Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So ... 3d Printers....  (Read 232924 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: So ... 3d Printers....
« Reply #1120 on: July 02, 2021, 07:20:53 pm »
First large format print complete (clear petg).  Not as oem looking as the design in my head, but it got done.  I did concentric infill at just under 100% hoping it would come out clearer.  It isn't clear, but it's solid as a rock.  Someday I'll graduate from Tinkercad to Fusion.
I respect Wine-in-a-box ready to go in the fridge.   :cheers:  :lol

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1121 on: July 09, 2021, 05:08:04 pm »
So, I picked up one of these because i had printed so much stuff that used this type of hardware.

thought it was pretty sweet for a few months.
until i knocked it off the bench.  :banghead:

the little drawers went everywhere scattering nuts and bolts and washers everywhere plus it cracked.

does anyone else keep an assortment of hardware for assembling projects?
what do you store them in?

I'm thinking now a bunch of these might work for me.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #1122 on: July 09, 2021, 06:13:08 pm »
Been there! Those shelfs go down with a huge mess. :banghead:

I'm not about to suggest my small parts solution is great, but I have been working on this same problem. The issue I have is I bought so many of those tiny amazon boxes with assorted lengths of M screws, I would be wasting a lot of plano cases to keep them compartmentalized, so I just got a small tote to hold all my metric stuff and I keep them in their Amazon boxes.

Other things like extruder parts, nozzles, springs, etc, I keep in those metric zip baggies and label the bag. I have a ton of them that I use for board game organization. The only thing left for me to do is print some partitions in the tote to separate out the baggies.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1123 on: July 10, 2021, 11:30:34 am »
nice vigo.
i bought a few empty boxes with side locks about the same size as the amazon boxes of parts.

thanks.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:45:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #1124 on: July 10, 2021, 12:04:05 pm »
does anyone else keep an assortment of hardware for assembling projects?
what do you store them in?
I use a variety of storage systems.

- A wall-mounted parts bin similar to this one from one of the big-box hardware stores.

- A bunch of the Harbor Freight 24 compartment tackleboxes that are OK for medium parts, but the divider system is . . . less than stellar . . . for very small parts.

- For small parts like connector pins that would be a total pain to sort through, consider the Harbor Freight 25 box storage system.  The 25 small boxes have snap-lock lids.

I'm thinking now a bunch of these might work for me.
Those are better for keeping small parts separate than the 24 compartment one, but are a bit more expensive and not as flexible.  YMMV.

Scott

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #1125 on: July 10, 2021, 03:01:38 pm »
I started accumulating extra nozzles, heatbreaks, etc and wanted a toolbox to keep it all in.

I ended up getting a very small Plano tacklebox with removable clear trays.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OES590/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's ok, but anything too big to fit in a tray ends up in the big top compartment.  A bigger one might work out better.
It is smaller than it looks in the pictures.

The one thing that I have been happy with was this plastic storage box with individual compartment lids:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089M45T8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can get them cheaper from China if you are willing to wait for delivery.

For the small screws used in building stuff, I'm with Vigo.  Just buy the assortment packs that come with a case.
When building the Voron I ordered exactly what was needed from Bolt Depot, but I would not do it that way again.
You are much better off buying cheap assorted sets.  Attaching plastic to aluminum does not require grade 8 bolts.

EDIT: I also have 3 of these that random leftover bolts and screws go into.  It feels like more work than you would think to move them on top the workbench, unclip both sides, fold down the front, & pull out the tray to get at the parts.
https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-compartment-utility-box-40528.html

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:13:53 pm by BadMouth »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1126 on: July 12, 2021, 07:56:26 am »
that thing from harbor freight looks spiffy.
i'll have to give mine a second look.
don't think i've ever seen one of those.

as for the multiple drawers cabinet, I have no where to mount them right now unless i hang some wood from the joists in my basement.
so i think i'm going to stick with plastic cases.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1127 on: July 12, 2021, 10:13:29 am »
Anyone have a system for remote access/monitoring that they would like to share?
I read somewhere that an alarming number of Octoprint installations are open to someone else on the internet accessing them.

I am using Mainsail/Klipper on the Voron, but it is only accessible via  local network.
I set up an old security camera (on a guest network) to monitor prints, but cannot do anything if there is a problem.
I considered using a smart plug that could be turned off remotely, but in some situations it would be better to pause the print.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #1128 on: July 13, 2021, 05:19:10 am »
I will be taking round 2 at setting mine up soon. I put in a pi and a touchscreen in on my printer as part of the control panel. My first attempt at putting octoprint on it failed, then I lost interest to keep pushing it.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1129 on: July 13, 2021, 02:26:59 pm »
I am envious of that power switch on the front (instead of the center of the back like the Voron). 
Keep us updated on Octoprint.  It annoys me that Klipper doesn't use the click wheel for anything and only uses the button as an emergency stop.
I may give octoprint a shot.

My latest idea for remote pause is to wire something as a filament runout sensor. 
The old security camera I'm using can pan, so I could even use it to hit the switch.  :lol

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #1130 on: July 26, 2021, 10:08:51 am »
I finally started assembling my Voron.  It started with major frustration because I needed the 1mm shim washers and could not find that order anywhere.  I wasted 2 hours looking Saturday afternoon and gave up.  Then Sun morning decided I would clean up the side room that had tons of junk stacked around as one last chance.  I cleaned and stacked all my stuff on the shelving on one side and then told my wife it was her turn to clean up her sewing table area that looked like a tornado of material hit it.  Well of course she finds the box with my parts buried on her table but accuses me of putting it there.  I was like the last spot I had that box was on my pinball machine and you cleaned that off.  Its a major argument every time I can't find something...lol.  I'm like just don't move my stuff ask me to move it and then I won't have that variable in my head.

Then I started with the Z drive assemblies.  First off the gear would not fit onto the motor shaft the way they showed in the manual.  I could put it on with the fat side first but then it would stop near the end like it was tapered.  It wasn't until I tried all 4 gears that I found 1 of the 4 would freely fit all the way up and down the shaft so I had to use a drill to get the other 3 to fit.  I figure when they anodized the parts black it messed up the fit.  Then I got to the motor brackets and could not find the parts anywhere.  The part shown in the manual and the Nero video both showed a complete circle part attaching to the motor.  I finally found another video where the guy talked about the issues in the manual and he showed how they had changed the part so that it only has 3 screws and part of the circle is cut away.

I am impressed with the quality of the design so far.  The way they have the arm you swing in to tension the belt is pretty awesome.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1131 on: July 26, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »
Weird about the z motor brackets.  I must have had the old stl files because my parts matched the manual.  I did go back and download newer stl files when the limit switches didn't fit right and I found a change submitted that referred to the issue.

One issue that I may be able to steer you right on.  When you attach the motors to the A/B drives on the gantry, rotate them so the wiring exits face each other.  I had the wires coming out the back, but then there was so little clearance that the wiring was going to rub against the back panel as the gantry moves up and down.  It wasn't a huge deal, but I did have to unscrew and rotate them in place with the belts already ran.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:48:04 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1132 on: August 11, 2021, 10:02:27 pm »
Started throwing a Voron 1.8 together from leftover parts and the extrusion I had cut while waiting on the 2.4 frame.  Had to use 2040 for some parts of the frame.  Might have to swap in two more pieces to free up 2020 for the bed.  This will start out as a test rig to experiment without screwing up the 2.4.  I spent money on rails and some 40mm bolts, but that is about it so far. Gonna run the crappy belts I already have for now.  Nickle and diming my way to a z axis.

Got some carbon fiber polycarbonate on the way.  Looking forward to testing its strength.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 05:56:38 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1133 on: August 15, 2021, 03:17:48 pm »
Polycarbonate I ordered wasn't carbon fiber.  I was actually kinda relieved as this meant I didn't have to swap hotends for fear of scratching up the copper heatbreak of the dragon.

Anyways, if you've done ABS, have no fear of polycarbonate (at least Polymax by polymaker).  Spool went straight from the package to a filament drier feeding the printer. Printed on PEI with a coat of aquanet.  Hotend at 270, bed at 110, no fan.  Chamber stays around 50.  Very, very slight warping.  Less warping than the same part printed in ABS. Then I cleaned the PEI and recoated with Magigoo PC.  No warping at all.  Been printing parts for two days.  The only thing that failed was a small part where my 15 second minimum layer time wasn't enough to let the layers solidify.  Reprinted with one small part on each corner of the bed and they turned out proper.

So if you can do those temps, give PC a try.  Stronger and more heat resistant than ABS, but no more hassle IMO as long as it is kept dry.  If it does sit around soaking up moisture, it will need baked for 8 hours per the instructions.  Mine is going right back into a vacuum bag when I run out if things to print.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 03:45:37 pm by BadMouth »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #1134 on: August 25, 2021, 04:38:46 am »
Wife wants me to get a 3D printer, Wants to print off a bunch of Disney related stuffs.  What is the current recommendation for less then £200 in the UK?   Needs to be simple to setup, simple to use, and I think most of the stuff she wants to print is in the 3 to 4 inch range.  Was looking at the Creality Ender 3 Pro with tempered glass.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #1135 on: August 25, 2021, 05:24:10 am »
Ender 3 Pro is a good deal.

I hope the bed stick longer than 5 prints though before bed warping (even on glass).

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1136 on: August 25, 2021, 07:14:50 am »
I bought an Anycubic Mega S thinking that the Prusa knockoff design would be superior to the Ender.  Upgrades like a different print surface were a PITA to find in the correct size though.  The extruder sucks, but I'd have to switch to custom firmware to upgrade it.  I wish I'd just bought an Ender because they have become the standard.  You will never not be able to get a replacement part or have a problem that someone hasn't already posted the solution to.  I don't see a reason to buy anything else in that price range.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1137 on: August 25, 2021, 09:34:23 am »
If anyone out there is considering Klipper and debating Mainsail vs Fluidd for the pi:

Everything I found when searching the subject said they were pretty much the same and decide for yourself, so I went with Mainsail.
Added a pi cam to my test build.  It was fairly plug and play, but the results were less like video and more like a picture updated every so often.
It wasn't anywhere near the 15fps set.  Later, an update killed something in my Mainsail install and I could no longer connect, so I gave Fluidd a try.

They are extremely similar in appearance and function, but the pi cam works better in Fluidd and the control panel panes can be rearranged. 
It also reports information on the pi and warns when the pi is being throttled.
At this point in time, Fluidd is superior IMO.  I like it well enough that this evening's project is to switch the 2.4 over to Fluidd.

I also planned to use the test rig to experiment with physical buttons in Klipper.  There wasn't much experimenting as it turned out to be stupid easy.
It's odd that I couldn't find many online tutorials covering it and those that do exist complicate it by using pins on the pi or a secondary mcu.
A few lines in the config file is all it takes to use buttons wired to the extra endstop pins on the SKR board to send any gcode command or macro. 
I only have 2 inputs available on the 1.8, but have 9 on the 2.4 since it has 2 boards.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:31:23 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1138 on: August 25, 2021, 10:12:48 pm »
Picked up a used Logitech C525 for $15.  Only 720p but it has autofocus.  Mounting to 20x20 extrusion turned out to be stupid easy.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1139 on: November 25, 2021, 08:02:05 am »
if anyone is interested.

anycubic photon s resin printer is $99 shipped right now.

https://www.anycubic.com/collections/anycubic-photon-3d-printers/products/anycubic-photon-s?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhf2MBhDNARIsAKXU5GTj6TyzuXlpK6WJ62fB6LYUAO0A-ntemZir3DyzDwF9KWfQTeXvaswaApe0EALw_wcB

not mono or that big, but i ordered one for my kid.
he keeps bugging me to make cartridge stands for his n64 on mine so i figure this is a good time to introduce him to 3d printing so he can make his own.
he's 15 so i think he's old enough.

oh, and happy turkey day.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1140 on: January 24, 2022, 09:46:23 am »
Did a fair amount of tinkering with the printers last week.  Moved them to the basement & vented the V2.4 to the exterior of the house.
Added lights & a cheap Arducam to the 1.8.  Very happy with both.
Made a double sided spring steel bed with PEI on one side and Garolite(for vinyl) on the other.
Spent a couple hours brute forcing the correct syntax to get chamber temps displayed on the LCD.  :-[

In previous testing, chamber temps only got up to 50°C.  When actually printing, they kept climbing and climbing.  Eventually it touched 70°, but averages closer to 66°.
I am glad it didn't get any hotter.  I originally wanted to build a 100° chamber, but after digging into the research realized that the plastic races in the linear rail guides are only rated to 80°.
I found that preheating to 55-60° with a heat gun gets the chamber temp up a lot faster than waiting on the bed to heat it.  Also the aluminum extrusions act as a heatsink, so any future custom printer is going to have an interior frame completely insulated from the outside world.

Also dealt with chamber temps on the V2, as the exhaust fan was pulling air out.  I came to the conclusion that it is better off sealed with some type of fume mitigation outside of the printer.
Not sure when I'll fiddle with that.

Did my first tests with vinyl filament using a small $10 roll.  Manufacturer recommended 260° max, but I had to go to 270° to get good layer adhesion.
The printer also shut off part way into the first print because the hotend wasn't heating as expected.  Not sure if this was caused by the enclosure temperature, or the high extruder temperature.
I ran a PID tune at 265° with the enclosure heated and the next print went fine.  The vinyl warped without a brim (on garolite, 110°).  With a brim it appeared to work perfectly while printing except for one corner.  The part seems to have warped after it was removed from the bed though.  I left it alone for a half hour after printing, but I guess that wasn't enough.  The chamber actually cools pretty slowly, which is good.
Next time I will try PVA glue on the garolite.  When I buy a big roll of vinyl it will be a copolymer, so that might be a lot less prone to warping.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:56:35 am by BadMouth »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #1141 on: January 24, 2022, 09:54:05 am »
Do those ---smurfing--- printers ever work?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1142 on: January 24, 2022, 10:19:18 am »

:lol

The Voron 2.4 has actually not had any issues other than stinking up the house.

This was the first thing printed on the 1.8.  It would probably be reliable, but will be torn apart and reconfigured anyway because it is a test rig.

The tool is the hobby.  (and it's a horrible hobby)

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:50:40 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #1143 on: January 24, 2022, 12:57:30 pm »
I realize that you gents are early adopters of this stuff and it is still evolving, but given tech pace these days one would assume it would be farther along in ease of setup/use/reliability.

It all kind of reminds me of my ex-wife.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1144 on: January 24, 2022, 01:52:09 pm »
I realize that you gents are early adopters of this stuff and it is still evolving, but given tech pace these days one would assume it would be farther along in ease of setup/use/reliability.

It all kind of reminds me of my ex-wife.
The tech isn't that new.  The reason it exploded in recent years is that the patent for the process expired.  The heated chamber patent expired just recently.

What holds it back most IMO is the filaments.  They are extruded from standard industrial pellets meant for injection molding. Those plastics were originally formulated to shrink when cooling so they would pop out of the injection molds.  This is why plastics other than PLA warp so badly when different parts of the object cool at different rates.

PLA doesnt warp, but will deform in a hot car and degrades if placed in water.

I saw a story about BASF getting into filament a while back.  I am hoping they or some similar company formulate new types of plastic from the ground up.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1145 on: January 24, 2022, 11:43:51 pm »
It's all very cool stuff.

I would be an absolute menace if I had space, time and $$ for one.
 :)
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1146 on: January 26, 2022, 01:22:41 pm »

The tech is about as evolved as it's ever going to get.  It's a low tech basis of operation, with a high tech layer applied over the top.  In other words, it's a glue gun (73 year old tech) with automation to mostly provide fine control of position and extrusion rates.

The problem with the whole process is not the automation parts, as much as it is with the glue gun portion.  Melting and extruding various different types of plastics, each with their own properties, even varying within plastic types, creates an ever changing target which requires skill and experience to hit with any sort of regularity.

The best you can hope to do without jumping in with both feet, is to try to spend your way into the hobby with expensive machines and using only filaments approved and sold by the machine's vendor.  Even that is fraught with potential issues related to head clogging and parts failure, which owners usually have to address themselves.

SLA is the future of 3D printing.  Resins are constantly evolving and eventually we may see very strong parts with fast cure times and simple cleanup.  Until then, it just is what it is.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #1147 on: February 01, 2022, 04:27:42 pm »
Still planning to build a Voron, but a much bigger purchase took the funds I had set aside for it. I still wanted a upgraded experience, so I took the plunge and ordered a Prusa MK3S+ kit. I’ll use that to print my Voron parts. I’ve had great fun with the Anet, but I’ve taken it as far as it can go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1148 on: February 02, 2022, 06:18:20 am »

The Voron 2.4 has actually not had any issues other than stinking up the house.

I spoke too soon.  The silicone wire for the proximity sensor broke internally in the middle, presumably from being rolled and unrolled inside the drag chain so many times.  This sent the nozzle crashing into the bed several random times and a few more times while diagnosing. Wasted over half a day figuring out the problem and running new wires.

The sensor is normally closed and opens when triggered which should have prevented a crash. I dunno.

It never F-ing ends.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 06:41:30 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1149 on: February 02, 2022, 06:40:58 am »
Still planning to build a Voron, but a much bigger purchase took the funds I had set aside for it. I still wanted a upgraded experience, so I took the plunge and ordered a Prusa MK3S+ kit. I’ll use that to print my Voron parts. I’ve had great fun with the Anet, but I’ve taken it as far as it can go.

The good thing with Prusa is that a lot of the guesswork with materials is removed.

Honestly if I already had a Prusa, I would invest in the multi material attachment instead of building a Voron.  With an enclosure and dissolvable support material, it could print just about anything.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1150 on: February 02, 2022, 10:45:00 am »

The good thing with Prusa is that a lot of the guesswork with materials is removed.

Honestly if I already had a Prusa, I would invest in the multi material attachment instead of building a Voron.  With an enclosure and dissolvable support material, it could print just about anything.
True. I just think the Voron looks cool, looks fun to build, plus I like the increased build size.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1151 on: February 17, 2022, 05:17:07 pm »

been thinking about a duel extruder printer with dissolvable supports.
IDEX type looks the best to me.
the Elegoo  Neptune 2D is about $240 on amazon but it's you standard small 200x200 build plate.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 05:34:59 pm by nitrogen_widget »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1152 on: February 17, 2022, 05:27:30 pm »
ok. 3d printer status report.

mini-delta - over temp errors. fixed. was a botched octoprint update. i'm printing ABS again without issues and it looks fantastic.

Chiron - was having extrusion issues, replaced extruder...still have issues and getting clogs. checked heat block, it's not as hot as the printer reads. in fact it's only giving me 200 and some change in C when it should of been 230C.

soo i'm replacing the thermister.

on deck:

xyz Jr. needs a new PTFE connector.
anycubic photon - new screen. had it for 3 days. 3 days and dropped the damn build plate into the vat damaging the fep and the screen while taking it off.   :banghead:
other monoprice mini - new extruder and e-step calibration.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1153 on: February 20, 2022, 12:32:20 am »
Damn.

You gents all rate high in my book for having the fortitude to keep at it long enough to sort out all those details.

Holy crap.

I avoid this thread (and then can't help myself!) because I need another hobby like I need bursitis.

And I can't resist the urge to look up a Prusa now either.

Dammit

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1154 on: February 20, 2022, 07:48:53 pm »
Honestly, Bobby, I’ve printed a lot of items that have helped out in this hobby.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1155 on: February 20, 2022, 09:27:53 pm »
Honestly, Bobby, I’ve printed a lot of items that have helped out in this hobby.

I can imagine!
An entire discipline of its own.
Being able to recreate things that nobody has made in decades could be invaluable.

I can already think of stuff I would make if I was able.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1156 on: February 21, 2022, 05:20:17 pm »
Dear diary...........

so, mini delta was printing like a champ.
until the ptfe connector on the stock extruder broke.
I have a replacement because this happens with these printers. just need to put it in.

spent more time than i cared to tracking down just what is wrong with my chiron.
long story short, i attached the thermistor directly to the motherboard bypassing the harness and i got proper temps.

I've also ordered 22awg silicon wire to create a new harness.
couple of people have already done it on youtube so i'll just follow their guide.
and currently printing up a new braket for a V6 hotend and will also be re-creating the junction box for all the stuff in the hotend since it is an annoying design.
will post pics when it's done.

my xyz junior is next. i learned octoprint is available for android so my kids have old firetab 7's and i have some OTG cables so i'm going to play with that.

oh and since i expect my chiron to be down a little while i ordered an anycubic Vyper.
it has good reviews.
true auto leveling.
magnetic bed.
dual gear extruder
silent steppers
volcano hotend.

it's basically got all the upgrades i wanted to put into my chiron but didn't because it still worked and i don't fix things that aren't broken.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1157 on: February 21, 2022, 08:32:10 pm »
ok. 3d printer status report.

mini-delta - over temp errors. fixed. was a botched octoprint update. i'm printing ABS again without issues and it looks fantastic.

Chiron - was having extrusion issues, replaced extruder...still have issues and getting clogs. checked heat block, it's not as hot as the printer reads. in fact it's only giving me 200 and some change in C when it should of been 230C.

soo i'm replacing the thermister.

on deck:

xyz Jr. needs a new PTFE connector.
anycubic photon - new screen. had it for 3 days. 3 days and dropped the damn build plate into the vat damaging the fep and the screen while taking it off.   :banghead:
other monoprice mini - new extruder and e-step calibration.

:cheers:

Mine were printing fine, so I had to change something.  I built this supposedly fast Voron 2.4, but still print at 60mm/s so things look nice.
Swapped to a high flow dragon hotend and .6 nozzle as a way of working toward faster print times.  I am still in the testing for best slicer settings stage.
The eventual plan is to have it dialed in for one brand of ASA and then print almost exclusively in that.

I bought a cheap beat-up jon boat and hope to print a bunch of stuff out of ASA for it; rod holders, drink holder, battery panel, fish finder mount.
Can't find the right size grease bearing cap for the trailer, so will be giving that a go in ABS or Tough Poly.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1158 on: February 22, 2022, 01:06:51 pm »

:cheers:

Mine were printing fine, so I had to change something.  I built this supposedly fast Voron 2.4, but still print at 60mm/s so things look nice.
Swapped to a high flow dragon hotend and .6 nozzle as a way of working toward faster print times.  I am still in the testing for best slicer settings stage.
The eventual plan is to have it dialed in for one brand of ASA and then print almost exclusively in that.

I bought a cheap beat-up jon boat and hope to print a bunch of stuff out of ASA for it; rod holders, drink holder, battery panel, fish finder mount.
Can't find the right size grease bearing cap for the trailer, so will be giving that a go in ABS or Tough Poly.

I thought voron could print something like 100mm/s with high quality because of direct drive and stiffness?

I was actually researching the dragon and if it was worth the $$4 compared to a v6 with volcano and found this.

https://3dprintbeginner.com/dragon-hotend-vs-copperhead-v6/#:~:text=As%20you%20can%20see%20from,40mm%20fan%20with%20higher%20airflow.

I have a new V6 hotend for a printer project i never did wired for 12v (chiron is 24) but i also have plenty of spare heaters along with volcano heat blocks so i'm thinking i'll go that route then purchase the copper heatbreak.
just need to make sure my cooling is adequate for the heatsink.

Is ASA easier to print than ABS?
i think you are the first person i've seen mention it online.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1159 on: February 22, 2022, 04:46:05 pm »
I was actually researching the dragon and if it was worth the $$4 compared to a v6 with volcano and found this.

https://3dprintbeginner.com/dragon-hotend-vs-copperhead-v6/#:~:text=As%20you%20can%20see%20from,40mm%20fan%20with%20higher%20airflow.

I have a new V6 hotend for a printer project i never did wired for 12v (chiron is 24) but i also have plenty of spare heaters along with volcano heat blocks so i'm thinking i'll go that route then purchase the copper heatbreak.
just need to make sure my cooling is adequate for the heatsink.

Is ASA easier to print than ABS?
i think you are the first person i've seen mention it online.

I actually did have problems with the dragon high flow overheating and have to run it without a silicone sock on the heater block.  So my experience concurs with the article.
I did not have any such problem with the standard dragon.  The regular dragon probably could have handled the .6 nozzle.  I bought the high flow a while back wanting to try huge nozzles and fast speeds someday.

My Voron 1.8 has a Trianglelabs V6 knockoff with an E3D titanium heatbreak.  I notice no difference in print quality between it and the dragon.  IMO the only advantage is ease of nozzle removal since it doesn't spin like a V6.  FYI the titanium heatbreak sucks for PLA, but works great for everything else.  PLA sticks to it when it retracts and causes issues, especially rubbery PLA+.  Another note on the Dragon: I'm afraid to run any abrasive filaments through it because the heatbreak isn't easily replaceable like the V6.  I assume the filaments would also scratch up copper much faster than titanium.

I'm still on my first roll of ASA (white Overture).  So far it prints identical to ABS.  It doesn't smell quite as bad, but supposed to be just as bad to breathe.  I bought it because I had some bathroom and outdoor projects.  I had previously made some indoor plant watering parts from PLA and they became brittle and disintegrated after a year submerged.  ASA is more UV resistant than ABS, although I found out later that black ABS is pretty much UV resistant due to the black pigment absorbing all the UV light before it penetrates very far. 

This material comparison from Polymaker is interesting to look at: https://us.polymaker.com/pages/material-comparison
(It's really just rating each category on a 1-5 scale, but the pictures are a neat way of comparing materials)

I like pursuing new materials.  Whenever you get one figured out, there is a more difficult one to try.  I had hoped to arrive at some perfect hardcore material, but have come to realize that every filament has some tradeoff.  I thought Nylon was my grail, but look on the Polymaker charts at how much the characteristics change depending on humidity.  Reinforce nylon and it gets more brittle to the point that the benefits of nylon are lost.  The glass or carbon fiber has to fit through the nozzle, so it's more like reinforcing concrete with loose nuts and bolts than rebar.  It's a shame because my insulated Voron 1.8 prints nylon perfectly.  I will probably end up using Nylon only for sleeve bearings and maybe RC car bumpers someday.   

So I am settling on ASA for most things because:
I print mostly brackets and tools which don't require fine detail and bridging of PLA.  I also want them to last.
It has the same characteristics as ABS with added benefits of UV and weather resistance.
It isn't going to melt if left in a hot car or disintegrate if left in contact with water like PLA will.
I think I have the bridging settings in Cura pretty dialed in for it (45% fan on bridges only, skin overlap to 40% or else Cura starts skin in mid-air)  EDIT: I have noticed that print times increase dramatically with the skin overlap increased. Overhang performance could use improvement.

I really like Polymax PC, but it is very expensive.  It prints a bit easier than ABS.  I still want to try straight PC filament to see how it compares. (requires Magigoo PC which is an added expense)

I had black Polaroid brand PETG that I bought because it was cheap.  It could just be the brand, but it is too flexible and overhang performance sucks so that turned me off to PETG. 

I want to try Polypropylene because it is food and dishwasher safe.  Haven't needed those characteristics for any projects, but I will think of one.  I did have to replace a polypropylene wheel in my dishwasher that fell off and melted against the heating element.  Ended up using Polymax PC for that.  The printed clip to hold the wheel on broke after a year of service.  Dunno if PP would have done better.

I want to try printing Delrin for no good reason.  Aside from sleeve bearings, it might make good joystick or shifter gates.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 02:54:18 pm by BadMouth »