Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mega Man and Duck Tales (woo hoo)  (Read 42186 times)

Wyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 09:22:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Duck Tales (Woo Hoo) and Mega Man
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2017, 09:54:17 am »
This is looking very nice.

Have you ever played "Mega Man: The Wily Wars"? It's like Mario All-Stars but it's the first 3 Mega mans ported to the Genesis.

No I Havent! I just googled it...

Looks cool....totally like a Genesis game.

I'd like to get all these games on this cab.  Looks like I may have to go the PC route this time...although I'm designing the CPO to work like a Nintendo controller. Hmm.

sokignano

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2022, 01:52:41 pm
Re: Mega Man and Duck Tales (woo hoo)
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2017, 10:13:19 am »
Wyo,

You can run a bit of software like Recalbox or Retropie for the Raspberry Pi Zero. 5 Bucks for board (PC) 5 bucks for the micro sd card and another 5 bucks for a usb controller. Heck I have three of them at the house. If your interested I can send you one of the Pi Zeroes :) I can probably program it too in a weekend. :)

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2017, 02:03:03 pm »
Wyo,
W
You can run a bit of software like Recalbox or Retropie for the Raspberry Pi Zero. 5 Bucks for board (PC) 5 bucks for the micro sd card and another 5 bucks for a usb controller. Heck I have three of them at the house. If your interested I can send you one of the Pi Zeroes :) I can probably program it too in a weekend. :)

sounds great....but I don't know what any of that means! Haha.  For what exactly? For the games or to make the lights work with the music?

As far as a brain for this project, I tought about putting a retro pie in this cab....but Mega Man X Street Fighter is a .exe file....and As far as I've heard, it doesn't run .exe files.  I really want that game in this project.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I googled it.  Cool, so it's like retro pie...or an op system/front end for retro games. I eventually want to do this for all my nintendo cabs...including ZELDA.  Much more reliable.  Just bummed it doesn't run an exe for MM.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:39:15 pm by Wyo »

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2017, 02:13:38 pm »
Wyo,
W

sounds great....but I don't know what any of that means! Haha.  For what exactly? For the games or to make the lights work with the music?

As far as a brain for this project, I tought about putting a retro pie in this cab....but Mega Man X Street Fighter is a .exe file....and As far as I've heard, it doesn't run .exe files.  I really want that game in this project.

Thanks for your help!

Woah, never heard of megaman x street fighter. Just watched the trailer, and I must play.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2017, 02:33:22 pm »
Wyo,
W

Thanks for your help!

Woah, never heard of megaman x street fighter. Just watched the trailer, and I must play.

Yeah. AH. MAH. ZING!

That's how I spent my Christmas Day 2016. We only got as far as Vega though....he's so hard! We missed some E tanks tough...so make sure you get them all.  I guess you can unlock secret battles too...like Acuma.  Such a badass game...deserves its own cab! 

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2017, 08:14:29 pm »
I vote that you scrap both of these beautiful, well thought out ideas and make a cab for the greatest Capcom NES game.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2017, 02:54:28 am »
 ;D Don't you tempt me. I love pizza.

I see a cheese and pepperoni topped control panel, red chrome trim, red buttons and black olive joystick....

Please stop me now. Haha

nintendoid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2024, 03:49:20 pm
    • Nintendoid
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:31 am »

I had a new idea tonight for a third design while running on the treadmill....and I think Im leaning heavily towards it.  In the begining I wanted to capture the mechanical aspect of the robots...I thought about using gears or soemthing in the artwork, but then I thought about using PCB traces.  I thought it would look really cool cut out of blue embossed chrome foil...so I came up with this third design tonight. I like it because I can use the trace elements on the CPO as well for the buttons. 

Personally think this is the way to go... however I personally dont like the duplicate Megaman, have you thought of changing it for Roll or Rush (The dog)? Obviously you have Forte, Protoman but Roll or Rush would be good compromise?!?

Also not to the standard this cabinet requires but always thought of this as a Ninty arcade sideart
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:05:19 am by nintendoid »

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:42 am »
Thanks, yeah...the PCB trace design is the direction I'm taking the Bezel and Ive incorporated it into the CPO as well.  It should look good with the sky blue chrome embossing. I'm taking this cab in a monochromatic direction, with different blue values and textures.  Duck Tales is going to be colorful....I imagine iit to look like a treasure chest.

I did see that Mega Man 2 art while doing my research.  It looks awesome, I like it a lot. It looks like it could fit in perfectly with the games of that period...but a little to DK Jr.  I am going to use  the original Famicom Rockman group shot for the side art.  I still need to vector it.  I didnt add Rush because ai don't think he came along until MM3? I'm using just MM one characters.  Otherwise I definitely would have.

And as far as the duplicate MM on the bezel....I agree.  I started vectoring another similar looking MM in a different pose and will replace one of them.  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:24:52 am by Wyo »

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2017, 09:49:57 am »
Just a bezel update.  Still need to add Mega Mans in the corner....probably move "Bombman" to the left side of Bombman.  98% done.

And here is my CPO.  I'm pretty happy with it.  I wanted to use all the bosses since I went to the trouble of vectoring the artwork....I was worried it would be to much but I'm happy with the composition.  Like the bezel, the light blue will be light blue chrome. I'm thinking dark blue/light blue/white? controls? I like using Happ style buttons...and they don't make a light blue...so I may try dying white ones....never done that before, so we'll see how that goes.  I remember a member on here had good luck dying yellow buttons for his Fix It Felix.

Starting tomorrow on the side art.  I'm assuming it will be blue with the grid in the background, and the Rockman artwork with MM and all the bosses.  We shall see.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:57:19 am by Wyo »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2017, 09:57:59 am »
are you going to release any of the vector art you did for any of your cabs for others to use?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2017, 11:27:42 am »
are you going to release any of the vector art you did for any of your cabs for others to use?

+1

You can post the AI files as an image.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:13 pm »
Possibly after everything is finished and built by the summer time.  I still have work to do on LOZ.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:15:57 pm by Wyo »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »
Just a bezel update.  Still need to add Mega Mans in the corner....probably move "Bombman" to the left side of Bombman.  98% done.

And here is my CPO.  I'm pretty happy with it.  I wanted to use all the bosses since I went to the trouble of vectoring the artwork....I was worried it would be to much but I'm happy with the composition.  Like the bezel, the light blue will be light blue chrome. I'm thinking dark blue/light blue/white? controls? I like using Happ style buttons...and they don't make a light blue...so I may try dying white ones....never done that before, so we'll see how that goes.  I remember a member on here had good luck dying yellow buttons for his Fix It Felix.

Starting tomorrow on the side art.  I'm assuming it will be blue with the grid in the background, and the Rockman artwork with MM and all the bosses.  We shall see.
I think you should flip elecman and bombman on the bezel.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2017, 01:24:11 pm »
You're right. Great catch! Thanks!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2017, 05:43:20 pm »
Love that CP great job :)

Not sure about the light blue buttons though.

Think the standard Happ blue and white would fit better.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2017, 12:37:39 pm »
Here is the side art for Mega Man with a mock up blue chrome embossed look, and the complete art package.  I just need to design the above CPO instruction sticker and coin sticker.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:17:14 pm by Wyo »

sokignano

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2022, 01:52:41 pm
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2017, 03:40:14 pm »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2017, 03:42:54 pm »
I mean, it looks good, but Mega Man is so freaking overdone.  I read once that there were over 100 Mega Man games and no definitive list existed. 

:dunno

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »
I mean, what can I say other than everybody loves mega man.  I know I do.  It's high in my top 5 NES games of all time; that's why I enjoy this build.  Thanks for your input.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2017, 05:53:25 pm »
I mean, what can I say other than everybody loves mega man.  I know I do.  It's high in my top 5 NES games of all time; that's why I enjoy this build.  Thanks for your input.

Yup. This should sell quickly when you finish it.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2017, 06:10:07 pm »

Im an Artist man, it's what I educated myself in....it's what I do for a living....It's literally how I put food in my mouth.  I also happen to love the creativity of this hobby. 

I would think you, as an Artist yourself would get that....I've read your guide in the art section about properly paying an artist for there time. Does this not apply to me as well?

If I decide to sell it, it's my literally my choice.  Should I stop documenting the process because I *may* sell it?

Lots of BYOAC members sell there work when they are done...to fund the next.  What's the problem....or am I misinterpreting the tone of your post?  Because I'm picking up some negative energy man....

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2017, 06:35:54 pm »
No problem here, I just assumed you build these things to sell anyways? They do have a certain commercial quality to them that it's only natural to put them up for bucks.

I'm always giving advice to people to do the right thing for both functional comfort of gaming, as well as resale. People think that their builds are going to stay with them forever. Which is rarely the case.  People put so much personal preference into their builds and forget that at some point in their lives they may need to offload them. 
Personally I've offloaded most of my projects, and while it was sad to see them go, I knew I couldn't keep them all around forever (space is a major problem on the west coast).

You said "everybody loves mega man". I replied "it should sell quickly".
Not much else to say other than it's turning out great looking! I dig the art...   though if I were you, I'd clean up the lines on the sideart a bit more. Try some varying line widths, especially for the inside lines of each character. Right now all the lines are evenly sized and it makes the whole image look thick and blotchy.  Keep the outlines that thickness, but the detail lines could be a few pixels lighter.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2017, 06:40:21 pm »

Im an Artist man, it's what I educated myself in....it's what I do for a living....It's literally how I put food in my mouth.  I also happen to love the creativity of this hobby. 

I would think you, as an Artist yourself would get that....I've read your guide in the art section about properly paying an artist for there time. Does this not apply to me as well?

If I decide to sell it, it's my literally my choice.  Should I stop documenting the process because I *may* sell it?

Lots of BYOAC members sell there work when they are done...to fund the next.  What's the problem....or am I misinterpreting the tone of your post?  Because I'm picking up some negative energy man....

I feel like I have that in common with you. I see each build as an art project. If you're going to build a cab why not be original and add the creative flair to it.

Once I have the accomplishment of the creation, it actually makes me happy to see my work go to someone who will use it and cherish it. It's the dopest feelin'.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
No problem here, I just assumed you build these things to sell anyways? They do have a certain commercial quality to them that it's only natural to put them up for bucks.

I'm always giving advice to people to do the right thing for both functional comfort of gaming, as well as resale. People think that their builds are going to stay with them forever. Which is rarely the case.  People put so much personal preference into their builds and forget that at some point in their lives they may need to offload them. 
Personally I've offloaded most of my projects, and while it was sad to see them go, I knew I couldn't keep them all around forever (space is a major problem on the west coast).

You said "everybody loves mega man". I replied "it should sell quickly".
Not much else to say other than it's turning out great looking! I dig the art...   though if I were you, I'd clean up the lines on the sideart a bit more. Try some varying line widths, especially for the inside lines of each character. Right now all the lines are evenly sized and it makes the whole image look thick and blotchy.  Keep the outlines that thickness, but the detail lines could be a few pixels lighter.

Thanks for your constructive criticism, I appreciate it.  I apologize if I over reacted and misread your post above.  I thought we were past page one of this build and thought this was going down that road again....so again, I apologize.  Always appreciate the art critique from you, as you were definitely right about the marquee on LOZ.  I didn't see it, so it's always good to have extra eyes for design.   :cheers:

IMO, This hobby is a lot like restoring a car, the journey is the best part.   I'm not necessarily making these to sell....but once they are done, I want to move on to something else.  So yeah, they may sell...they may not.  I'm good either way.  Like most of the repeat builders here on BYOAC, I just like making cool stuff. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:03:40 pm by Wyo »

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2017, 08:07:24 pm »

I feel like I have that in common with you. I see each build as an art project. If you're going to build a cab why not be original and add the creative flair to it.

Once I have the accomplishment of the creation, it actually makes me happy to see my work go to someone who will use it and cherish it. It's the dopest feelin'.

Absolutely! I sold my Pauline cab to a KLOVer in NEw Hampshire.  I absolutely hated to sell it...but I needed the money at the time as I was between gigs.  I didn't really make any money for my time on it...but seeing  the joy in his daughters face christmas morning....man, that was awesome.  I don't have kids....so seeing that, was pretty special. 

Also, that's why I'm glad to see you adding three dimensional slime to your Toxic build....just adds that extra "cool" and unique factor.   It's like a sculpture, I see it that way anyways.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2017, 01:04:10 am »
Like most of the repeat builders here on BYOAC, I just like making cool stuff. :)

Yep, my BYOAC builds aren't good enough to sell so I give most of them away. In fact I have only keep one for my self. Friends and family love getting them and I like making them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:14:48 am by Locke141 »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2017, 10:50:58 am »
Looking good so far! Not a huge fan of the end products functionality (playability?) but your workmanship and creativity are always top notch. Kudos to being great visual tributes to the originals.

Sorry dudes, Ive already said it a million times I'm the worst computer user ever.  I'd rather be up  and about doing something hands on.....then click, click, clicking away.  The less clicking in my life, the happier I am....so again...sorry.  However when I do design proofs professionally, know I always make jpgs.  Just lazy for my friends here, I guess.

---my bottom--- was literally numb from sitting for hours working on this art.  I don't know how you IT/computer genius guys do it. Better men than me.  :)

In addition to better quality, screen caps are actually way quicker and easier than what you're currently doing. Looks like you're on a PC, you have two ways...

Snipping Tool
  • Open the Snipping Tool. It has a scissor icon, you can search for it from Start menu
  • Select the type of snip you want to do (full screen, rectangular etc.) from the 'New' menu
  • It'll automatically prompt you to save
Print Screen/Paint
  • Hit the 'Print Screen' button
  • Open Paint and hit Ctrl-V or click the 'Paste' icon in upper left
  • Crop the image how you want (optional)
  • Click the disk icon upper left to save

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

bieberbox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2017, 01:27:00 am
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2017, 02:22:30 am »
Cool speaker grills, deffinetly going to use that in the future.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2017, 07:56:26 pm »
The weather has been amazing for the last two weeks, usually it's the coldest month.  I used to 60-70 degree weather to my advantage and built the cabs.

Tomorrow I will prime them both with Feather Fill, which is a high build polyester primer.   The weather is set to get colder after thursday.  The clear tubes are the hardner.  One shot (about 3-4 super wet coats) should level out the wood for a nice flat and smooth surface.  If you use this stuff, make sure to use a gun with a 1.8 to 2.0 tip, as it has a really low viscosity.  It can be slightly reduced with acetone.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:02:05 pm by Wyo »

Ophelius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2018, 08:15:42 pm
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2017, 04:46:46 am »
Two of my favorite capcom games. Can't wait to see the complete sets! Looks great so far!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2017, 06:26:50 am »
When do you cut the T-mold slot?

jimmyfloyd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2020, 12:30:21 pm
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2017, 09:36:43 am »
I'm just here to wait for the results. I spent a lot of time on Megaman and Duck Tales back in the day!

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2017, 12:04:47 pm »
great artwork 10/10 :cheers:

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2017, 08:23:26 pm »
When do you cut the T-mold slot?

I always cut them after I prime and block sand, to account for any extra thickness to make sure I get it centered.

I'm getting better habits this time around tho, such as cutting the coin door and back handle holes before I assemble.  Haha.

Thanks guys!

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2017, 06:51:04 am »
Both cabs are ready for paint....but I'm gonna wait until late spring/summer for that.

I started on the artwork fo DT.  My idea for the cab art, since the paint will be royal purple metallic, is to make the artwork really colorful...like the inside of Scrooge McDucks bank vault.  I want it to look like a treasure chest.  This artwork will be more DK3, Popeye style...and I want to incorporate gold chrome "Uncle Scrooge" coins peppered on the bezel and CPO as well as diamonds and stuff.

Here's the marquee so far.  I had to create the vault background /coins from scratch in illustrator.  I found some pretty high res images on line of the characters from the Duck Tales remastered game that came out a few years ago....so I didn't have to do much vectoring which should make this art go faster.  I did have to recreate Huey, loey, and duey here on the marquee tho (maybe Ill put a few coins in their hands/hats as well as up in the air to fill that right corner)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:01:51 am by Wyo »

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2017, 08:15:30 am »
Believe it or not, I've got about 20 hours into this bezel burning the midnight oil.  This is my third draft, 90% there. May move some things around at the top. Maybe I'll knock back the white stroke a bit...I don't know, I've been staring at this bezel to long. Haha.  Fresh eyes appreciated.

The plan is to continue the gold coins and jewels onto the control panel so it looks like it's flowing onto that flat surface.  The flat instead of dimensional coins at the top kinda bug me a little but I need them that big for the embossing...any smaller and Ill be committing suicide with the exacto instead..the bottom will be a nightmare I'm sure as it is. I think once the cpo is designed with coins and diamonds, it'll flow nice.  I will start on that design tomorrow.

My plan is to cut out all the yellow on the coins (leaving Scrooges face) and dollar vault sign...I will hate my life later....but I think it'll be worth it.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:36:32 am by Wyo »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2017, 08:52:50 am »
Looks perfect

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2017, 08:17:57 am »
Looked pretty cool (I agree with the less white stroke idea) until you put the two together then you have two very similar Scrooge McDucks right next to each other. he seems to fit that space best in the pose he's in on the bezel but maybe someone else?  Ms Beakly, Gyro..
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2017, 09:38:08 am »
Thanks guys for the input.  I did try Gyro and Mrs Beakly on the bezel...but it didn't seem to work.  I see what you're saying with the double Scrooges....Ill see what I can do.  I like that bouncing Scrooge illustration, so I definitely want to keep that.  Maybe I'll flip all the figures on the bezel to the opposite sides and see how that looks. Although, it kinda looks like Scrooge is standing in an upright position on the marquee and then bouncing towards the beagle boys as the coins rain down from the top....so that's kinda cool. Haha. 

I did shrink the size of the coins last night at the top of the bezel a little bit and move their placement around and it feels less heavy.   I increased the size of Huey, Louie, and Dewey on the right side of the marquee as well.  Also, halfway through the CPO design, just need to make the instruction card.  I'll post updated pics soon.

Having to watch Duck Tales cartoons on YouTube  lately to reacquaint myself with the shows main characters. Haha. I guess they are making a reboot too which looks pretty cool.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:44:08 am by Wyo »