Main > Everything Else

So ... 3d Printers....

<< < (230/256) > >>

bobbyb13:
It's all very cool stuff.

I would be an absolute menace if I had space, time and $$ for one.
 :)

RandyT:

--- Quote from: bobbyb13 on January 24, 2022, 12:57:30 pm ---I realize that you gents are early adopters of this stuff and it is still evolving, but given tech pace these days one would assume it would be farther along in ease of setup/use/reliability.

--- End quote ---

The tech is about as evolved as it's ever going to get.  It's a low tech basis of operation, with a high tech layer applied over the top.  In other words, it's a glue gun (73 year old tech) with automation to mostly provide fine control of position and extrusion rates.

The problem with the whole process is not the automation parts, as much as it is with the glue gun portion.  Melting and extruding various different types of plastics, each with their own properties, even varying within plastic types, creates an ever changing target which requires skill and experience to hit with any sort of regularity.

The best you can hope to do without jumping in with both feet, is to try to spend your way into the hobby with expensive machines and using only filaments approved and sold by the machine's vendor.  Even that is fraught with potential issues related to head clogging and parts failure, which owners usually have to address themselves.

SLA is the future of 3D printing.  Resins are constantly evolving and eventually we may see very strong parts with fast cure times and simple cleanup.  Until then, it just is what it is.

yotsuya:
Still planning to build a Voron, but a much bigger purchase took the funds I had set aside for it. I still wanted a upgraded experience, so I took the plunge and ordered a Prusa MK3S+ kit. Iíll use that to print my Voron parts. Iíve had great fun with the Anet, but Iíve taken it as far as it can go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadMouth:

--- Quote from: BadMouth on January 24, 2022, 10:19:18 am ---
--- Quote from: Mike A on January 24, 2022, 09:54:05 am ---Do those ---smurfing--- printers ever work?

--- End quote ---

The Voron 2.4 has actually not had any issues other than stinking up the house.

--- End quote ---

I spoke too soon.  The silicone wire for the proximity sensor broke internally in the middle, presumably from being rolled and unrolled inside the drag chain so many times.  This sent the nozzle crashing into the bed several random times and a few more times while diagnosing. Wasted over half a day figuring out the problem and running new wires.

The sensor is normally closed and opens when triggered which should have prevented a crash. I dunno.

It never F-ing ends.

BadMouth:

--- Quote from: yotsuya on February 01, 2022, 04:27:42 pm ---Still planning to build a Voron, but a much bigger purchase took the funds I had set aside for it. I still wanted a upgraded experience, so I took the plunge and ordered a Prusa MK3S+ kit. Iíll use that to print my Voron parts. Iíve had great fun with the Anet, but Iíve taken it as far as it can go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
The good thing with Prusa is that a lot of the guesswork with materials is removed.

Honestly if I already had a Prusa, I would invest in the multi material attachment instead of building a Voron.  With an enclosure and dissolvable support material, it could print just about anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version