Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Galaxian Resto (finished)  (Read 13837 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Re: Galaxian Resto
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 09:45:25 am »
Well, nothing to exciting update wise... cleaned up the coin door and painted it and installed a new lock. Other than that I am just stripping the artwork now. Thisoldgame contacted me... told me that since my artwork was off their website and it was only one set it should be here in a couple of weeks. Here is hoping!

Other than that, I have been playing a lot of Galaxian. I think it's an awesome game for sure.

The only other thing I have a question on is if anyone has the highscore save board in there Galaxian and does it work well?

Ian
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
Re: Galaxian Resto (finished)
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2016, 03:34:48 pm »
So I received the artwork and took my time making sure everything came out on point.

The kick plate was a little tricky... It was a little rough along the edge but overall no bubbles and no wrinkles.. it looks fantastic. I used gloss black spray paint on the coin door after sanding it a bit to clean up the rust. I also put in a new lock for the coin door. Coin mechs are original and work great!

Inside the cab I used a gloss black oil based All Surface Enamel from Sherwin Williams. Prepackaged black is the only way to go. I cleaned up the glass, and the original control panel. Left the original artwork on the panel because I liked the character it gave. The joystick still has a lot of play on it but once I got the game working it actually controls very nicely so I think I may just leave it alone. And I replaced the original buttons.

Original Marquee, painted the brackets with a gloss black spray paint.

Side art is from thisoldgame.com, it took about 3 weeks to get it. Great quality and the vinyl was very easy to work with and the colors just pop. No bubbles and it looks great! (my picture looks kind of  funky by the t-molding on the left side. In person it's smooth and looks great)

It was a Great experience... anyone selling a Tapper let me know, it's my goal to have one for my basement bar.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Ian
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 08:18:07 am »
 :cheers:
%Bartop

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2016, 10:34:52 am »
Looks sharp, nice work!  :cheers:

Good luck finding a Tapper, don't see them come up often and when they do they're pricey.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:53 pm »
Great job on the restore! :applaud:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2016, 01:29:31 pm »
Great job! Nice and clean. Glad you did the green t-molding.  :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2016, 05:21:21 pm »
Looks sharp, nice work!  :cheers:

Good luck finding a Tapper, don't see them come up often and when they do they're pricey.

My Tapper quest is here for the long haul... almost got one a couple weeks back for $2000 but It was too much and way too close to the holidays. So the search continues.

Thanks for the nice words guys!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:27 pm »
Nice resto!

Question, what monitor do you have in there?  Any issues with it?  I just got an original Galaxian and the picture is really dark.  Not sure if it needs repair or if I need to turn up the brightness.  Trouble is, it's a Wells Gardner k4500 where the labeled adjustment pots do not work (it's another adjustment somewhere, just don't know where).

DeL
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:34:50 am by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2016, 12:21:29 am »
Nice resto!

Question, what monitor do you have in there?  Any issues with it?  I just got an original Galaxian and the picture is really dark.  Not sure if it needs repair or if I need to turn up the brightness.  Trouble is, it's a Wells Gardner k4500 where the adjustment post do not work (it's another adjustment somewhere, just don't know where).

DeL

It's a Vision Pro MTG2901  which according to the world wide web its a clone of a K7300 I think.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2016, 12:23:39 am »
And out of all of my monitors I have worked on (fourth... lol) this one is the brightest I have every seen. Great picture that is clear and very very bright.... I am almost sad it's in a Galaxian!

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:26 am »
Nice resto!

Question, what monitor do you have in there?  Any issues with it?  I just got an original Galaxian and the picture is really dark.  Not sure if it needs repair or if I need to turn up the brightness.  Trouble is, it's a Wells Gardner k4500 where the adjustment post do not work (it's another adjustment somewhere, just don't know where).

DeL

Yeah. Nice of Wells Gardner to include a remote board that doesn't work!   IIRC brightness adjustment is done by the control knob on the flyback.  It may be glued in place and you'll have to cut the glue so the knob turns.  The color drives are located near the service switch on the monitor.  And if you suddenly find your monitor in vertical collapse check that you didn't bump the service switch (that one cost me several hours of my life I will never get back).

Ian

• Offline Offline
Re: Galaxian Resto
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2017, 10:48:05 pm »
I wonder what romset you have on your dedicated PCB?  I have Galaxian running on my machine and on MAME on an RPI3.  They seem very very similar.   Glad you got it running.

So interesting news.... I got the high score save kit from Joe over at highscoresaves.com. It works great, I highly recommend it... however the game plays just like the Mame game (which obviously would be ideal) yet, the board I bought on Ebay must have been some sort of hack as the game is very fast and exciting without being cheap and difficult. I still only shoot one blast at a time but since the game is much faster my reload time is faster as well. Dare I say it's perfect?

So now I have to return my save kit because damned if I want to play Galaxian all slow, especially now since I am used to the sped up version. I looked at the rom set and it looks like it's been worked on for sure (see the pic below).

I don't know any thoughts? Do you guys want to see a video???

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2017, 10:52:52 pm »
I I'd keep the kit and save it in case you ever decide you want to sell the game. Might be able to get a few extra bucks if you can tout the high score save future. But that's only if you don't need the cash now.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2017, 08:50:35 am »
! No longer available

What the hell... and here... we....go...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:45:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2017, 09:56:08 am »
Interesting.

It's neither of the two Midway-licensed versions -- galaxianm and galaxianmo.

Several hacks have the Midway name at the bottom of the scoring page, but have different text at the top.

Can someone running v0.175 or higher check these two clones?

-  Galaxian (bootleg, set 3) -- galaxbsf2

-  Galaxian (bootleg, set 4) -- galaxianbl2

Screenshots show short laser blasts like Ian's.

Scott

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2017, 10:47:19 am »
I just tried set 3... the laser blasts are short but the ship moves too slow, and set 4 the colors are way off and again short burst slow ship.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:54:52 am by Ian »

behrmr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2017, 12:08:43 am »
Look like super galaxian

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2017, 02:24:44 pm »
I saw two different super galaxians gameplay on youtube... one the shots were way way too fast and the second one the ship moved too slow.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 10:16:24 am »
Well I officially found out what is going on with my PCB.... looks like it is a reprogrammed eeprom galap4 bootleg with the standard Midway graphics roms.

So if you want to play a great version of Galaxian boot up the galap4 rom version. It plays fantastic!  :cheers:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2017, 03:21:59 pm »
I'm finally catching up to this topic.  Machine looks great!  I used a magic eraser on mine and it brightened everything up.  I left the sideart "as is" with the petina of someone carving in their name and high score (with date).  LOL.

I was wondering how the high score kit worked.  :-)  I was thinking of buying one myself.

Let me know if you need me to fix those eproms.  I have a programmer and I'm assuming it can be fixed with replacements.

DeL

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2017, 03:41:30 pm »
I'm finally catching up to this topic.  Machine looks great!  I used a magic eraser on mine and it brightened everything up.  I left the sideart "as is" with the petina of someone carving in their name and high score (with date).  LOL.

I was wondering how the high score kit worked.  :-)  I was thinking of buying one myself.

Let me know if you need me to fix those eproms.  I have a programmer and I'm assuming it can be fixed with replacements.

DeL

No thanks... I love how the game plays. It is pretty awesome. besides the highscore save kit has all of the roms with it to replace the old ones. I have two non working boards I am going to try to bring back to life using my highscore kit but I had to order another processor as the legs on mine just fell off... lol

I saw your video on your machine... I would have kept the sides orginal as well... I liked the name and highscore on the side! That's freaking sweet!

If I can't get my two boards working, I'll send you a pm and sell you the highscore kit cheap.

Ian
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:16:02 pm by Ian »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2017, 03:46:19 pm »
I have a spare board as well, turns out it doesn't work (RAM 2 error).  I'm going to attempt to fix it.  Who know's maybe I'll replace the roms to make it like yours.. LOL.

D

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2017, 12:54:05 pm »
Ah damn it... I broke one of my pins on my Highscore saves galaxian. Just snapped right off... anyway to fix it?

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2017, 03:52:43 pm »
Awesome results on the restoration :applaud:

Did you break an IC leg, or just one of the header pins on the bottom of the board? If it's the second, you can just order some 0.1" headers and solder them in.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:14:28 pm by mourix »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2017, 05:28:46 pm »
Ah damn it... I broke one of my pins on my Highscore saves galaxian. Just snapped right off... anyway to fix it?
You can fix an IC leg.  Just get a socket to solder a wire to from the broken pin's base as explained here:
! No longer available

DeL

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2017, 08:14:17 pm »
If it's the pins I think they are, you'll be better off replacing the whole header.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

behrmr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2017, 08:36:41 pm »
If it's the pins I think they are, you'll be better off replacing the whole header.

Yeah.  This is the correct way if you can.  However socketing the kit and then soldering a wire from the broken pin to the insert of the socket works.  If you do this you may want to add a couple dabs of hot glue to keep the socket affixed to the kit.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2017, 04:30:43 pm »
Thank you guys!