Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe jukebox - replacing foam seals tip  (Read 2290 times)

cordd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2017, 08:54:19 pm
  • Rowe R-91 jukebox
Rowe jukebox - replacing foam seals tip
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:26:28 pm »
On my Rowe R-91, I noticed I was seeing a fine dark-colored dust inside the machine. I discovered it was from the foam seals around the door. After almost 30 years, they have dried out and rotted. If i rubbed my finger against the foam, my finger would be covered in a dark dust. If I pinched the foam, bits of it would come apart.

I purchased a 10 ft. roll of foam weather stripping at Wal-Mart that was about the same dimensions as the original foam, .75" wide and .5" in height.

I then opened up the jukebox. I carefully disconnected the cables to the lower front panel and removed it, setting it up where I could work on it. I placed a trash bag over the turntable unit to keep dust off the records and the unit itself.

There was a rotted strip of foam on the lower front panel between just below the tweeter speakers. I peeled and scraped it all off.

I then removed the rotted foam from the upper lid, below the title strips and at the back next to the piano hinge.

Then I unwound the weather stripping and pressed into the places it need to go. It was a perfect fit. I had about a foot of stripping left over when I was done.

I then vacuumed the interior of the jukebox using a brush attachment.

After I put everything back together and played  a few records, I noticed the new foam seals greatly dampened some rattling of the cabinet I had previously when a song was playing with a strong bass line. If your foam is rotted, I strongly suggest replacing it. As I have a R-91, I would assume the same method could be done for any late model Rowe jukebox.

ami-man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
Re: Rowe jukebox - replacing foam seals tip
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:20:31 am »
Hi cordd,

We have been doing similar to you for the past 30 years or so.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK