Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Just getting started  (Read 3079 times)

JoeSchmoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 04:28:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Just getting started
« on: November 20, 2016, 03:22:00 pm »
Hi guys.

Been doing a bunch of research here and there. Seeing what kind of cabinets others made up and the requirements to do it.

A few concerns I have. One is the common design of making them not as deep compared to the typical since they use flat panels. Also since it saves floor space.  Then add things like the large control panels in front. Since I live in earthquakeland I am always concerned about things tipping over and hurting someone.

Because there is likely going to be a need to disassemble/reassemble the cabinet I am considering building it with something like capnuts/plates embedded into the side panels and elsewhere from the exterior, covered over, and bolting it down from the inside. Would mean no glue. Certainly that will require a bit more complicated framework inside. If enough of them were used, without glue, how strong would that be in terms of shifting etc over the long term?

All the guts will be an interesting project in itself. Needs functionality but also easily taken apart into sections and put back together.

Thx.

edit: Ok I didnt search well enough first and the insert idea already discussed recently.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:26:00 pm by JoeSchmoe »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Just getting started
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 06:18:32 am »
If you are going to have to move this around more than once or twice, a full blown cabinet might not be ideal for you. Maybe consider a pedestal or a control panel with a pc or pi inside. They would be portable without disassembly.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 02:06:30 pm »
Depends on how slim of a design your going for and how front/top heavy you're making it. Make sure you position casters as far apart as you can. My base 25 * 18.50 with casters roughly 16" deep has good stability. I see others at 16" deep, 72" high with large control panels and to me this could present a problem. Others offset this by making sure the cabinet base is heavy enough to help with stability.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 03:01:32 pm »
Actually, after rereading the original post, the problem might not be the stability of the cabinet but the ground under it ??? In that case, I got nuthin :)

JoeSchmoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 05:51:10 pm »
I've been doing a lot more searching to see the kinds of things others came up with in relation to their requirements and I agree a pedestal-like design with a reasonably sized base would work out best for space requirements. There are some very creative people out there. I visualized a thinner but standard sized arcade cab in different places and its just too big. Starting to play around with it in blender to see what I come up with.

It does present some interesting things to consider for access to the internal components. Another thought that came to mind, if possible with a front end, is with a design such as this to include a touch screen for basic navigation. That will certainly add to the cost quite a bit for a decent sized screen but would be good for kids that have been raised on pads. Read a little about usb overlays on plexiglass but they seem pretty pricey as well.

edit: On second thought I dont want an iCab.  :lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 02:32:26 pm by JoeSchmoe »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 03:06:42 pm »

edit: On second thought I dont want an iCab. 

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JoeSchmoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 04:07:39 pm »
Im learning about different items required for various ideas for what it should look like. Some are out in left field. Anyone use lighted bendable tubes? Probably embedded behind some plexiglass so its flat. I figure its one of those general ideas plenty of others have already done. USB powered connected to the rest would be cool but I expect the power requirements are just too high.

edit: Ok I see posts about that. I really should be searching more first before posting.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:09:49 pm by JoeSchmoe »