Main > Everything Else

So ... 3d Printers....

<< < (256/258) > >>

pbj:
Outside dimensions should be 4.5" tall by 2.75" wide.  I wouldn't make it more than 1/8" thick from outside to inside edge.  And 5/16" tall.  I'll try to get some more precise measurements.

:cheers:

HaRuMaN:

--- Quote from: pbj on May 18, 2022, 10:49:00 am ---Outside dimensions should be 4.5" tall by 2.75" wide.  I wouldn't make it more than 1/8" thick from outside to inside edge.  And 5/16" tall.  I'll try to get some more precise measurements.

:cheers:

--- End quote ---

Ok cool

BadMouth:
Made some progress, but still not pushing plastic yet.

The wiring to the toolheads that I had planned to use was too droopy to work as an umbilical.  After weighing options and wanting to try something not seen before, I ordered a length of 20 conductor motion rated cable from Igus (part no. CF9-02-20).  24awg covers everything but the hotend heater, but there are enough conductors to double up two pairs for the hotend.  I knew the thickness ahead of time ( around 9mm), but it's not quite as flexible as I'd hoped.  It should still be fine with a decent size arch.  I wouldn't use it on anything less rigid than the Voron setup for fear of it making the toolhead flex out of alignment.  In retrospect, multiple runs of simple stranded CAT6 is probably the better way to go.  This is top quality wire though.  Lots of strands and strong. 

I looked at PCBs for toolhead connections, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.  Started to mock some things up with generic prototyping boards and realized that what I had in mind was possible without any pcb.  Soldering all those pins took a while, but wasn't too bad.  There isn't much plastic where the male pin passes through, so they would go all wonky when soldering.  Plugging in the connector while soldering kept them in place.   There wasn't nearly as much room for excess wire as I had pictured in my mind, but it fits.  I am still making some design decisions about the cap.

Also made some progress on the chamber heater.  I decided to violate my own rules and have the fans be software controlled.  Otherwise they will either run constantly or only run while the heater is on, meaning they would shut on and off as the heater cycles on and off.  To mitigate the danger of the heater getting out of control, it is held in place by metal parts and has a 120 degree thermal fuse attached to the outside fin.  I may switch to a lower temp fuse, but that is what I had on hand.  Basic idea is that the fans pull air from the edges of the chamber and push it through the heater in the center.  I still need to cut the deck to accommodate the intakes and heater.

Next time around I'll get the toolheads wired so IDEX tinkering will be back on the menu....which is the whole point of this project anyway. 

BadMouth:
I was hoping to have a cooler print to demonstrate with, but I'm short on time and won't be able to work on this again until next week.
This is just a test to see if the printer will work the way I intend to use it; using the second toolhead exclusively for support material (currently HIPS filament).

Getting to this point was straightforward enough that I didn't expect the start routines and tool changes to be so much of a PITA.  Cura automatically inserts gcode to switch toolheads before my start macro, which is annoying because Klipper will refuse to switch toolheads if the printer hasn't been homed.  If Cura would put it after the start gcode where it belongs, several problems would go away.  (only the first toolhead has a sensor for bed leveling).   I added some stuff to the start macro to temporarily switch to the first toolhead if the second one is active, but for some reason it doesn't behave correctly in all situations.
I could manually change the gcode for every print, but don't consider that or postprocessing scripts to be acceptable solutions.

There are other problems like Klipper only allows you to specify one part cooling fan, despite having two toolheads.  I can specify the second one as a generic fan, but am not sure the commands from Cura will register correctly.  I am sure there is a complex workaround, but for now I am using the multi_pin option in Klipper to run both fans as one.  I'd prefer to get it working as simply as possible before adding layers of complexity.  That's also why I've stayed away from forked builds of Klipper.  I'd rather get it working as good as possible with the standard build first.

RandyT:
Very nice!   But man, those extruder swaps definitely need to be moving in tandem.  I would think that two motors on the same axis, with the same feed rate and direction with differing destination points, should never result in a conflict.  Or is this just a safe test?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version