Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So ... 3d Printers....  (Read 232865 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: So ... 3d Printers....
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2017, 04:44:28 pm »
Well cura has a little status window and it has a text box.... I'm assuming I can use that to send commands, but I don't know what the command is to stop the fan.  It seems to be doing ok this time.  The only thing I did was put a big old fan on the power supply just in case and cinched up the wires to the hot end a little better as they were hanging below the fan duct. 

It's very annoying... one of those watched pot deals.... It was printing fine last time so I went in the living room to watch a movie and it crapped out on me.  Right now I'm on my computer anyway and wouldn't you know it... no errors.  I don't mind checking in occasionally, but this is a 6 hour print.    It's about halfway done, so hopefully it'll make it this time.  The solution for rapid cooling is to insulate the hotend, so I'll look into that.  And of course overheating just needs more fans, so I'll go through my junk drawers and start throwing every 12v fan I have at it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2017, 07:15:31 pm »
While I'm waiting for this to finish I took a look at tinkercad.  it's surprisingly robust.  The only thing I don't like about it is there doesn't seem to be any way to work on models at the vertex level or the ability to delete/add/weld vertices.  I'm old school.  I usually plop down the basic shapes and then do all of the detail work with vertices.  I want to try one or two projects with it though.  No having to install a bloated 3d modeling program is a big check in the pro box for me. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2017, 07:40:10 pm »
I went through the included tutorials, then a few from this youtube channel:

With that, I've been able to pull off everything I can think up, except for complex curves.

The only annoying part is that every single thing you do is recorded in the file, so designs you've worked on a lot and redone parts of get so complicated that they take longer to load and sometimes get glitchy.  You can work around this by saving individual pieces as stl files, then importing them into a new design file.  Then they only show up as one shape instead of all the shapes & changes that went into making them.  Of course you can't undo or ungroup the parts that went into it.

You can also copy and paste from one design to another, which is helpful.

EDIT: BTW for some reason I can't access the drop down menu to change the snap grid size on the new Beta version (lower right corner of grid area).
         I can click on it, but the options are always hidden behind the tool panel or right edge of the screen.  Could be the 1600x900 resolution on my laptop.
         If you have the same issue, you may want to use the Legacy Design option.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:47:01 pm by BadMouth »

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2017, 08:48:38 pm »
Is there a way to stop the fan on a running print?  (Other than unplugging it of course).
But I doubt its because the fan is cooling it to fast. I would recommend checking the hot end and heated bed's thermistor, it may be loose or out of place or bad. Its a good idea to pick up a cheap laser temp gauge and use that to confirm the hotends actual temps.

I agree that a cooling fan is very unlikely to cause a thermal runaway error.  I'd check the temp sensor wiring very carefully.  After that, some of the Skynet releases have had some bugs.  I'm still on 2.0 because it works for me and I hate to fix what's not broken.  2.3 (or 2.3.1) seems to be pretty good from what I've read but some of the in between versions have had reports of thermal runaway errors.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:52 pm »
I think it was just glitching out for some reason.  I'm currently running it via usb cable and I think when my pc gets busy it is sending odd data or something. 

The latest print turned out just fine and I checked the print every 15 min or so and there was never a fluctuation in temp more than a degree or two.  I checked the wiring the whole length, even removing the covering and I couldn't find any kinks or breaks. 

Anyway my pcb cover turned out great.  As per usual there was a design flaw in the author's design.... the box hit the right bolt on the z limit switch, pushing it down, so I had to take it off and dremel out a small hole.  It looks nice and tidy though.... I'm only hoping the vent holes are enough to keep it cool.  I'll probably mount a pair of fans to the outside just in case. 

Btw.... I've been using painter's tape on the bed because the included stuff sucked and I have a real hard time removing some prints.  My tape is ruined every two or three jobs.  I was thinking maybe contact paper or something.  Are there any pre-made covers out there that actually work?

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2017, 10:33:30 pm »
As annoying as peeling tape of every other print its been the best for me. I just get the really thick cuts so I only need to do a few strips. I can go 4-5 prints before changing it out.

They had flexible sheets you can buy, I used one for a bit but eventual stopped when then 1st layer wouldn't stick anymore.

You can check them out here.

http://www.printinz.com/printinz-3d-printer-plates/

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2017, 10:37:54 am »
First layer sticking (and later releasing) is one of the biggest issues. I've used a lot of surfaces and I have found PEI to be the best so far with PLA or PETG. You can get PEI kits from Amazon or EBay that have a 30 mil sheet plus separate adhesive sold for 3d printing. I personally like 3 mil PEI tape from C S Hyde. Lasts for many prints with just a quick alcohol wipe before each print. Eventually gets beat up to need replacing. I have not yet tried the specialty print surfaces like Printz but the reports seem to be no better than PEI at higher cost.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2017, 12:15:51 pm »
I've easily done two dozen prints on my current sheet of PEI and have no plans of changing it anytime soon.

I did have an issue once where it turned white and was ever so slightly puffed where the last part was stuck to it.
I do not know if it was that I was experimenting with higher temperatures, that I stretched it slightly while removing the part, or what.
It's just enough that if I print a big flat part face down and you hold it up to the light at just the right angle, you can see the outline.
This has only happened once and I'm still using the same sheet.  Just been too lazy to clean all the adhesive off and I haven't needed to print anything big and flat that needs to have a perfect shiny smooth surface.  Discussion here if interested: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151479.msg1597116.html#msg1597116

Other than that once instance, I pretty much consider PEI to be the permanent bed and not a consumable.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »
Well the smooth surface is one of my concerns.  Right now it is quite noticeable that I'm printing on tape because you can see the lines.  With what I'm printing right now it doesn't really matter, but when I start printing stuff out for my car it would be nice to have a smooth surface, or at least a uniform one. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2017, 01:45:19 am »
I saw a youtube video where someone used a butane mini torch to smooth pla prints.... I might try it.  Anyway, I figured out the z-offset.  You just want to throw a G92 in your starting g-code. 

Let's say you want to print on some glass and it's 10mm thick.... you would add the g-code:
G92 Z-10

That tells the printer that the current z-position is -10, so before printing it's going to move up 10mm to get to 0, which will be on top of the glass. 

So I need to read up on g-code as my 3d modeling training was more on the artistic side than the industrial. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2017, 10:23:10 pm »
when I start printing stuff out for my car it would be nice to have a smooth surface, or at least a uniform one.

When I first got my printer I thought I could pull off a nice smooth surface on the side facing the print surface.
I have since given up.  I can get it pretty smooth, but you can still see the path the printer took.
Getting something finished looking enough for a car interior without finishing in some other way is a pretty tall order.

When I had an 83 TransAm, I would cut panels out of textured ABS, clamp a guide across the corners and file the surface of the corners down until they looked like the factory panels.  If your Camaro interior looks the same, you'll understand what I mean.

So make anything cooler than a cube yet?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2017, 10:43:57 pm »
Well the idea was to cook each flat side on a hot plate for a second or two to melt everything flat and maybe use a torch for curves, but I think I'll experiment on reject parts first.  If all else fails spraying it with some filler primer and painting isn't a big deal. 

In previous cup holders I've used the excess of a midway 27" crt bezel from happ.  The stuff is a dead ringer for the plastic texture on the center console, but I think I'm about out of it. 

I've printed a bunch of stuff, but not much for fun yet.  I printed out a cover for the pcb and some bushings for the Z axis. I designed a couple of tool holders for the included kit that snap to the top.  I also printed off a spool holder that mounts to the top from thingiverse, but it kind of sucks so I might make a new one.  Other than that, I printed the Nintendo logo (small test size for a HUGE sign) and I made a little mounting box for a wifi extender that doesn't get good service unless I mount it in the window. 

I saw a Shao Kahn model from mk9 on thingiverse... I want to print that and paint it.  I had this idea to print out control panels for candy cab buttons/sticks.  I did some tests and with a 100% solid print it's probably stronger than most plastic madcatz sticks. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2017, 09:23:31 pm »
Yeah so I've been experimenting a little.

I found a plotter attachment on thingiverse for the i3 in which you had to remove the cooling fan.  I modified it so that it bolts behind the fan instead.  Sorry I should have taken more pics, but here is the first test before I dialed all the settings in.  As of now it has the accuracy of a black and white printer for the most part.  I'm still trying to keep the pen from dragging when it first starts printing, but other than that, it works.  The key to doing this is to save an additional machine profile in cura and change all the settings for the plotter.  Then switching back and forth is as easy as loading profiles. 

The next step is to modify the plate to make it a universal mount.  A dremel extension and vinyl cutting drag knife can work via the same principal for 2d cutting. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2017, 07:30:29 am »
Some cool things done with a drawing machine: 
(contains some profanity)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:32:16 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2017, 03:29:32 pm »
I saw that one.  I guess our youtube suggestions are similar.  ;)

The more I play with this printer the more I think it could probably handle light-duty cnc milling.  The only weak point is the y axis portion of the frame and as it's only two screw rods attached to flat lexan, it could be modified and made sturdy. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2017, 09:03:17 pm »
So I thought I would give a glass plate a try.  Thus far glass sucks.  I'll try to tweak the settings one more time tomorrow, but even with a bunch of glue down on the bed it's just sliding all over the place.  So I guess I'll try some of the ready made sheets you guys suggested as the parts are sticking to blue tape so bad that I fear I'm going to warp the bed removing prints.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2017, 09:57:41 pm »
Bah! 

Never mind, the glass is actually better, I just goofed a bit of g-code.  Printed out the little makerbot keychain and he turned out pretty good.  You can make out most of his buttons and stuff, so I call that a success.  I need to lay off the glue stick a little next time, but I actually managed to get a flat edge on the bottom without any path lines.  He pulled off the glass a lot better than the tape, so assuming I can get this glue stick ratio down I think I'll stick with glass. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2017, 03:37:34 pm »
I wuv Gummi Bears!

So in restrospect, Howard, would you buy this printer again? I'm jonesing to get one, and I found a good price on this model....
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2017, 10:18:37 pm »
Yeah it's a pretty good printer so long as you understand that you'll be fiddling with it.  Like I kept getting thermal overruns recently... the solution was to zip-tie a set of wires down because the vibrations were wiggling the thermal sensor loose.  I've printed most of the hardware for my world of Nintendo cab with it and it has held up well. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2017, 10:34:19 pm »
Yeah it's a pretty good printer so long as you understand that you'll be fiddling with it.  Like I kept getting thermal overruns recently... the solution was to zip-tie a set of wires down because the vibrations were wiggling the thermal sensor loose.  I've printed most of the hardware for my world of Nintendo cab with it and it has held up well.

What’s the print quality?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2017, 11:14:24 pm »
On par with a mid-range printer.  You can see the layers of the print, but accuracy and definition are pretty good.  Squirt some filler primer and you are ready for paint. 

My phone seems to be possessed tonight but as soon as it behaves I'll post a pic of something I printed recently.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2017, 11:20:06 pm »
Here we go..... Note that I didn't prime this one I just dry brushed some paint over. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2017, 11:24:38 pm »
Here we go..... Note that I didn't prime this one I just dry brushed some paint over.

Looks good. What upgrades did you do? Power supply?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2017, 11:58:10 pm »
Not a lot really.  I made a couple of tool holders since you need to keep all the hex wrenches and stuff it comes with for maintenance.  You also need to throw out the fan duct it comes with and print out a half circle one.  I printed a spool holder that sits on top of the unit to save space, but I think I want to re-design it a bit as I bumped into it and cracked it a bit.  I also printed a cover for the Arduino as it just sits there.  If you decide to get one I have links.  ;)

In terms of the power supply, it would aid in heating the bed faster (takes about 5 min to heat up) but it seems to be optional. 

There are a few things that aren't in the instructions that you need to do as well, like isolate the power wires and sensor wires to the heat bed and zip-tie them in place, ect.  I've learned that from half a year of trial and error. 

05SRT4

• Online Online
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2017, 02:18:22 am »
Honestly seeing some of your guys prints made with this printer are comparable to my 700$ one. I think once you get the settings dialed in the quality is really good.

And I feel we probably spent the same amount of time testing and tinkering.

I ordered a couple rolls of Black PLA from AMZ3d for 16 bucks Prime free shipping. For the Price the filament print really well.

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2017, 03:22:40 am »
Not my work but a lad at work brought this into work to show us the other day:

He had printed it on his new 3D printer, Thought it was pretty damn good!

I must admit i kind of fancy getting one to play with but will have to wait till the new year I think.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:32 am »
Someone print me up some display stands for my handhelds
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2071731
I has monies

05SRT4

• Online Online
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2017, 11:12:01 am »
Someone print me up some display stands for my handhelds
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2071731
I has monies

Sent you a PM

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2017, 04:08:45 pm »
Ok, I took the plunge.

05SRT4

• Online Online
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2017, 05:13:37 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2017, 05:20:07 pm »
My latest print:

17 hours or so on my $200 TEVO Tarantula

05SRT4

• Online Online
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2017, 06:29:16 pm »
I moved my printers out to the garage.

Finishing up parts for the PVC cock pit.

Almost done with Thomas's docks

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2017, 03:24:12 pm »
I backed the CUBIBOT kickstarter, hope I don't regret it and may be joining you guys in this thread in a few months (plus the usual kickstarter delay  ::))

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/99671519/cubibot-the-new-standard-of-modern-consumer-3d-pri?ref=nav_search

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2017, 03:42:32 pm »
Ive spent the last week researching and toying with the idea of getting a 3D printer.

Ive decided ime going to take the plunge in the new year and buy one to play with!

Think ime going to get a Creality CR10 mini.
They seem pretty good for the money.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2017, 04:00:34 pm »
I backed the CUBIBOT kickstarter, hope I don't regret it and may be joining you guys in this thread in a few months (plus the usual kickstarter delay  ::))

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/99671519/cubibot-the-new-standard-of-modern-consumer-3d-pri?ref=nav_search

I looked at that, but I wanted something a bit more robust. Let us know how it goes.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2017, 04:04:52 pm »

I looked at that, but I wanted something a bit more robust. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah 5x5x5 is kinda small, but it has nice features at that price point.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2017, 04:18:02 pm »
5x5x5 is really small considering it is measured in vapor units. Kickstarter. pfffft.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2017, 04:20:29 pm »
I agree but I Can always crazy glue eheh

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2017, 04:50:59 pm »
I agree but I Can always crazy glue eheh

Like I said, keep us posted.

My kit is somewhere on the waves, out in the majestic Pacific....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2017, 07:16:49 pm »
Hey instead of putting money into kickstarter why just send it to me instead?  You'll still get absolutely nothing in return, but at least I'll donate it to a charity or something.