Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Well crap, now my joystick IDs are shuffling around as well.  (Read 2603 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Well crap, now my joystick IDs are shuffling around as well.
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:09:36 pm »
Yeah so I about finished my setup on the racing rig and after months it's decided to throw the wheel to ID #2.  For nearly every game this isn't a big deal except, yup, outrun 2006.

Would anyone have any info on how windows 10 selects the joystick order?  If I know what is changing it I'll write an app to automate the shuffling process. 

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Well crap, now my joystick IDs are shuffling around as well.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 01:07:24 am »
only fix i found was using a usb hub

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:31:17 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 02:46:44 am »
Enumeration is done by order in the device chain - First USB device to come will be #1.

A hub is actually a great idea.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:08:53 am »
Did they change the way device enumeration works from Windows 7 to 10? I know the plugging in by order trick is *VERY* spotty and hit or miss on 7.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:03:33 pm »
As I said in another thread.

They have hubs with switches on them so you can just turn the switches on in order instead of plugging and unplugging...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-Port-USB-3-0-Hub-On-Off-Switches-AC-Power-Adapter-Cable-for-PC-Laptop-/191539198753?hash=item2c98a03b21:g:Wa0AAOSwX~dWrGJu

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-Hub-4-Port-On-Off-Switches-AC-Power-Adapter-Cable-for-PC-Laptop-/112204651234?hash=item1a1feb1ae2:g:FPwAAOSwPCVYAb3X

You could also try this piece of software...

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13009

None of those solutions work. I've tired them numerous times over the years(yes that includes the program you linked to). I'd be very interested in hearing if the usb plugging in by order trick works for either Howard or Boomslang, hub or no hub

This is precisely the reason why I'm using GIMX, and no longer have to deal this crap anymore. The whole Device ID situation has driven me up the ---smurfing--- wall for YEARS!!!! To think that Micro$oft still hasn't addressed this issue in 10, is a shame. Well that's Micro$oft for ya.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:07:00 pm by isamu »

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 12:44:12 pm »
Using a hub with switches works fine for me, so I don't know what to tell you. Granted I'm using it for game pads not wheels and accessories so maybe that's the difference.

GIMX sounds cool but seems complicated.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 01:17:00 pm »
Yeah so I about finished my setup on the racing rig and after months it's decided to throw the wheel to ID #2.  For nearly every game this isn't a big deal except, yup, outrun 2006.

Would anyone have any info on how windows 10 selects the joystick order?  If I know what is changing it I'll write an app to automate the shuffling process.

Just curious Howard what kind of equipment are you running?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 05:22:42 pm »
Using something like Vjoy with UJR or the newer UCR is also an option, perhaps. The first Vjoy device you create *always* comes first in the list on Win7, and I imagine would do the same in Win 10. It can make configuring some games interesting, but Vjoy has a feeder app, and for Outrun it should work perfectly regardless.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 05:25:23 pm »
Well I actually use a hub for that very reason and for months it has kept the proper order... and now it isn't.  I have an old GT wheel and a teensy 2.0 that's handling all my arcade buttons, speedo, yoke axis and ect. 

The only thing I can think of is the teensy shows up as a composite device, but it's never been an issue before.  I recently reprogrammed it to allow for the offsets used in the star wars yoke (the pot doesn't turn the whole way). 

Anyway, I can't (easily) work on it now.  I had it in the living room and the tree is now up, so I'm out of space. 

The device chain doesn't seem to effect the joystick order.... I suppose some registry fudging might help, so I'll look into that later.