Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help/advice on this decal...  (Read 2559 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Need help/advice on this decal...
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:36:58 pm »
Hey guys, so I'm going to be painting my dash boards on my driving cabinets as part of the project. Since I'm painting them I need to remove the original speedometer decals before painting. My plan is to try to re-create the shape of this decal and then design a more modern version and have it printed. But, I'm having a lot of trouble cutting out the shape smoothly. All I have to work with is gimp and I've tried using the paths tool but I cant get it smooth. Any help/suggestions would be welcome.

Also how would I get it printed so its the exact right size? Do I just create the image at 300dpi and at the exact size in inches then instruct whomever is printing it at exact size? Should I do it in png format so I can have a transparent background?

Thanks.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: Need help/advice on this decal...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 12:09:34 pm »
If you are using a raster drawing program like Gimp, yes, 300DPI at the exact size will work. Make sure you add 1/4 to 1/2" bleeds to the edges so your cuts don't have to be perfect (there will be a little extra going past the edge in case you make a mistake).

With regard to a transparent background... if you are printing to white paper, the background will be white. So you have to take your printing material into account. You don't have to have a PNG to have transparent data, but the point may be moot depending on what you're printing to. PSD, PDF, PNG all support transparency. Not sure what the native GMP format defaults to.

As for the shape in Gimp... do you have a scan of the existing image to work with to use as a tracing base? If so I could probably make the shape for you and save it in a format that will work in Gimp. I do this type of work all day.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 01:50:21 pm »
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately all I have is this picture. There's is no way to remove the decal without destroying it. I figured if I could use the image to get the basic smooth shape I could resize it to exact size.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 05:55:14 pm »
Place a large piece of paper over it and push it into the recess, pressing in the corners real hard with your finger nails.   You should be able to trace the shape from those creases.  Cut off the excess and test fit.  Then scan it in on a flatbed scanner to get the shape into gimp.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:10:53 pm »
That's a good idea thanks.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 01:42:30 am »
Crayon rubbing can be helpful too using that same method.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:24:07 pm
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:19:02 am »
Have you tried heating the existing decal with a hair dryer or heat gun? Sometimes you can pull the decal off in one piece depending on the condition. Then just scan it and redraw it with Gimp or Illustrator.

Are you planning on printing this yourself or are you going to outsource it?

Crayon rubbing can be helpful too using that same method.

While that method works great on cut vinyl, it really won't help much on a printed decal.

Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 08:27:56 am »
Planning on taking it to a printer somewhere. I will try the heatgun...

Thanks