Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jukebox buzz noise when connecting to external amp with speakers.  (Read 3979 times)

actman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:17:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I have a Row Cd-100C with an auxiliary board. I run the outputs from that board to an amp (receiver) upstairs. That way I can play my music upstairs and control that volume separately.
When I connect the shielded rca cables to both units I get a buzz in the speakers with the Jukebox off. When I turn on the Jukebox the buzz loudness cuts in half but is still noticeable. Both the jukebox and receiver are on separate circuits. I plugged the Jukebox into an extension cord with no ground pin and that cut the noise almost down to nothing with the Jukebox on. With the jukebox off and the groundless extension cord the buzz is still loud. I won't run without a ground that is totally unsafe. There are some noise filters I will try. one is called Buzz Off by Rolls model HE18. It is an RCA non powered filter that you run your rca connections though. The other is called Hum X it plugs into the wall and you plug your jukebox or receiver into it for ground loop issues. If anybody has any ideas on this issue let me know.
I will post back when I try these solutions out.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Jukebox buzz noise when connecting to external amp with speakers.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:31 am »
Tried a ground loop isolator?  They're like $10.

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-3-5-mm-Isolator/dp/B001EAQTRI

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:45:27 am »
Thanks but that product is made for a 1/8" single channel device. My setup is two RCA connectors. The Buss off one I mentioned is $38us so not that expensive however the other hum x model is a lot more.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:16:24 pm »
Thanks that may work and is a lot cheaper solution. I did buy the other two I mentioned and will try them and see. I can return them so won't be out any money

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 02:26:44 pm »
I tried the buzz off product first. Connected near my amp as well had tried it near the jukebox. It made no difference in the noise. I next tested the Hum-x. It is an adapter that plugs into the wall and you plut the jukebox into it. That product brought the noise almost down to nothing. However when the jukebox is turned off the noise goes right back up. I will use it for now.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 02:36:23 pm »
If the amplifier's power cord is plugged into the "AMPLIFIER" socket on the power transformer assembly, try moving it to the "SERVICE" outlet instead. Rowe wires the amplifier outlet to be on all the time the machine is plugged into a wall outlet regardless of whether the machine's power switch is on or off.

The service outlet is controlled by the power switch. Now when you switch off the jukebox's power switch, the amplifier will also shut off and hopefully your noise will go away.