Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Scorpion Dart Board - How to replace a light  (Read 3554 times)

mitchum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2016, 09:21:43 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Scorpion Dart Board - How to replace a light
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:54:02 am »
Hi,

I bought an old Scorpion dartboard a few weeks ago.  I've been refurbishing it and it's fully functional.  However, the last thing I have to do is to replace the light bulb behind one of the game-selection switches (the one for High Score).

I've opened the board and can access the push-button fixture from behind but I can't figure out how to access the light bulb.  The button is rectangular and clear and is used to select which game you want to plan (i.e. 301, Cricket, etc.). It has a light bulb that lights up when selected.  See the switches below the "Scorpion" in the image linked.

I have removed the switch part of the assembly.  But I can't figure out how to get to the light bulb.

Since this is my first post, I don't think I can upload a picture but if that would help, I can get enough posts to do so.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mitch
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:40:22 pm by mitchum »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:06:39 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Scorpion Dart Board - How to replace a light
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:57:35 am »
Hi,

I bought an old Scorpion dartboard a few weeks ago.  I've been refurbishing it and it's fully functional.  However, the last thing I have to do is to replace the light bulb behind one of the game-selection switches (the one for High Score).

I've opened the board and can access the push-button fixture from behind but I can't figure out how to access the light bulb.  The button is rectangular and clear and is used to select which game you want to plan (i.e. 301, Cricket, etc.). It has a light bulb that lights up when selected.  See the switches below the "Scorpion" in the image linked.

I have removed the switch part of the assembly.  But I can't figure out how to get to the light bulb.

Since this is my first post, I don't think I can upload a picture but if that would help, I can get enough posts to do so.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mitch
Welcome aboard, Mitchum.   ;D

To embed an image, use the icon to insert the "img" and "/img" image tags.
Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.midstateamusements.com/common/assets/images/items/BeFunky_104_0269.png[/img]
To upload an image, click on "Attachments and other options" directly under the text editing box where you type your post.

Then click on the "Browse..." button to select an image to upload from your local HDD.

For more details, check out the BYOAC-specific step-by-step tutorial here.   ;D

Scott

mitchum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 12:42:09 pm »
Thanks, Scott.  I was looking for the image button but that picture of Mona is so tiny on my monitor that I didn't notice it. :)  I've updated my original post to show the image.

I will try to upload the actual pictures from my dart board but I think I need 5 posts before I can upload pictures...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:08:58 pm »
I will try to upload the actual pictures from my dart board but I think I need 5 posts before I can upload pictures...
Anyone can upload as long as the files meet the file extension and size requirements.

Allowed file types: txt, jpg, gif, pdf, png, zip, rar, jpeg, skp, svg, ai, gif, 7z
Restrictions: 8 per post, maximum total size 5120KB, maximum individual size 2048KB

As long as your photos are <2MB, they'll upload.

As mentioned in my earlier post, click on "Attachments and other options" under the box where you type your post text.   ;D

Scott

mitchum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 01:19:05 pm »
Thanks again.

Here is what the back of the switch/light looks like:

After removing the black switch part of the assembly, it looks like this (it's the assembly on the left in the photo):

The black collar at the bottom of the assembly can be unscrewed and is used to remove the entire assembly.  However, the collar does not fit over the white part.  The white part includes the two leads that are used to power the light bulb. 

My guess is that the white part of the assembly can be removed by turning it 1/4 turn to the left but it doesn't seem to budge and I don't want to break it.

Any thoughts?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 01:49:13 pm »
On most illuminated buttons, the body of the button has tabs that fit into slots on the bulb socket/switch holder.

1. Put the switch back in so the arms are less likely to flex/break.

2. Rock the socket/switch holder as you try to turn it.

The rock/turn trick should work for tab/slot buttons (round) or peg/slot buttons. (triangle)

If your socket is a snap-in like the rectangular one below, wiggle the socket in a conical motion whle pulling and gently twisting.

Scott

mitchum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:21:43 am »
If your socket is a snap-in like the rectangular one below, wiggle the socket in a conical motion whle pulling and gently twisting.

Scott

Thanks, Scott! :notworthy:

I had been thinking that my switch had tab/slot buttons (round) or peg/slot buttons (triangle) and was trying to turn it.  The "wiggle the socket in a conical motion while pulling and gently twisting" worked like a charm.