Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crossbow  (Read 3406 times)

Sparkolicious

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2022, 05:41:24 pm
  • Measure twice cut once dern it!
Crossbow
« on: December 01, 2016, 03:30:11 pm »
Finally finding the time to work on my Crossbow Cab! It needed some TLC, but there was a good bit of damage during shipping. I will say though.. the shipper came trough with some cash that covered the needed repairs. Here is some of the shipping damage.

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
Re: Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:32:43 pm »
After removing the guts, I laid it down to get a look at what was going on underneath. I knew it was sketchy.. I have 3" screws sticking threw the bottom in random places.

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:38:32 pm »
First things first.. I removed the random boards. Bottom will need replacing. The boards were covering up more damage. After standing it back up, I removed the side adhesive and CP art. The CP was separating a bit so I glued and clamped it. Removing the sides was real PITA!

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:43:19 pm »
Got the sides prepared for filling. I hate particle board cabs... water damage, they fall apart, and I can't even guess what this thing weighs!! Anyway.. Elmers wood stabilizer kicks tail!! Some pics of the process below.

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 03:47:34 pm »
Carefully removed the bottom. I replaced it with 7ply birch plywood. I through bolted some casters because moving this thing is difficult at best! They are rated at 90 lbs each. Hoping that is enough! Got all of the bondo work done too! Almost back to being awesome!

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:51:50 pm »
Applying the side art has been an issue. I had to throw a $60 sheet away because I didn't get it down correctly. Looking back, I should have applied contact cement to the entire side and then laid the sticker down. Lots of trouble the the adhesive not sticking. I've have to run a very low heat iron over some bad spots. A lot of work, but it looks pretty good. CP art was the same. I ended up using some contact cement to get it completely in place.

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 03:56:07 pm »
I'm waiting on a replacement sheet of black vinyl from https://quarterarcade.com/ .  I'll some finished pic after I get er done.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 11:20:01 am »
Looks great.  :applaud:

At some point I have to should do the same to my Cheyenne/MultiExidy so am watching your progress. I had been thinking of priming/sealing the whole cab before applying new vinyl because I was worried about adhesion (and because a local guy I know always did that and his restos were pristine).

Are you planning to do any gun-related maintenance? Long ago I saw a blog post on Exidy gun maintenance, but haven't been able to find it since.

And I hear you about difficulties moving the beast. She is a might unwieldy.

:cheers:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 08:39:55 am »
I would definitely seal the whole thing. The particle board just breaks down over time. I ended up with an entire side that I had to gently heat and work. So far is seems to be staying put, but I am sealing the other side.

When I bought this game it had been worked on. NOS monitor and boards are clean. My only issue is with the connection between boards. After a few minutes of play, the screen wigs out. If I move the boards a little it straightens out. I am assuming flaky connection between the two boards is the problem, but I haven't monitored voltages to see if the power supply could be the issue. The gun is in great shape except for two galvanized self taping screws used to screw the front of the crossbow on. You really would never noticed with it mounted, but I just can't put it back together without fixing it.

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 09:57:39 pm »
DONE!!!! Finally! Control Panel overlay came out kind of like crap, but it is what it is for now.. I want to play! I ended up applying contact cement to the entire side to get the sides to stick well. I should have done the same for the CP. I have some areas on the CP that aren't sticking. I tried to apply light heat, but that made permanent creases. It doesn't stick out, but I know it is there, and it farks with my OCD terrible! Game plays though! Cleaned contacts between boards and played for a while with no video issues. 

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 10:29:38 pm »
 :applaud:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 01:42:04 am »
Totally watching this.  Love it!

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 10:04:28 pm »
Oh... yeah!!!!! awesome!  :applaud:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 07:18:37 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 09:28:56 am »
give that man a hurumph