Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Custom 4 Player Arcade Cabinet (Dark TMNT Theme)  (Read 31055 times)

Niels Arcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2018, 05:35:06 am
  • I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html
Re: Custom 4 Player Arcade Cabinet (Dark TMNT Theme)
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2017, 05:40:19 am »
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy a marquee light? Thanks

For my Star Wars cab I used a cheap warm white LED strip I bought at a local store for about 15$. To spread the light I used aluminum foil. The LED strip came with a simple IR remote control dimmer so I can make it as bright or dimmed as I want it to be. I put the IR receiver behind the Marquee plexi with artwork (top left corner in the picture) and if I point the remote within a meter (3 feet) distance it works perfectly.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:46:57 am by Niels Arcade »
I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html

dgrace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:11:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2017, 07:07:32 pm »
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy a marquee light? Thanks

For my Star Wars cab I used a cheap warm white LED strip I bought at a local store for about 15$. To spread the light I used aluminum foil. The LED strip came with a simple IR remote control dimmer so I can make it as bright or dimmed as I want it to be. I put the IR receiver behind the Marquee plexi with artwork (top left corner in the picture) and if I point the remote within a meter (3 feet) distance it works perfectly.

Thanks man.  I like your idea.  Very creative

dgrace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2017, 07:13:44 pm »
Finally starting to put this thing together.  Hopefully going back to bro-in-law's on Tues to continue connecting this bad boy.  Trying to get the box finished before winter really hits here in Idaho.  Gonna be harder to cut outside in the snow:).  Then all I have left to do is paint, graphics, electrical, wire management, etc. 

dgrace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2017, 06:48:49 pm »
Any suggestions on 120 mm usb (I don't know if they have to be USB??) fans for the arcade and where to buy from? I think I'm going to do 2 up top and 2 towards the bottom (on the backside).  Thanks

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2017, 04:52:18 pm »
You don't have to get usb fans, just splice a pc power connector onto a dc power brick. (See below link) I found some LED speed controllable PC Fans which I put in mine.

dgrace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2019, 12:49:54 am »
I'm back and about 95% done with the woodworking. My bro in law has finally had time to help me finish this beast of a project. This project has taken forever but is totally worth it. Will be awesome when it's finished. Once woodworking is finished, on to painting, graphics and electrical.

dgrace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2019, 12:58:26 am »
I'm struggling to figure out what specific cabinet hinges I need for the keyboard/storage area below the control panel. I asked Flynn from Flynn's arcade forum and he couldn't remember which specific hinges he used. I also went to both Home Depot and Lowe's and no one could help me there either. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is literally my last step before I move on to painting. Thanks

This is a pic from Flynn's arcade showing the hinges I'm looking for. Anyone know what kind of hinges these are?

Update: I went to a local advanced hardware store and they were able to help me find the correct hinges. That was a bit of a pain but it looks like we got it figured out. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:53:55 pm by dgrace »

dgrace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2019, 05:36:58 pm »
Update on the arcade. Finally got it all together and painted. Paint job turned out real nice in my opinion, for being the first time I ever painted, literally anything.

Someone with a lot more experience with graphics and photoshop is currently looking at some PSD files I sent him for the side, marquee and CP graphics. Once I get those ordered I should be golden. I'm waiting on the graphics to then finish wiring all the buttons and leds, and placing in the plexi glass. Hopefully i'll be 100% done with this bad boy within the next month. This has been quite the experience. I'll probably do a video of it when it's done. Below are some photos of where i'm at. I have the buttons working so me and the boys can at least enjoy some Ninja Turtles and NBA Jam in the meantime. The joystick plates are currently taped on. I didn't want to screw them in until I got the CP graphics.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:37:48 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2019, 06:57:27 pm »
Is that Virtua Tennis?

dgrace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2019, 06:59:08 pm »
Is that Virtua Tennis?

Yes, I was playing VT4 at the time, from Teknoparrot, just to test a 4 player game. Worked great :)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:37:48 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2019, 08:55:21 pm »
Bro.  I had no idea that existed.

:o

Katana Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2022, 04:41:14 pm
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2020, 06:50:53 am »
dgrace, I love this project, good job!  Any updates?  Did you get any artwork done yet?

By the way, you really should ignore the few loudspoken people against angled joysticks.  Have you noticed how aggressive they speak against it?  I've noticed that it's usually the same handful of guys that seem to hunt down any 4-player control panel projects and take over the thread with their "It's a sin to angle them!" nonsense. 

Let me give you some encouragement.  Take a look at your picture. Angled joysticks allows players 3 and 4 to be looking at the monitor instead of the wall. It also creates a small amount of additional feet/arm space between all of the players.

Poor fella, you got trounced by their agenda which made you second guess your control panel. Here's some actual constructive help that you could do without modification to your current control panel.  You can upgrade your JLW joysticks to UltraStik 360's (which are based on JLW's) which allows you to program the direction: straight or angled. In other words, the joysticks are physically angled, but you can electronically change the direction to anything you want. UltraStiks allows you to program them on-the-fly so you can play 2-player simultaneous doublestick games like SmashTV perfectly. Heck, you don't even need to unscrew your current joysticks if you don't want to. You can add the UltraStik 360 circuit boards to the bottom of your current joysticks.

Keep your head up. Everything is looking great. Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:57:35 am by Katana Man »