Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Software for GP-wiz49 or Ledwiz?  (Read 5394 times)

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Software for GP-wiz49 or Ledwiz?
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:36:51 pm »
Anyone know if there's any way to dynamically switch the mode on a GP-wiz49 on a Raspberry Pi? Same goes for a ledwiz. Any thoughts?
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
Re: Software for GP-wiz49 or Ledwiz?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 03:49:44 am »
I wrote a python script to pass value values (255,255,255,4) to the ledwiz. I think it'll work. I'll be testing it on the actual hardware sometime this week I imagine. I really want to... just don't know when I'll have the time... gotta move a lot of hardware around. It required that I installed pyusb, which isn't tough once you have the commands, and libusb is already installed on retropie, though I think I attempted to install it anyway.

I researched  the GPwiz49 on RPi. While I'm guessing that I could pass control values to it like I'm trying with the ledwiz, I've read that whatever handles the joystick calibration in retropie (or whatever crap under the hood) can't handle the GPwiz49 0-254 range. It expects a negative-positive value range (-127  to 127+) instead of the positive only values the ledwiz passes... so it might be dead in the water as something to use on a Pi.  Which sucks. Too bad too, as one GPwiz49 could drive my whole panel

reference: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,70738.msg725497.html#msg725497
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:35:28 am by mahuti »

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:21:16 pm »
The script for the ledwiz mostly works. I'm not yet able to target the lights correctly... got something wrong with the structure of the command i'm sending, but at least they're talking.

I think realistically I'll probably be able to figure out how to light up specific controls with specific games by making a bunch of these scripts, but I doubt I'll spend much more time than that. Still, I only have a limited number of games so....

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 03:55:18 pm »
I managed to figure out how to color specific lights. I talked to the guy that handles RGBcommander. He's expressed interest in incorporating Ledwiz support, so I'm sharing my findings with him. I'll post back when I know more.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 12:51:43 pm »
Gijsbrecht over at RGB commander is building in support for ledwiz32. He has a working prototype that I've tested sothat is good news.

Because GPwiz49 passes 8-bit data, it can't be calibrated in Linux, which I guess uses 16 bit info for positioning. I tried lots of stuff, including mapping controls to xboxdrv. Nothing worked. So for now GPWIZ49 is dead on Linux.

UPDATE: After many years, I returned to the GPWiz49 on the Raspberry Pi, and figured out there is a simple fix for the weird behavior of the joystick.

1. Create or edit file /etc/modprobe.d/usbhid.conf to add the following:

Code: [Select]
options usbhid quirks=0xFAFA:0x0007:0x00000020,0xFAFA:0x0008:0x00000020
2. Add the following hid quirk (with a space after any existing items) to the /boot/cmdline.txt:

Code: [Select]
usbhid.quirks=0xFAFA:0x0007:0x00000020,0xFAFA:0x0008:0x00000020
Once the HID Quirks have been added, it just needs to get configured in Emulationstation controller set up. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:49:32 pm by mahuti »

WoodChucksCNC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2019, 03:37:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 02:42:23 am »
So I am guessing that there is some special code that I will need to get my GP-wiz40 to work on the Pi? I have emailed the company twice and they do not respond.
www.woodchuckscnc.com

Thanks

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 02:01:26 pm »
I have a GPWiz40 with Roto-x from 2013. Slightly different than the current version, but probably has the same onboard software/ids. I'll plug it in and see what happens. I'd guess it should work fine after it's configured in EmulationStation.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 03:32:30 pm »
So I tested my GPWiz40 Roto, and it worked fine. I configured it in EmulationStation, and was off to the races.

As far as the roto-x support, there's no software (that I'm aware of) to adjust the speed of the Roto-X stuff on linux or do anything that the windows software does, but I think you should be able to adjust sensitivity in Mame. I haven't tested this part, but the key presses worked as expected, 3 buttons were sent in the correct order when I spun the LS-30 clockwise and counter-clockwise.

I have a panel already set up with the GPWiz & an LS-30. It used to be attached to a machine that used to have Windows (but only has a PI these days). So, I have a testing unit that I can hook up and on the Pi if you need any more info. It only takes a few moments to do so.

If you haven't tried configuring it in emulation station first, then I'd suggest you do that. If that doesn't work, I can tell you how to test in Linux to see if it's even recognized. If you have a PC, and it works on that, then (other than possibly the rotary control) the rest of the encoder should work fine on a Pi.

I have emailed the company twice and they do not respond.

I get this on and off with them on questions that can't be answered easily. Usually they eventually get back to me, but occasionally it takes a long while.  If you get desperate, Randy posts on this board from time to time. You could try PMing him if I can't help you further.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:35:00 pm by mahuti »

WoodChucksCNC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 08:57:10 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at Emulation Station right now and see if I can figure it out. A few of the buttons worked but, man it has been a week or so since I looked at it. The GPWiz worked fine on Windows machine. I am new to the Pi and the arcade stuff. I am just using two sticks and a total of 18 buttons in a bartop that I made.

Thanks and I will let you know what happens.

WoodChucksCNC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:27:44 pm »
OK so I tried looking in Retroarch and found the input. It sees the GPWiz and I can map the buttons but if I try to map either joystick it crashes and takes me back to the Retropi screen.
Do you have any extra power going to the GPWiz? do you just have it plugged into USB on the Pi?
I am lost on this setup.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 02:04:00 am »
I have a Pi2 and a Pi3 and it has worked on both along with other controllers and a keyboard. I don't have any extra power going to the GPWiz, it's just plugged in via USB straight into the Pi. The setup *should* be dead simple. The crashing makes me wonder about a few things.

Do you have your Pi over clocked?

I have run it on both standard, and over clocked and it's worked fine. My Pi2 is not over clocked and the 3 is.

Are you running an image you downloaded off the net? Or are you running the Pi with your own installs?

Just for reference about power consumption, I have one machine with a keyboard, a zero-delay, a led-wiz with about 6 lights hooked up and an ultrastik all plugged straight into the pi with no issues with crashing. I leave the Pi running day and night.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 02:04:22 am »
Also, where did you purchase your power supply from?

WoodChucksCNC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 11:47:55 pm »
My power supply came with the Pi in the Rasberry Pi media kit. I have tried two different 128GB images(Hyperpi and Reys). Maybe I should try a stand alone small image? Let me look for a small image and give it a go. I am also using a wireless keyboard with a dongle and a PS3 controller so I can maneuver around.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 12:05:22 am »
Try Floob's image. There are no Roms or Snaps or those kinds of files on it, but it's a decent start for AttractMode and only a few GB. I used that as a basis for mine then added all of my roms and such. You can find it linked in the AttractMode forums.

If you use it, remember to expand it to the capacity of your card or you won't be able to transfer files to it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the megalithic images out there. Too much crap. I used a combination of my favorites, along with a list here of All Killer No Filler Mame games to fill it out. It was a pain curating everything, but in the end I'm a lot happier with the end result. Still, I have to admit, it took a long time and a lot of work to get it where I wanted it to be.

You may want to make sure that the over clocking setup on your images isn't jacked up too high. Some of the Pis can take major over clocking... others, not so much. It depends on the Pi, just like it does for a standard processor.

I haven't bought any of the Pi kits (why I don't know... just didn't). I get the Canakit power supplies from Amazon. They seem to work well. I've heard of underpowered supplies causing some major problems, and over clocking too much can cause some major problems with stability as well. Floobs image doesn't have any over clocking out of the box, I can't speak to the other images.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:09:55 am by mahuti »

WoodChucksCNC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 07:48:03 am »
I will look for the Floob image and give it a try. this evening.

WoodChucksCNC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 06:29:51 pm »
I did try two more images and neither one would see the joystick inputs. I guess my GPWiz is not so much a Wiz.
My brother purchased a different product and it has worked on all 5 images that we have.
He had to edit a config file but at least it had assistance from the manufacturer. I will go and purchase one of them and give up on the GPWiz.

Thanks for all of your attempts to help.