Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie and question about Ipac  (Read 3712 times)

Richardgregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2021, 01:15:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newbie and question about Ipac
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:17:05 pm »
Hi folks:

So it's winter and I need a new project, so I decided to dive into setting up Rasberry Pi 3 and MAME.  As far as controls go, do I need to order an Ipac to wire up the joysticks and buttons?  Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks

sinfolmatt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2016, 11:27:21 pm
Re: Newbie and question about Ipac
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:48 pm »
There are other options.  My first build was with an iPac.

I am making a second now and using these which are cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUROWWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It depends on your plan for the build (number of players, buttons for each player, just mame or other consoles emulated?)Personally the iPac is better if you are willing to spend more because you can reprogram the keys, program shift keys and more.  But for a simple setup a cheaper usb encoder can work also.

I think you can also wire directly to the GPIO headers on the pi and program those but I have little experience with that.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 11:50:28 pm »
What type of CPO setup ??

If using only a few inputs you could go directly to the GPIO pins and grounds and not have to buy anything -- Here is a pinout for the GPIO pins - those in green are available for buttons and some of the yellow can also be used depending on the peripherals you are also using.

Here is a link to a decent tutorial on setting one up from adafruit - https://learn.adafruit.com/retro-gaming-with-raspberry-pi?view=all
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:54:58 pm by JDFan »

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:14:15 am »
FYI, connecting to the GPIO will cost almost as much in hardware (unless you solder straight to it) as it costs to get that encoder mentioned on amazon. A GPIO breakout kit will cost almost as much or more as well. GPIO is great... but those boards on Amazon work great for a simple set up and they are really cheap, I bought about 4 and I haven't had any troubles with them.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:46:54 pm »
FYI, connecting to the GPIO will cost almost as much in hardware (unless you solder straight to it) as it costs to get that encoder mentioned on amazon. A GPIO breakout kit will cost almost as much or more as well. GPIO is great... but those boards on Amazon work great for a simple set up and they are really cheap, I bought about 4 and I haven't had any troubles with them.

Or just buy a set of these for $1.14 on EBAY ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-New-Female-To-Female-40-pcs-Wire-Cable-Line-1p-1p-Pin-Connector-20cm-2-54mm-/171359763130?hash=item27e5d67aba )

and use them individually on the GPIO pins as needed - cut of the other end and crimp on a  Quick disconnect  to the other end for attaching to the switch - about $4 for a 25 pack on ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Vinyl-Female-Quick-Disconnect-Terminal-16-14GA-AWG-gauge-Blue-0-187-Wire-/121916873852?hash=item1c62cfdc7c:g:oUQAAOSwzJ5XV80v )

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 09:49:25 am »
That's great. I've looked at different times for those things and haven't seen them that cheap. Course I haven't looked on eBay for them either :-)  That said, delivery date is Jan-5 to Feb 23... a window that is usually too frustrating for me. I think the last time I ordered something like that from overseas it landed somewhere in the middle of that type of window.

Could order similar from Amazon. for about $6 and have it in a few days.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »
That's great. I've looked at different times for those things and haven't seen them that cheap. Course I haven't looked on eBay for them either :-)  That said, delivery date is Jan-5 to Feb 23... a window that is usually too frustrating for me. I think the last time I ordered something like that from overseas it landed somewhere in the middle of that type of window.

Could order similar from Amazon. for about $6 and have it in a few days.

Yeah the shipping does take a couple weeks (most of the time they arrive around the beginning of the delivery window unless there is some holdup in customs ) - but I usually keep several around and order more as needed - In a pinch an old IDE cable has the same type of connections but the wire gauge is a bit small so harder to work with. 

Also if you need a bit longer wire you can use the same type of wires (jumper wires) with the male connectors and string together a couple wires to make the wire longer without having to splice it in.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:46:09 pm by JDFan »

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 12:54:24 pm »
- but I usually keep several around and order more as needed

See. I usually think I'm getting out of this hobby and that I'm just going to start playing my machines. Then I get sucked back in. I don't think ahead to keep things laying around. I'm going to have to. Now that RadioShack is nearly dead (and really sucky) i can barely even get spade terminals in the right size without going online.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 01:09:19 pm »
- but I usually keep several around and order more as needed

See. I usually think I'm getting out of this hobby and that I'm just going to start playing my machines. Then I get sucked back in. I don't think ahead to keep things laying around. I'm going to have to. Now that RadioShack is nearly dead (and really sucky) i can barely even get spade terminals in the right size without going online.

I know the feeling - while living in Los Angeles I was the same since there were several Fry's, etc. around to stop and pick up things - but now that I'm back in El Paso the only electronics place around here is Best Buy  :laugh2: - So I have to either keep some things or wait for the online order to get here. 

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 01:45:55 am »
I used to live in Orange County a few miles from Frys. I know the feeling. Here in St. Louis...  nothing decent either.

lazrhog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2018, 07:03:56 am
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 01:34:57 pm »
I think the iPac gives you the ability to process multiple keypresses better over USB.  I believe both methods work through.  My setup has an iPac2.  Very happy with it - plus it gives me a 5v power source close to the led lit buttons (as I hot glued the iPac to the control board)