Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Red/White CL Cabinet Find - Help me decide on a theme and other suggestions...  (Read 1845 times)

smass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
I found this cabinet listed on CL locally last week.  Guy was asking $150 for it, and I offered him $100 and he took it.  The story is the cabinet was built for a company event.  It had a mac mini inside and was running a custom game of some kind.  His boss gave it to him after the event.  the cabinet is professionally built.  Its solid and has glossy laminate on all outside surfaces.  I figured the materials and time saving of having all the heavy work done was a steal for $100.

I built my own cabinet last year running MAME so I have experience with the software side of things and mounting of monitors and such.  My own cabinet uses a tankstick that I had kicking around, so this project will be my first custom CP.  I am also building a raspberry pi bartop for my brother (that will get its own thread in time).  So for this cabinet I am looking for input on theme and CP and such from the community.  Here are the ideas I am considering so far:

- MAME build using older computer.  I have a G2020 pentium dual core system all ready to go for this
- Monitor: Cabinet is big enough for a CRT.  It has a monitor shroud inside 22.5" x 13".  My current cab has a 19" lcd but I might go with a CRT on this one.  I have a 19" gateway CRT monitor, but I think I would like to go bigger so I am keeping my eye out on CL for a CRT or TV that would be suitable
- CP: there is a 3" diameter hole in the middle of the CP.  I could mount a spinner or trackball there.  I am thinking two player (CP is 27" wide). If I go NeoGeo I will use the standard button layout for NeoGeo
- Theme: my initial thought was to go for a NeoGeo theme.  I think the CP in particular would look good with the traditional red and white  NeoGeo cp art

If anyone has suggestions for other themes that would go well with the colors of the cab I am all ears.  The laminate looks awesome so I want to stick with that, but add cp art, decals on the sides, and such.  I will also add a coin door. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:04:01 pm by smass »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Raiden red ship

EDIT: The white inside edge of the side panels bugs me.  If there is a way to paint it black, I would do that...even if a PITA.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:48:10 pm by BadMouth »

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm

GSXRMovistar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2023, 07:10:28 pm
  • Gez, this is gonna be expensive!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148135.0.html
    • CoffeeCade
I was going to say do something other than a game themed cab however what I was going to suggest would actually mixed quite well with the Raiden red ship.

I was going to suggest a geometric style like these:-

Then red/white controls, I'd personally go with red sticks and for the buttons I'd be tempted to try red buttons but with white plungers inserted.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
I like the geometric idea.  My original thought was to put some sort of striping on the sides.  I also like the Raiden concept.  I think the two ideas could be integrated nicely.  I am thinking some type of geometric pattern on the sides integrated with the ship image....

Red ball top joysticks and red buttons would be my preference as well.  I might want to introduce some black as well.  If so I could go with black buttons.  Things to ponder...

Ran across this.  I like the logo with the Japanese script. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:44:37 pm by smass »