers rather than the standard ResList file. Modified the VMMaker ini as instructed in the notes of supers text file, ie. ModeTable values to 0. Modified the Mame ini file to have 2560x0 under resolution, couldn't find cleanstretch listing to change it to 2. In both .ini files I used 'arcade_15' as the preset.

After install I'm not seeing a 640x480 interlaced mode that I can use for the desktop on the CGA monitor. Even when I  show hidden resolutions in Arcade OSD. When I try to run a rom it complains about the 2560x0 resolution and then will run at whatever the desktop resolution is.

Not sure what I'm missing. I've also tried using both the d3d9ex and the normal 64 bit executables, it threw an error for the d3d9ex version. 

Appreciate any help or guidance anyone can offer. Thanks!
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
Re: Configuration help GM/Win7/JPAC/Radeon 7850/WG7700 CGA
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:52:59 am »
I'm also curious why my CRT Emudriver and VMMaker windows don't look like what I see on the tutorial here: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 07:24:27 pm »
Here are my log files trying to run robotron from a commond line with groovymame d3d9ex executable and normal. Without d3d9ex it runs but switchres doesn't work, it runs at the desktop resolution 640x480p.

The card doesn't show as a Radeon 7800 series in the normal desktop resolution control panel, it's generic PnP, not sure if that's a concern. It does show as a 7800 in Arcade OSD, there is no 640x480 interlaced resolution though which I need to run Hyperspin.

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 03:42:54 am »
My friend, for that card you need Emudriver 2.0.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 11:25:29 am »
Here's the Emudriver 2.0 page...
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to install the full DirectX 9.0c redist package. 
Around 95MB in size...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 05:00:16 pm »
Ok I feel like a bonehead now, totally missed that. I installed 2.0 and it works perfectly!

A couple follow up questions...

• I used the GM d3d9ex executable and didn't change anything in the clean mame.ini file (ie. left video mode auto) and it works, is this normal? Is this the preferable GM exe to be using if it works?
  • I'm going to be running this monitor vertically and flipping the games in mame seems to work fine. Thinking I could set this up universally in VMMaker I went in and changed the monitor orientation to vertical, re-applied the modes, and it no longer worked. Switching back to horizontal and re-applying the modes again restores it to working. Is rotating the games in mame fine, any downside?
  • Whenever I do a new setup I've checked Cave vertical games like Muchi Muchi Pork which never seem to run at the right speed and have sound issues. I thought since GM had been updated I'd give it a try again and same result. I'm guessing this is an emulation or hardware issue other than GM/video but thought I'd ask if there's any workaround.

Thanks for the help, the setup is even simpler now with Emudriver 2.0!  :cheers: