Main > Everything Else

So ... 3d Printers....

<< < (276/277) > >>

Ond:
I've not had a good week.  It doesn't really matter why.  *sigh* Anyway, I'm thinking of buying me my very own 3D printer!  I watched a Creality K1 working at speed in the shop the other day, very impressive!  A bit pricey though, so I think I'll get me a V3 KE.  They seem to be the best value for money. Has anyone got one?  Are they good? Alternatives?

RandyT:

--- Quote from: Ond on March 18, 2024, 11:38:43 pm ---I've not had a good week.  It doesn't really matter why.  *sigh* Anyway, I'm thinking of buying me my very own 3D printer!  I watched a Creality K1 working at speed in the shop the other day, very impressive!  A bit pricey though, so I think I'll get me a V3 KE.  They seem to be the best value for money. Has anyone got one?  Are they good? Alternatives?

--- End quote ---

I don't own one, but the V3 KE seems decent considering the price.  The important bed-slinger upgrades, like auto-bed-leveling, direct extruder and dual-z-axis drive are already there.  Those alone represent over $100 in add-ons for one of their lower tier offerings.  There are other niceties, like Klipper out-of-the-box and the slide rails as well, although the value of those things depends on your usage profile.  Klipper can improve the appearance of parts printed at high speeds, but if appearance is important, slower speeds almost always yield a better result, especially where materials other than PLA are concerned.  And the value of the rails is also a bit controversial.  They add weight, but also rigidity to the beam and are less likely to wear out over long and hard use.  That stated, the regular wheels are very accurate, durable (when not overtigthened) and are dirt cheap and easy to replace if ever necessary.

Normally, I would shy away from units with special nozzles.  However, since this is a Creality machine, I suspect that they will be supported for a reasonable time to come, and it helps that there are several models which use the same nozzle design.  Just be aware that they are a consumable and that they cost more than the typical nozzles, so you'll likely be tempted to try to fix one (often times unsuccessfully) rather than tossing it and using a new one.  Just factor in the cost of the replacements and have plenty on the shelf so you won't need to in a pinch.

But the consensus seems to be that they are decent machines, and Creality has a reasonably good track record compared to other brands. So for the price, and more importantly what you get for it, I think it's something I would buy as a first 3D printer as someone who has already been exposed to them and intends to use it productively.

Ond:
Thanks for the info Randy, I ended buying the Creality V3 KE. My discount to myself was generous  :lol

Reprinted a few parts for my project with some improvements.  I'm happy with the results:

RandyT:

--- Quote from: Ond on April 23, 2024, 08:06:20 pm ---Thanks for the info Randy, I ended buying the Creality V3 KE. My discount to myself was generous  :lol

Reprinted a few parts for my project with some improvements.  I'm happy with the results:

--- End quote ---

Spiffy!  So, on the webs, did you tweak some things to deposit like that or were there more manual artistic shenanigans used?

Ond:

--- Quote from: RandyT on April 24, 2024, 04:57:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: Ond on April 23, 2024, 08:06:20 pm ---Thanks for the info Randy, I ended buying the Creality V3 KE. My discount to myself was generous  :lol

--- End quote ---

Spiffy!  So, on the webs, did you tweak some things to deposit like that or were there more manual artistic shenanigans used?

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that web print is as per the mesh that I designed:

Basically started with circles and line type objects and injected several noise modifiers to get the look.

Something interesting is extracting game meshes, smoothing them into high-res models, then outputting to STL for printing. A complex mesh would best be divided up into several parts to reduce supporting structures and printing complexity. Here's an example I extracted just for fun (legalities aside  :) - Armor frame from Fallout 4:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version