Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WTB: Pi or computer set for Mame (no games loaded)  (Read 1437 times)

GPD1444

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:11:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
WTB: Pi or computer set for Mame (no games loaded)
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:08:18 am »
Ok I do not believe this is breaking any rules because I am not asking for games to be loaded onto the set up. If it is then I apologize and mods please delete this add.

I posted a question in the main forum and got a few answers but I'm still not comfortable with computers so anyone want to make some money off a computer idiot !?!

Looking for someone to build me a computer or Pi set up and running 100% with no games loaded on it. Now my request is kind of simple but also specific.

I will be running it in a 4 player cabinet with only a joystick, 2 buttons and a start button per player. Using a 27in CGA monitor that uses a VGA hook up and I guess an Ipac to wire the controls.

Wants:
1. Load to a screen similar to a 60-1 that shows each game on a short list of maybe 25 games. Want to not have to scroll more then 2-3 pages. ( I already own the PCBs of 7 of the games so those maybe have preloaded ready to play?)

2. Would like one of the game icons that I  can select to be NES and once that icon is selected it opens to a game list (I own close to 200 NES games so it should be legal to have this set up with a few games that I own already in it)

3. Complete free play just select one of the game icons and hit start from player 1 and anyone else wants to join in they just hit the start button of the player position they want.

4. A front end loaded on it so it boots right to a creek with the game icons.

5. Everything set up plug and play so I don't need to sit and map what button does what (again I own several of the games I want to put on this so far f they are loaded ready to plug and play it would be great)

6. A little technical support to get it running.

Again I do not believe this violates any rules not asking for any games loaded, and if possible to have the games I already own pre-loaded but if it wrong please delete.
I'm just trying to save my precious and expensive PCBs by running a multi cabinet as a back up and not have to run the chance of breaking boards swapping them out all the time.

I have several dedicated machines and have no problem wiring or anything else needed on the cabinet side I just have no idea how to set up the computer so I want something to just plug and play. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: WTB: Pi or computer set for Mame (no games loaded)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 08:30:38 am »
What you are asking for is rather impractical.
Without your CP you can not really correctly map the buttons for emulators etc.
Sure if you are using a KB encoder you can provide the inputs but you can guarantee something wont work right.

The PC's are really not hard to set up and you will find all the Tech Support you will ever need on this forum.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 03:15:09 am »
ive been selling the pi stuff left and right lol

however as the dude above mentioned you still need to configure your own controls. but on the good side, its VERY easy to do and I provide instructions too. basically you set the controls once for all system. I can get you a 32gb or 64gb pi setup. email me customjoystick @ gmail.com

I have almost everything in stock except a 2amp charger. you'd probably have to get your own unless I pick one up from walmart and send it to you.

and pi only has hdmi so you'd have to get  a vga to hdmi dongle too. I can do windows computer + hyperspin set up too but even that would require you to configure controls. and the cost will be much higher.

personally I think the pi setup is a much better option.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 03:21:18 am by SNAAKE »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 10:42:17 am »
What software front end are you using, snake?

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 02:08:43 pm »
using the default emulation station frontend and newest retropie. got a hold of a fancier looking version too but didn't get to mess with it yet. its supposed to look something like hyperspin(probably wouldnt be as nice but whatever)

either way I am totally impressed by the pi3 setup. its capable of playing playstation 1 games full speed. that is crazy for a $35 computer without a fan :cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 11:30:46 pm »
That's cool.  I'm not real happy with Emulation Station but what choice have I got...

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 11:37:31 pm »
pbj   none :)

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 10:41:36 am »
got the attract mode version working. its REALLY good. almost like hyperspin. but on the 64gb card after installing everything you have around 35gb left. thats still plenty of space for mame+whatever else you are into.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:45 am »
Link?  :)

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:49:28 am »
actually its not that great..there is weird lag/delay while scrolling the games and most of the artworks are missing. gotta put in some serious work to get EVERYTHING working and looking right. I will let you know if I find a more complete version lol..

just threw in some roms to check and almost all artworks are missing(only had dk1 snes version). then there might be controller issues where I can't control all of it with one setting. I think I like emulation station better now :P